5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Kaiser7519

Reaction score
Ibridge
I got tired of my manifold leak without dealer support to replace them. I just ordered the AFE shorty headers and I plan to wrap them with manifold wrapp

I got tired of my manifold leak without dealer support to replace them. I just ordered the AFE shorty headers and I plan to wrap them with manifold wrapping.
Did the same thing paid almost $1000 for the headers hoping for a permanent fix. Now 6 months later a bad weld on the AFE shorty worse than the manifold crack noise. To add AFE customer service is horrible they want give a time frame on when I'll receive the replacement. About to remove the header and weld it properly. After that the truck will be traded for another brand I'm done with gas burning FCA products. It's pathetic that after over 12 years of this issue on the same engine that it's not corrected.

Kaiser7519

Reaction score
Without your location in your avatar, I don't know if these would be acceptable to you. They would work fine for me. I had to do this on my last truck.

There'll be more info here. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/shorty-headers-for-21-ram-1500-5-7.27811/

CARB acceptance for this type of product is a legal, not an engineering, purchased rating. The actual tailpipe emissions will not change, even if you did a complete hand fabricated exhaust and used universal cats of the same type and location. Same with a CAI; just a purchased rating, doesn't change the actual emissions. For these types of replacement products, CARB is an extortion racket. I understand if you must comply in your jurisdiction though.

I'm not worried about the slight amount that would get out of that crack, since I mow my lawn...(y)
Stay away from the AFE had a cracked weld after 6 months. I know mistakes happen and things are missed sometimes but their customer service in relation to their warranty is horrible.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Thats funny, I now have a leak on mine as well. Two strikes for me: the ceramic coating I had applied has failed and the headers leak now. I will check the welds When I remove them to get them recoated. I hate having to do something twice because of someone else‘s lack of caring.

DSN46

Reaction score
My passenger side has cracked at 13K miles. I also have a different, loud banging noise when placed into gear while engine is cold that dealer can't figure out (flex plate maybe?). At 13K miles.... I'm done with FCA. I can't play the "fix manifold leak" game multiple times over the life of a vehicle. This Rebel will be gone soon. I've owned dozens of trucks and SUV's over my lifetime and only had one manifold leak on an old Jeep Cherokee with 140K miles on it. Those straight sixes were easy to work on though so just replaced it in my garage in an afternoon. Why can't Chrysler make a Hemi that is reliable after all of these years? I really wanted a Hemi...

Scarriere

Reaction score
That’s too bad you guys have had bad experiences.
I had AFE shorties on my wife’s 4th gen with no issues.
I have AFE long tubes on my ‘20 for almost two years, again, zero issues.
I don’t think I could ever have a truck no matter the brand without installing headers.
Here’s a picture for comparison. It looks like the stock exhaust manifolds could be choking the engine, haha.

*edit
I should clarify the zero issues that I said cause that hasn't been true.
I've had a code come up several times. It's sporadic, it could be 5 times in one week or nothing at all for 5 months. Currently, I haven't had that code come up since last summer.
Just an fyi.

Attachments

• 96808AF6-2346-4F5C-8203-8F120C691532.jpeg
    96808AF6-2346-4F5C-8203-8F120C691532.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s too bad you guys have had bad experiences.
I had AFE shorties on my wife’s 4th gen with no issues.
I have AFE long tubes on my ‘20 for almost two years, again, zero issues.
I don’t think I could ever have a truck no matter the brand without installing headers.
Here’s a picture for comparison. It looks like the stock exhaust manifolds could be choking the engine, haha.
I don't see the AFE Long Tube Headers on the AFE website anymore for our 5th Gen trucks?

Scarriere

Reaction score
I don't see the AFE Long Tube Headers on the AFE website anymore for our 5th Gen trucks?
That’s also too bad.
Maybe it’s a supplier thing? Steel is hard to come by maybe?
You should email AFE and see if they’re coming back in stock sometime.
I think these AFE long tubes are the only ones that are 1 3/4 primaries. The others that I looked at were 1 7/8, which I didn’t want.

Greg10yes

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Longhorn, I have 2 broken bolts on the passenger side manifold, most dealers I have reached out to say the parts are on back order for a couple of months, 2 online sources show the parts as obsolete. Has anyone heard they are redesigning them?

