5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended Warranty Options (FCA vs Other)

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think its mostly a consensus, ZEIGLER is the best online retailer to buy a FACTORY MOPAR Extended Warranty.

Everyone seems to be satisfied with the process. Bob Cline at Zeigler has always offered the lowest price, and with the FORUM discount code of "PAYINFULL" saves you another $365 off the online price. Margins are thin, and this is pretty much close to cost!!

Zeigler is recommended highly.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And Ziegler has the easiest cancellation process in the event your Ram is sold, traded or totaled - or you simply change your mind. No hassle cancelling the Extended Warranty like you get at the dealerships where they act like you’re committing a crime or stealing from their children.

Last edited:

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
My dealer straight up lied to me about a 3rd party warranty (said I could not purchase the vehicle without it). If I had my head on right at the time I would've just opted for the Mopar one and called it a day.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had that stunt pulled on me twice. I simply stood up and thanked the ******* finance fool for his/her time. The Sales Manager always met me at my vehicle asking me to come back inside and he would work it out. On one instance the foolish finance fool held firm in front of the Sales Manager and I walked out. The next day the “owner” called to tell me he got the extended warranty requirement “waived” but I told him they had their chance and blew it. Have never been back to that dealership...

I never fall in love with a vehicle and I’m never afraid or hesitant to walk away from a deal. I’ve purchased everything from lumber to drilling rigs for the oilfield for years and never execute an agreement under duress unless it is due to an emergency - and purchasing a vehicle is never an emergency.

In fact, it happened a month ago when we purchased my daughter-in-laws Ram. The finance fool stated you could not purchase an FCA Mopar extended warranty after the sale from the dealership. I laughed and said I’d take that risk...he had the nerve to say it was a bad decision. I pulled up the Ziegler site on my phone and showed him...as soon as he saw it he stated he had heard of them. Lies, just all a bunch of lies to separate you from your hard earned money.

Last edited:

Tobes

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about warranties when going to buy a new Ram. There's a dealership that offers a warranty but it isn't through FCA. Instead they offer something that seems to be provided by another company. The contract mentions "American Road Administrative Company", "American Road Insurance Company" and something about Ford Motor Service Company for my state. The plan is "PremiumCARE", does anyone know anything about this? Is it better or worse than the FCA warranty? Why would a dealership offer this instead of the FCA one?
Also, call other non-owned/affiliated dealerships near you and make them compete against each other. The dealership i bought my 19 Laramie from wanted $3600 and I haggled with 2 other dealerships to land on 10/120k - $2500 all-in (taxes included), $0 ded at their dealership and $100 ded any other RAM dealership. They know this too...so dont let up.

smblt

Reaction score
Also, call other non-owned/affiliated dealerships near you and make them compete against each other. The dealership i bought my 19 Laramie from wanted $3600 and I haggled with 2 other dealerships to land on 10/120k - $2500 all-in (taxes included), $0 ded at their dealership and $100 ded any other RAM dealership. They know this too...so dont let up.

Is this an FCA warranty or a different one? I've been calling around and e-mailing dealerships the last few days, so far I'm only able to get 2 responses and both are for third party warranties.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Is this an FCA warranty or a different one? I've been calling around and e-mailing dealerships the last few days, so far I'm only able to get 2 responses and both are for third party warranties.

Call Bob Cline directly at Zeigler. He will tell you everything you need to know. they sell the genuine MOPAR Vehicle Protection Plan.

Zeigler Chrysler Ford
1186 E M-89
Plainwell MI 49080
866.943.7778 toll free direct
269.685.3557 direct
269.585.6004 fax

The promo code "PAYINFULL" is still active for an additional $365 off!

GregHBNA

Reaction score
I’ve had that stunt pulled on me twice. I simply stood up and thanked the ******* finance fool for his/her time. The Sales Manager always met me at my vehicle asking me to come back inside and he would work it out. On one instance the foolish finance fool held firm in front of the Sales Manager and I walked out. The next day the “owner” called to tell me he got the extended warranty requirement “waived” but I told him they had their chance and blew it. Have never been back to that dealership...

I never fall in love with a vehicle and I’m never afraid or hesitant to walk away from a deal. I’ve purchased everything from lumber to drilling rigs for the oilfield for years and never execute an agreement under duress unless it is due to an emergency - and purchasing a vehicle is ever an emergency.

In fact, it happened a month ago when we purchased my daughter-in-laws Ram. The finance fool stated you could not purchase an FCA Mopar extended warranty after the sale from the dealership. I laughed and said I’d take that risk...he had the nerve to say it was a bad decision. I pulled up the Ziegler site on my phone and showed him...as soon as he saw it he stated he had heard of them. Lies, just all a bunch of lies to separate you from your hard earned money.
REQUIRING an ESP as a part of the sales process is a bunch of BULL**IT!!!! Its simply added profit the dealership is trying to make. And if they're requiring a third party warranty purchase, you really getting screwed.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve known Bob Cline for years and he is a man of honor and integrity. I’ve purchased over a dozen extended warranties from him for my trucks as well as my family members trucks. He is a man you can trust as I have time and time again.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It might be. You would have to ask if it is as most dealerships will try to sell you a 3rd party policy. They make more money off of it and will take that inflated price and roll it into the financing so you can stomach $4 extra a month better than $4000.

Any dealership can sell you an FCA extended warranty but they can also charge whatever they want for it depending on the profit margin they want. Usually the best price you'll get is through an on-line source even though it's still a dealership.

My wife just bought a new Ford Ranger. The finance guy wanted to sell me an extended warranty (and was pushing hard). I asked if it was a Ford policy and he said they offer both Ford and 3rd party. When I asked the price of the Ford policy I pulled out my phone, went to Zeigler's site (they sell Ford extended warranties too) and showed him an initial quote that was $600 less than what he was offering me. He said that was below cost for their dealership and he stopped asking.

