5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended Warranty Options (FCA vs Other)

smblt

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about warranties when going to buy a new Ram. There's a dealership that offers a warranty but it isn't through FCA. Instead they offer something that seems to be provided by another company. The contract mentions "American Road Administrative Company", "American Road Insurance Company" and something about Ford Motor Service Company for my state. The plan is "PremiumCARE", does anyone know anything about this? Is it better or worse than the FCA warranty? Why would a dealership offer this instead of the FCA one?

Last edited:

RJS

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about warranties when going to buy a new Ram. There's a dealership that offers a warranty but it isn't through FCA. Instead they offer something that seems to be provided by another company. The contract mentions "American Road Administrative Company", "American Road Insurance Company" and something about Ford Motor Service Company for my state. The plan is "PremiumCARE", does anyone know anything about this? Is it better or worse than the FCA warranty? Why would a dealership offer this instead of the FCA one?
Because they make more money on it. The dealer I bought my 19 Laramie from only wanted to talk about the third party warranty they offered and wouldn't give me a price on the Mopar one. They wanted $4800 for the third party and I bought a similar one 8/125 $200 ded from another Ram dealer for about $2100 and I don't need to worry about finding somewhere to get my truck fixed. Not to say all third party warranties are bad but Ram has dealers in most US cities and the 3rd party folks have an 800 number.
Do a search and the usual low cost Ram/Mopar warranty dealers will show up to get prices from.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I bought one from factory, note the website that says Chrysler factory direct is not the factory one. 8 years 80k miles, around 2000 USD, paying over 2 years without interest

smblt

Reaction score
Because they make more money on it. The dealer I bought my 19 Laramie from only wanted to talk about the third party warranty they offered and wouldn't give me a price on the Mopar one. They wanted $4800 for the third party and I bought a similar one 8/125 $200 ded from another Ram dealer for about $2100 and I don't need to worry about finding somewhere to get my truck fixed. Not to say all third party warranties are bad but Ram has dealers in most US cities and the 3rd party folks have an 800 number.
Do a search and the usual low cost Ram/Mopar warranty dealers will show up to get prices from.

Wish I could find more information about it but getting it from some dealers is a real pain. Sounds like I should just go for the Mopar one?

I bought one from factory, note the website that says Chrysler factory direct is not the factory one. 8 years 80k miles, around 2000 USD, paying over 2 years without interest

How can you tell it isn't the factory one? How did I make sure I'm getting the one from the factory?

RJS

Reaction score
Make life simple and get a quote through Ziegler on the factory warranty of your choice for years and miles. Use the code payinfull for a further discount.
Remember the warranty (service contract) starts at the start of your factory warranty so eight years is really 5 additional. These folks are generally the lowest or close to the lowest price on Mopar factory warranties and go from there to compare other warranties. It's all by internet so you don't need to talk to anyone.

Wsmith

Reaction score
What term and coverage are they pushing? My dealer pushed one on me also, a four year plan, but it was supplemental and covered wear items. My dealer never mentioned an FCA extended warranty. They make more on the third party. As stated above get a price from Ziegler, take that to the dealer, if they wont match say no thanks to all of there addon's and get it through Ziegler.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the MOPAR Maxcare 8 year/85,000 mile extended warranty with a $200 deductible from https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ using PAYINFULL discount code which cost me $1175 that will work fine for my needs. Why $200 deductible? The idea is to minimize the amount I pay now and bank on the truck never needing anything except a major failure replacement (engine, transmission, electrical, etc.) which can make a $200 deductible payment miniscule in the big picture. DON'T purchase any plan from a dealer unless it is the genuine MOPAR Maxcare plan and they meet or beat Ziegler's pricing which can be obtained from https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ using PAYINFULL discount code.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factory (FCA) warranty is the only way to go IMO. Recognized and honored at all FCA dealerships.

If you plan to "finance" an extended warranty (money down then 12 monthly payments for the remainder) use the code DAMON2 with Zeigler. That gets you $100 off the policy.

Zeigler sells them at cost so nobody is going to beat them. If they do it's by a few dollars.

I just bought my wife a Ford Ranger this past weekend and they tried to sell me an extended warranty. Unlike most RAM dealers they offered both Ford and 3rd party warranties. Zeigler also does Ford factory warranties. I quickly pulled up a quote from them which was $600 less than what the dealership was offering. They told me that was below their cost and couldn't come close to that and we moved on.

Last edited:

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Wish I could find more information about it but getting it from some dealers is a real pain. Sounds like I should just go for the Mopar one?

How can you tell it isn't the factory one? How did I make sure I'm getting the one from the factory?

I bought by calling the number here -

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought by calling the number here -

I did not go directly to FCA to get my extended warranty. I went through a dealership (Zeigler) to get mine. It's still the same factory warranty. I'm not sure what the price difference is but Zeigler sells them for pretty much cost.

Here are the one's I considered before deciding to go with Zeigler that had the best price for what I was looking for (7 years / unlimited miles / $100 deductible):

Wsmith

Reaction score
I did not go directly to FCA to get my extended warranty. I went through a dealership (Zeigler) to get mine. It's still the same factory warranty. I'm not sure what the price difference is but Zeigler sells them for pretty much cost.