Attachments

• E4DC8343-58D4-40DE-80F9-38ECD1FCA69B.png
    E4DC8343-58D4-40DE-80F9-38ECD1FCA69B.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 26

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Longhorn, I have 2 broken bolts on the passenger side manifold, most dealers I have reached out to say the parts are on back order for a couple of months, 2 online sources show the parts as obsolete. Has anyone heard they are redesigning them?
Hmmm, broken bolts on the DTs don't seem to be as common as a cracked manifolds. I wouldn't be surprised if you find out the manifold is cracked versus broken bolts.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Hmmm, broken bolts on the DTs don't seem to be as common as a cracked manifolds. I wouldn't be surprised if you find out the manifold is cracked versus broken bolts.
Might depend on region. Down here where I am in, I see 1 cracked manifold to probably 10-15 vehicles with broken studs.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might depend on region. Down here where I am in, I see 1 cracked manifold to probably 10-15 vehicles with broken studs.
Interesting, I just haven't seen many post on here about the studs being broken.
Hopefully this manifold/studs thing will be a thing of the past with the new Hurricane engine.

Ratchet

Reaction score
I sure hope so because the ol 4.7 engine was a manifold bolt eater as well. Had a stud fail on both sides of my previsous 2014 5.7 Grand Cherokee at at 37K. But I also drove the crap out of it. wouldn't ya know, had a stud break around 38K on my Ram. Wasn't a big deal to fix since it didn't break off flush to the manifold or cylinder head. As far as broken studs, I generally see the most failures of the top stud closest to the firewall. Strong second for the bottom stud nearest the firewall. Both of these on the passender side exhaust manifold by the way.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sure hope so because the ol 4.7 engine was a manifold bolt eater as well. Had a stud fail on both sides of my previsous 2014 5.7 Grand Cherokee at at 37K. But I also drove the crap out of it. wouldn't ya know, had a stud break around 38K on my Ram. Wasn't a big deal to fix since it didn't break off flush to the manifold or cylinder head. As far as broken studs, I generally see the most failures of the top stud closest to the firewall. Strong second for the bottom stud nearest the firewall. Both of these on the passenger side exhaust manifold by the way.
Crazy to think it's been an issue this long. I had several studs replaced on my 2014 under 60k and now had both manifolds crack on this one under 30k 😞.
Any words on a new manifold manufacturer?

drsmitty74

Reaction score
My 2019 Limited has 59,700 miles and the tick noise started and got better as it warmed. Took it in, and sure enough, the passenger side exhaust manifold had cracked. Luckily, it is being covered by the PWT warranty. Parts are due to come on the middle of May. My dealer said they are now sold in pairs......(hmmmmmm), so that I would be getting both sides done on the same visit.

drsmitty74

Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with them being sold as a pair now instead of individually. My dealer told me that he couldn't even order one side only.

THT

Reaction score
2019 Limited. 73k. Loud ticking from passenger side. Call dealer. “Yup, we know what that is. Bring it in. Be about $1500”

Why is there not a TSB or a class action lawsuit on this? I’d be willing to join the class.

My Limited spent three of its first four weeks in the shop without ever getting all issues resolved.

I’ve had a leaky sunroof since day 1. Had to have all new brakes after two months. For over 20,000 miles now, the door sensor does not accurately work - which causes a LOT of problems and I honestly believe it stems from when the first dealer had the truck in over 20 pieces with the complete door panel and headliner removed and STILL didn’t fix the leaky sunroof. I don’t have water coming in now but there is certainly an air gap unless I put about 25 pounds of pressure on the sun roof after it’s closed. One thing after another after another. Hundreds of dollars spent on other stuff that dealer says wasn’t covered under warranty Over the last three years.

This is my 5th Ram 1500, 2 have been Limiteds, a Durango and a Chrysler LHS since 1999. I’d say this is my last Ram/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/Jeep or whatever they manufacturer now.

RamCares knew about the brakes and the sunroof issue and I had to force them to fix the brakes after I found the TSB. I just keep driving it because I can’t trade it and I’d need to spend yet another $1500 to get it sell worthy.

Shame on you Ram. Documented issues for years on end. @RamCares doesnt seem to care.

PaGregSS

Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer and my driver's side manifold is cracked at 47K miles. Passenger side was cracked and replaced a year ago. Looking like June until they get parts.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
...my 19 has 80k on it... dealer just did the manifolds but once they crack; or if they crack again... I will go to headers.. The tech was saying from the 4th to 5th gen they changed the bolts.. now the bolts don't usually break but the manifolds crack.. has to liekly be due to heat and the junk metal in the world these days is my guess.

...Just say the post on the brakes having a TSB.. may need to go track that down now....had not heard that one yet.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going to be calling my dealer about this tomorrow. Loud ticking from passenger side that goes away once the truck is warm. I‘m sure it’s probably the manifold. 2020 at 28,4xx miles.

Users who are viewing this thread