I got my extended warranty through Zeigler and will get my wife's Ford one through them too in the next couple of months.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
My wife just bought a new Ford Ranger. The finance guy wanted to sell me an extended warranty (and was pushing hard). I asked if it was a Ford policy and he said they offer both Ford and 3rd party. When I asked the price of the Ford policy I pulled out my phone, went to Zeigler's site (they sell Ford extended warranties too) and showed him an initial quote that was $600 less than what he was offering me. He said that was below cost for their dealership and he stopped asking.

I got my extended warranty through Zeigler and will get my wife's Ford one through them too in the next couple of months.

And of course, your dealer LIED. It was just less money in their pockets.

A dealer can sell you an ESP for what ever price they wanted.... At the end of the month, they are invoiced what ever the cost is, and pay that.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Like others have said. Zeigler is the way to go for a factory warranty.

3rd party warranties are nothing but trouble unless you never plan on going far from the dealership that sold you the warranty.

Many years ago I had a 3rd party warranty. I had a power window motor fail. Took it to another dealership as I moved. Dealership said it was a 3 hr repair. Warranty company said it was a 1 hr repair. Guess who had to pay the difference.

Another time I had to take my vehicle to a "shop" more like a guys house with a big garage for repairs as he was the closest place who accepted the 3rd party warranty rates. This place was over a half hour away in a direction I never go.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And of course, your dealer LIED. It was just less money in their pockets.

A dealer can sell you an ESP for what ever price they wanted.... At the end of the month, they are invoiced what ever the cost is, and pay that.
I agree. Cost is (the same) cost for all the dealerships.

He would not let it go. My wife wanted that truck (not one like it...that specific truck) so walking out was not an option. I did the next best thing by showing him an on-line quote from Zeigler to end the discussion and move on.

Same way with parts. I've been a Ford guy for 20 years prior to this so I'll use them as an example. There is their cost (what they pay for the part), MSRP (suggested retail price), and the there's the list price (the price they want to charge for the part). List price varies by dealership (I've seen the same part sold at one dealership for $200 and $300 at another). Some will not discount the price so they pocket a lot, some will 'discount' you to MSRP and still pocket some cash, and even fewer will sell it below MSRP. Long gone are the days of 'cost + 10%' for those willing to negotiate.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've learned the hard way to never buy another 3rd party extended warranty. Always go with a manufacturer's extended warranty. There are just too many hoops to jump through and potential issues with 3rd party plans. Many of them aren't around long, and are bought out by other companies. Which just adds another layer of difficulty if you ever need to use it. Even when I was having the same dealership who sold me the warranty do the repairs, it was not an easy thing to have it taken care of. I will say that I've always been able to have a covered repair performed. But more times than not I had to pay at least some of the cost out of pocket, then try to get that money back from the warranty company. They intentionally make that process difficult in the hopes that people will just give up out of frustration. Do yourself a favor and go with an FCA (Mopar) plan for your Ram truck.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Online retailers make about $150 off an Mopar ESP.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It might be. You would have to ask if it is as most dealerships will try to sell you a 3rd party policy. They make more money off of it and will take that inflated price and roll it into the financing so you can stomach $4 extra a month better than $4000.

Any dealership can sell you an FCA extended warranty but they can also charge whatever they want for it depending on the profit margin they want. Usually the best price you'll get is through an on-line source even though it's still a dealership.

Yes, they do sell Ford ESP...that his how I first met Bob Cline years and years ago...purchased one from him for our old Ford Explorer my wife was driving. First class service at the lowest price.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Yes, they do sell Ford ESP...that his how I first met Bob Cline years and years ago...purchased one from him for our old Ford Explorer my wife was driving. First class service at the lowest price.

I've known Bob Cline thru Zeigler at least 10 years now. on the Ford and RAM side. Super friendly guy as well.

smblt

Reaction score
My dealer straight up lied to me about a 3rd party warranty (said I could not purchase the vehicle without it). If I had my head on right at the time I would've just opted for the Mopar one and called it a day.

I've never had that happen but they do always try to pitch the warranty. I have only bought a few cars directly from dealerships though. That seems like a criminal tactic, you can always cancel your contract if you're not too far in but you have to read the terms.

I cancelled a time share many years ago after signing up for it and I'd swear they were pumping oxygen in the room or something. I got home and read through everything, realized I couldn't go to any of the places they said for as long as they said and wondered what the heck I was thinking. Canceled within the week window by sending a certified letter, regular letter and calling while I was out of state. I absolutely did not want to be stuck with that.

The reason I asked is because I was not offered that option when we were able to find someone to finally discuss FCA warranties. The highest they could go was only 8 years and, i think, 125k miles. I would totally believe what you and others are saying about them making more from third parties, when they compared them for the same plan the Mopar one was 500 more. I then quoted them the MSRP ( not even the discounted prices) from the links given and they said something like "oh yeah, we can sell you that but we'll be losing money."

One of them offered something through Portfolio Services and another looked like a Ford warranty for a RAM truck. Two others never replied back. The Ford one they claimed wasn't third party. Might not be as bad as other third parties, may even be better, but I don't think I want to find out and I'm not sure why they chose that route for a RAM vehicle.

I know now I can just purchase it online, just sharing my experience. How long has Mopar been offering extended warranties?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased my first Mopar extended warranty back when we purchased a Plymouth Reliant...not going to post how long ago that was...but is was back when Le Iococca was still running the show. And mullets were still in style...and I still had the hair to sport a halfway decent mullet!

Users who are viewing this thread