5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

MajorMalfunction

Reaction score
Just had both manifolds replaced on my truck. Both were cracked. To confirm exhaust leak if you are unsure simply spray soapy water around the manifold immediately after a cold start. A leak will show itself.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Just had both manifolds replaced on my truck. Both were cracked. To confirm exhaust leak if you are unsure simply spray soapy water around the manifold immediately after a cold start. A leak will show itself.

That's a good idea. I will put that on the list of things I need to do. I will also take the truck to a different dealer next time.

Woolnerc

Reaction score
I have an leaking manifold on my 2019 dodge ram 1500. 22k miles.
i also have a Cat back Borla exhaust which was professionally installed.
Im being denied coverage under warranty here in Florida. is that right.
Doesn't Magnuson Moss Warranty Act imply that a after market part doesn't void warranty in this case as it cat back and correctly secured.
and advice on how to proceed
i took the truck to another dodge dealer (University dodge), they replaced both manifolds no fuss and were really quick about it. the original dealer Joey Acadia, weren't any help, polite but didn't care or budge. So not all dealer a equal when it comes to warranty i guess.

Tagger

Reaction score
Dealer replaced passenger side manifold January 31 due to crack. 42,500 kms. Says that once replaced very rare to fail again. 🙄

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Dealer replaced passenger side manifold January 31 due to crack. 42,500 kms. Says that once replaced very rare to fail again. 🙄
Did the invoice list a part number for the replacement manifold? If the part number ends in AA that means they still haven’t updated the design.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the invoice list a part number for the replacement manifold? If the part number ends in AA that means they still haven’t updated the design.
Both of mine were replaced with AA so I fully expect it to happen again 👎🏻.

buckeyecool71

Reaction score
My truck is going in tomorrow to replace the passenger side manifold due to a crack in it. Truck has ~51k miles on it, so it is covered under warranty. This is after I took it to the dealer telling them I have an exhaust smell in the cab and the truck is just louder. They looked it over and the bolts and gasket on the exhaust about midway down the truck were broken. They said they checked the manifolds...all good. Whelp...they are not. took it back about a week later after telling them same issue persists...passenger manifold cracked.

Question: Will this cause power loss? I have noticed the truck seems more sluggish and I have a rattle under the truck on the passenger side at highway speeds only. Could this be the heat shield?

RHeller1

Reaction score
This is not affecting performance. If it feels sluggish its because there is something else wrong or its in your head.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is going in tomorrow to replace the passenger side manifold due to a crack in it. Truck has ~51k miles on it, so it is covered under warranty. This is after I took it to the dealer telling them I have an exhaust smell in the cab and the truck is just louder. They looked it over and the bolts and gasket on the exhaust about midway down the truck were broken. They said they checked the manifolds...all good. Whelp...they are not. took it back about a week later after telling them same issue persists...passenger manifold cracked.

Question: Will this cause power loss? I have noticed the truck seems more sluggish and I have a rattle under the truck on the passenger side at highway speeds only. Could this be the heat shield?
It could, anything that effects the volume or velocity of exhaust gas has the potential to create or reduce the performance of the engine.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

A cracked manifold can def negatively affect engine performance. An exhaust leak can cause your truck to experience a reduction in power, acceleration, and even fuel efficiency.

Nels

Reaction score

My truck needed both manifolds replaced at about 30k miles. Now I have an exhaust issue thst sounds similar to what you describe. Its leaking where two pipes join in front of the muffler. I put a socket on it to tighten the bolts and it broke off, so still leaking. Question for you - dis they cover this under warranty?

buckeyecool71

Reaction score
My truck needed both manifolds replaced at about 30k miles. Now I have an exhaust issue thst sounds similar to what you describe. Its leaking where two pipes join in front of the muffler. I put a socket on it to tighten the bolts and it broke off, so still leaking. Question for you - dis they cover this under warranty?
Negative. It was about $150 to complete the repair.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Clubs are cool, but I'm not all that happy about joining this one. The passenger side on my truck started to remind of the days I ran my car uncorked at Brotherhood Raceway, so being curious I pulled the wheel, fender liner, etc. and found my manifold cracked right down the middle. This is on a 2019 Rebel 5.7L with 53K miles. And thank you to everyone that posted previously about this issue and fixes, gave me a a huge head start. I'll think I'll skip the dealer, and go straight to my mig, grind the gasket surface flat, rather than have them install the exact same manifolds with the exact same problem. I could not locate any EO Carb headers for this truck, which would fix this issue, and I then wonder how untreated exhaust gas leaking out of the government approved factory manifolds, which are known to crack and shear bolts, and leak, makes the air any better. There must be thousands of these trucks leaking exhaust gas all over the place.

Manifold Argh.jpg

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Clubs are cool, but I'm not all that happy about joining this one. The passenger side on my truck started to remind of the days I ran my car uncorked at Brotherhood Raceway, so being curious I pulled the wheel, fender liner, etc. and found my manifold cracked right down the middle. This is on a 2019 Rebel 5.7L with 53K miles. And thank you to everyone that posted previously about this issue and fixes, gave me a a huge head start. I'll think I'll skip the dealer, and go straight to my mig, grind the gasket surface flat, rather than have them install the exact same manifolds with the exact same problem. I could not locate any EO Carb headers for this truck, which would fix this issue, and I then wonder how untreated exhaust gas leaking out of the government approved factory manifolds, which are known to crack and shear bolts, and leak, makes the air any better. There must be thousands of these trucks leaking exhaust gas all over the place.

View attachment 120258
Without your location in your avatar, I don't know if these would be acceptable to you. They would work fine for me. I had to do this on my last truck.

There'll be more info here. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/shorty-headers-for-21-ram-1500-5-7.27811/

CARB acceptance for this type of product is a legal, not an engineering, purchased rating. The actual tailpipe emissions will not change, even if you did a complete hand fabricated exhaust and used universal cats of the same type and location. Same with a CAI; just a purchased rating, doesn't change the actual emissions. For these types of replacement products, CARB is an extortion racket. I understand if you must comply in your jurisdiction though.

I'm not worried about the slight amount that would get out of that crack, since I mow my lawn...(y)

Last edited:

Vulpes

Reaction score
Without your location in your avatar, I don't know if these would be acceptable to you. They would work fine for me. I had to do this on my last truck.

There'll be more info here. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/shorty-headers-for-21-ram-1500-5-7.27811/

CARB acceptance for this type of product is a legal, not an engineering, purchased rating. The actual tailpipe emissions will not change, even if you did a complete hand fabricated exhaust and used universal cats of the same type and location. Same with a CAI; just a purchased rating, doesn't change the actual emissions. For these types of replacement products, CARB is an extortion racket. I understand if you must comply in your jurisdiction though.

I'm not worried about the slight amount that would get out of that crack, since I mow my lawn...(y)
Thank you for the links, much appreciated! Now let's exercise the ole credit card. I am in a CARB compliance area, and I get that that an EO for headers is just administrative, not enineering/real world. I'm not too worried about this leak, I was feeling frustrated with a fairly new truck (this is not the only issue it has) and yelling into the wind.

Fixing these manifolds is not sexy work, but a set of shortys sure is :). I'll move over to the header post. Thanks again Bt10!

Users who are viewing this thread