Here are the one's I considered before deciding to go with Zeigler that had the best price for what I was looking for (7 years / unlimited miles / $100 deductible):

I just called and got a quote from "Official Vehicle Vehicle Protection". The 8/100k $200 deductible was $2975.00. 8/125k $200 deductible was $3,650.00. The same plans through Ziegler before using the PAYINFULL credit were: 8/100k $200 deductible = $2,040.00, 8/125k $200 deductible = $2,715.00. I believe the PAYINFULL takes an additional $300 off the plan (may be mistaken). Could be over $1,000.00 less per plan going through Ziegler, them ain't peanuts.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just called and got a quote from "Official Vehicle Vehicle Protection". The 8/100k $200 deductible was $2975.00. 8/125k $200 deductible was $3,650.00. The same plans through Ziegler before using the PAYINFULL credit were: 8/100k $200 deductible = $2,040.00, 8/125k $200 deductible = $2,715.00. I believe the PAYINFULL takes an additional $300 off the plan (may be mistaken). Could be over $1,000.00 less per plan going through Ziegler, them ain't peanuts.
Zeigler is hard to beat.

The PAYINFULL discount code is $365 off the policy. (y)

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Off subject a bit here, but... Does anyone know if our LED headlights/taillights are covered under the Chrysler extended warranty through Ziegler? There is some confusion on this subject on the other Ram forum. It is my understanding that if even one diode goes out they have to replace the entire assembly at a cost of around $900. I am including a picture below of my contract where I believe it says the headlights are covered:

E678048B-C0A7-40AD-9D4E-3C676E905208.jpeg

Wsmith

Reaction score
The word module is the key, I am no more informed than you are. Do the LED's have a driver for the whole housing or each bulb. The word module to me seems like and LED driver. Just a guess on my part, but I bet it would only replace the "module" if a bulb goes out and the module/driver is still functioning you are SOL. This is just a guess on my part.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Give Ziegler a call. That is what I did when I saw high voltage batteries are not covered under the extended warranty. I have an eTorque and they confirmed the battery behind the seat is not covered by the extended warranty but is covered by the 8/80,000 FCA manufacturer warranty.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I called Zeigler and the exact response from them was that the entire headlight assembly is only covered if it was an electronic malfunction that caused it to go out. If it ”just goes out” due to wear, it is not covered. $900 to replace, ouch. Same for the LED taillights.

smblt

Reaction score
What term and coverage are they pushing? My dealer pushed one on me also, a four year plan, but it was supplemental and covered wear items. My dealer never mentioned an FCA extended warranty. They make more on the third party. As stated above get a price from Ziegler, take that to the dealer, if they wont match say no thanks to all of there addon's and get it through Ziegler.

I can't remember exactly, maybe 7 year and 60k was the original offering, except they wanted about $4k for it. It seemed like they could adjust the numbers (miles/years) around but didn't want to budge on the price.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Off subject a bit here, but... Does anyone know if our LED headlights/taillights are covered under the Chrysler extended warranty through Ziegler?"

Nobody wants to build an Everlasting Gobstopper. Companies will have a hard time making money if nobody every needs replacement parts.

LEDs last longer than their halogen counterparts. With an expected LED bult life of 100,000+ hours, I don't expect it to burn out before my extended warranty expires, I would expect the circuitry to go bad way before that. If everything is in one unit then you have to replace the whole unit instead of the failed circuit.

It's a win-win for the supplier and FCA:

1. It's easier to swap out the entire unit than replace bad components...saves on labor costs and the dealership can service more vehicles in the same amount of time (and make more money).
2. Dealerships don't have to staff skilled technicians to do those kinds of repairs.
3. It's easier for the supplier to make entire units. They make more money selling units instead of replacement parts.

I don't know if there's a test that the dealership can run to verify the LED headlamp circuitry to prove if it is the bulb or the circuitry. If they do then there's that small chance that I could be disappointed if...and that's a big if...an LED dies on me in the next 5 1/2 years.

I don't have my headlights selected to ON for DRL (only the white bars above and below my lights) so even if I used my headlights for 4 hours a day, 7 days a week, I still have 67 years to go until I reach 100,000 lamp-hours.

Just my .02

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nobody wants to build an Everlasting Gobstopper. Companies will have a hard time making money if nobody every needs replacement parts.

LEDs last longer than their halogen counterparts. With an expected LED bult life of 100,000+ hours, I don't expect it to burn out before my extended warranty expires, I would expect the circuitry to go bad way before that. If everything is in one unit then you have to replace the whole unit instead of the failed circuit.

It's a win-win for the supplier and FCA:

1. It's easier to swap out the entire unit than replace bad components...saves on labor costs and the dealership can service more vehicles in the same amount of time (and make more money).
2. Dealerships don't have to staff skilled technicians to do those kinds of repairs.
3. It's easier for the supplier to make entire units. They make more money selling units instead of replacement parts.

I don't know if there's a test that the dealership can run to verify the LED headlamp circuitry to prove if it is the bulb or the circuitry. If they do then there's that small chance that I could be disappointed if...and that's a big if...an LED dies on me in the next 5 1/2 years.

I don't have my headlights selected to ON for DRL (only the white bars above and below my lights) so even if I used my headlights for 4 hours a day, 7 days a week, I still have 67 years to go until I reach 100,000 lamp-hours.

Just my .02

Great analysis! Thanks. Same here, I don’t use the actual headlight as a DRL, I just use the “accent light“ strips as DRLs. They should last a long time. If the circuitry does fail then yes it would be covered under the extended warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread