5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Reverse

Reaction score
It's a problem with the previous generation (DS) as well, our 2014 received new bolts on both sides.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Well my truck has been at the dealer for a couple of weeks now for the manifold issue. I mentioned a couple of times that the 19 and 20's are experiencing cracked manifolds, not necessarily the broken bolts from before so maybe to make sure, they should pull the heat shield off and check the manifold itself. Well they said they did and my manifold must be made totally different(insert extreme sarcasm here) than everyone else's so they are just having to replace bolts only. I find that hard to believe but we shall see. If it still makes the noise when they are done then I am going to track down the mechanic and smash his face in. Nothing worse than having to drive a loaner worth less than half what your own vehicle is worth while you continue to have to make payments on it.
Update... so I got my truck back after a month and a half... I was right, the passengers side manifold was cracked, they even had it on the receipt. This was of course after arguing with me that it was the bolts. So its quiet now and back to normal.

ArtieD

Reaction score
Update... so I got my truck back after a month and a half... I was right, the passengers side manifold was cracked, they even had it on the receipt. This was of course after arguing with me that it was the bolts. So its quiet now and back to normal.
Well brought my truck in for snapped bolts driver side exhaust manifold , and it was about an hour and half ,before convincing them it was covered under powertrain warranty I have 44k on a 2020 1500 big horn , I can't believe that I had to call FCA and the place of original purchase, before they would even check it, FCA said it is covered till 2025 or 60k where I got the truck from but nobody would call each other to confirm , the truck is in south carolina and I bought it in new york ,
They quoted me $1600 for both sides changed out , now with warranty they will only replace driver side not passenger side , I dont get it if its under warranty you cant do both sides ? it is an upgraded manifold , the passenger side is easier , ????? if it fails after 60k then I might go stainless headers ,
I always have bad luck getting warranty work done Thats y I dont buy extended warrantys I have yet to waltz in someplace to get something fix without a big stressful drama scene , But I hear other people walk in get loaner cars and their truck fixed and detailed with out any drama , what is up with that ? O well at least 1/2 is getting done anyway , Just a little rant

INVISBLE

Reaction score
That's messed up considering the exhaust manifold is a msrp priced part of a whopping $123. So how does $250 turn into $1500. And how could they only warranty one side but not both. What warranty do you have?

ArtieD

Reaction score
That's messed up considering the exhaust manifold is a msrp priced part of a whopping $123. So how does $250 turn into $1500. And how could they only warranty one side but not both. What warranty do you have?
Its the 60k 5 year that ram gives you, They said it wasn't leaking so they only replaced the driver side ,,,Got it back yesterday did a couple cold starts sounds good now , It definitely is a slightly modified manifold , hopefully the other side goes before I hit 60k , I got it late so I am going to change the oil and get a better look I think the 1500 is them thinking worst case scenario of drilling out broken bolts , I dont know though dealers seem to overprice everything

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine just stated to leak. I am at 52k miles so at least I can get it replaced under warranty. My truck has been perfect so far and this is the only issue I have had. However, I feel that this type of failure should have been resolved. I had both replaced over the years on my 2010. Since we all know that was a weak part, I would have thought that would have been resolved on the new platform.

ArtieD

Reaction score
Mine just stated to leak. I am at 52k miles so at least I can get it replaced under warranty. My truck has been perfect so far and this is the only issue I have had. However, I feel that this type of failure should have been resolved. I had both replaced over the years on my 2010. Since we all know that was a weak part, I would have thought that would have been resolved on the new platform.
Yes , this is the most comfortable truck I owned , I run 12 hr trips to ny and florida from south carolina sometimes 4 times a month, and some are a turn and burn back home ,great power even with 37s ,
It was like an hour or 2 of phone calls before they honored the warranty , so just make sure u bring that right up first ! ok Good Luck !

