5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended warranty

Uga40

Reaction score
Okay, so I bought this truck and am all in but I see that the engine is a ticking time bomb. What are the thoughts of an extended warranty from Mopar? Looks life a 3rd party has an 8 year/100K max care for 2k ? Thoughts on being a worthwhile investment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WReckeR

Reaction score
Uga,
I'm finalizing paperwork this week. The finance guy just floated me an extended warranty over the phone, but we got distracted by his dollar amount. No details. But here, in the forums, I had heard someone say the only one you would want would be Mopar Care? I think that's what it was called. I found your post searching for that string. I'm still trying to find out. Most people are shy about 3rd party warranties, because they can have lots of exclusions, they pay you after you pay the mechanic, and they can be contentious, both asking for lots of information while they explore loopholes, and then trying to deny you when they find the loopholes.

Uga40

Reaction score
This is a 3rd party that sales Mopar warranties, not a 3rd party warranty.

Dodgeramfan

Reaction score
Another thread that discuss extended warranties in detail:

Popular places to buy (with some research in the above thread you will find more):

(1) Ziegler Automotive Group (https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/) – 866-943-7778

(2) Mopar Service Contracts
[email protected]
Jason Edmonson
CR Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - Official Dealer
Warranty Office
2000 Curtis Road
Adrian, MI 49221

(517)662-0400 - Direct Line

Uga40

Reaction score
Thanks, I guess the main difference is the Mopar warranty is refundable if you don't make a claim and keep it for the term

KCViper

Reaction score
I recently got a quote from Ziegler and was well below what I was quoted at dealership!! (same terms)

WReckeR

Reaction score
I recently got a quote from Ziegler and was well below what I was quoted at dealership!! (same terms)
Their online quick quote was easy to use. I may end up with them. The dealer is checking to see if they can beat it.

Uga40

Reaction score
Do the 3rd party quotes include fully refundable provision if it is not used?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2 cents guys from someone that's been doing this a LONG time...

1. NEVER buy a third-party warranty. Stick with an OEM Warranty and get the MOPAR MAX CARE plan
2. Don't buy a MOPAR warranty from your local dealer UNLESS he'll match the pricing from Jason or Ziegler
3. Warranties are refundable in a prorated manner. Just because you never make a claim doesn't mean you get all of your money back

A warranty is like an insurance policy. Whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

@Uga40 ...these engines are NOT ticking time bombs...stop watching BS videos from folks that have no idea what they are talking about. There are millions of these HEMI's on the road with ton's of mileage on them. It is a fantastic motor. However, like anything mechanical, they can have issues. No different than any other manufacturer's motors...just ask a FORD owner ;)

Uga40

Reaction score
My 2 cents guys from someone that's been doing this a LONG time...

1. NEVER buy a third-party warranty. Stick with an OEM Warranty and get the MOPAR MAX CARE plan
2. Don't buy a MOPAR warranty from your local dealer UNLESS he'll match the pricing from Jason or Ziegler
3. Warranties are refundable in a prorated manner. Just because you never make a claim doesn't mean you get all of your money back

A warranty is like an insurance policy. Whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

@Uga40 ...these engines are NOT ticking time bombs...stop watching BS videos from folks that have no idea what they are talking about. There are millions of these HEMI's on the road with ton's of mileage on them. It is a fantastic motor. However, like anything mechanical, they can have issues. No different than any other manufacturers motors...just ask a FORD owner ;)
I was talking about the Ecodiesel engine

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, so I bought this truck and am all in but I see that the engine is a ticking time bomb. What are the thoughts of an extended warranty from Mopar? Looks life a 3rd party has an 8 year/100K max care for 2k ? Thoughts on being a worthwhile investment.

Everyone has their opinion, different finances. I don’t believe in these warranty’s at all. If you can afford it, I’d just trade it just before powertrain warranty is up. That’s what I would do if I was worried about it and I do! My dealer wanted like 2200-8000 for a warranty, I started laughing, he says what’s so funny, I say maybe I shouldn’t be buying this thing if you think I’m going to have all these big repairs. Told him if I start having problems I’ll just get a new truck! Yes they want you to buy these as the dealer gets a kickback for every warranty they sale! Good luck in whatever you decide!

Uga40

Reaction score
Agree, just trying to find out the difference between the max warranty from Mopar and the Ziegler / Chrysler warranty direct offering

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Everyone has their opinion, different finances. I don’t believe in these warranty’s at all. If you can afford it, I’d just trade it just before powertrain warranty is up. That’s what I would do if I was worried about it and I do! My dealer wanted like 2200-8000 for a warranty, I started laughing, he says what’s so funny, I say maybe I shouldn’t be buying this thing if you think I’m going to have all these big repairs. Told him if I start having problems I’ll just get a new truck! Yes they want you to buy these as the dealer gets a kickback for every warranty they sale! Good luck in whatever you decide!
Keep in mind that it isn't just the powertrain you are protecting yourself against. It is all of fancy electronics and computer modules in vehicles now a days. I am not PRO or AGAINST warranties...everyone needs to make up their own mind based on situation. If you're planning to keep the truck for 5+ years, a $200 deductible warranty may be a great choice as one module or piece of electronics can be more than the cost of the warranty. Just sayin'

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine who has always been ram guy tried the ECO in the 4th gen I believe and had nothing but problems, 3 major repairs/same issue in under 80,000 miles. He always had the 5.7 and said never again with the eco. Went back to the 5.7 and loves it. I’ve driven many vehicles, this 5.7 is my favorite so far, I love the performance, power and sounds it makes. First time ram owner here. Maybe they got the issues worked out of the eco in the 5th gen????

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
A friend of mine who has always been ram guy tried the ECO in the 4th gen I believe and had nothing but problems, 3 major repairs/same issue in under 80,000 miles. He always had the 5.7 and said never again with the eco. Went back to the 5.7 and loves it. I’ve driven many vehicles, this 5.7 is my favorite so far, I love the performance, power and sounds it makes. First time ram owner here. Maybe they got the issues worked out of the eco in the 5th gen????
Maybe...not a diesel guy, but this is the new Gen 3 motor.

Users who are viewing this thread