ArtieD

Reaction score
They told me it was snapped bolts but receipt says crack manifold , so I wonder what it was ,, It started as a tick then full blown exhaust leak loud

INVISBLE

Reaction score
They told me it was snapped bolts but receipt says crack manifold , so I wonder what it was ,, It started as a tick then full blown exhaust leak loud
They tried to tell me the same thing, only I already knew it was cracked and argued that to them for well over a month.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tha is.mmmmmm
Yes , this is the most comfortable truck I owned , I run 12 hr trips to ny and florida from south carolina sometimes 4 times a month, and some are a turn and burn back home ,great power even with 37s ,
It was like an hour or 2 of phone calls before they honored the warranty , so just make sure u bring that right up first ! ok Good L
It was like an hour or 2 of phone calls before they honored the warranty , so just make sure u bring that right up first ! ok Good Luck !
Thanks. I hope it’s not a battle.

GARebel19

Reaction score
So today is the first time I noticed my HEMI sounds louder and it only has 15k miles on it. I made this quick video maybe someone can tell me if it sounds like the exhaust manifold. Definitely louder on the passenger side.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So today is the first time I noticed my HEMI sounds louder and it only has 15k miles on it. I made this quick video maybe someone can tell me if it sounds like the exhaust manifold. Definitely louder on the passenger side.

Yes that sounds like it. It usually goes away once they heat up but ticks like crazy for the first 5 minutes.

BPI

Reaction score
Well I have 48,000 kms on my 2019 truck and just had it into the dealer for the same issue my 2009 was plagued with. Clearly Dodge has done nothing to fix the problem. They have told me both manifolds are cracked but I haven't crawled under the truck to look for myself. My 09 broke manifold bolts every 50,000kms consistently until I traded it in on this one. Very disappointed.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
It will be a cracked manifold just like mine was, it will resolve the issue and go back to the quiet start it originally had...

mayer7196

Reaction score
I just bought my Ram last week (used) and I didn't notice it until two days ago. Ok, Its a 2020 and only has 20k miles on it, but my question is, even if they replace both manifolds/bolts/shield/seals what's to say it won't happen again?

Are the new replacements the exact same as the ones they installed? Is it just the luck of the draw of getting a manifold that warps and causes this issue?

Who of you, if any, had it replaced early (before 50k) and then drove 100k+ without it happening again?

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes that sounds like it. It usually goes away once they heat up but ticks like crazy for the first 5 minutes.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last truck was a 2010. One manifold went at about 3 years and 40k miles. The other went about 8 years and 90k miles. Sold the truck at 9-1/2 years 130k miles. Never had another issue. Truck was very reliable with no issues at all other than a blend door once on hvac and wheel bearings at 120k miles. So far my 2019 has been an awesome truck Reliabilty wise. This is the first real issue I’ve had at approximately 52k miles. I am disappointed they didn’t fix this well known issue, but overall the truck has been almost flawless.

ArtieD

Reaction score
I just bought my Ram last week (used) and I didn't notice it until two days ago. Ok, Its a 2020 and only has 20k miles on it, but my question is, even if they replace both manifolds/bolts/shield/seals what's to say it won't happen again?

Are the new replacements the exact same as the ones they installed? Is it just the luck of the draw of getting a manifold that warps and causes this issue?

Who of you, if any, had it replaced early (before 50k) and then drove 100k+ without it happening again?
they told me its a new part number that has a stiffing steel band on it ,it is visible and different from the original but I doubt it really is the fix ! oh well time will tell

B-Rebel

Reaction score
Had this same sound. Took out the wheel liner and took a look for myself. Sure enough broken bolts, and no obvious crack in manifold. If it were a manifold, I would have swapped out for something aftermarket.
I’m at 60,382 miles on the odometer. Was hoping they might work with me since I’m slightly out of warranty, but figured how expensive can a couple broken bolts be to replace? Your answer: $970 🤯.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Very disappointing this is such a common issue in engines with such low miles. When I have time I'll take the heat shield off of mine and confirm what's up before wasting any time at my local dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/