5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

flinstigator

Reaction score
My 2019 had the ticking until warm that started at about 40K miles. I brought it in about 2 weeks ago at 43K and they found bolts sheared off at cylinders 7 and 8. Manifold was intact and they replaced 8 bolts. No more ticking.

Bob.

Reaction score
Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum
Cylinder Block Material: Cast-iron

I assume the 5.7 exhaust manifolds are cast iron?
Aftermarket headers are either cast iron or machined stainless steel correct?

I wonder if they added a thick steel spacer plate it would stiffen the manifolds so the problem would go away? Maybe not enough room between the fenders or firewall?

In all my years of vehicles owned, I never ran into header problems. This is my first 5.7 Hemi.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum
Cylinder Block Material: Cast-iron

I assume the 5.7 exhaust manifolds are cast iron?
Aftermarket headers are either cast iron or machined stainless steel correct?

I wonder if they added a thick steel spacer plate it would stiffen the manifolds so the problem would go away? Maybe not enough room between the fenders or firewall?

In all my years of vehicles owned, I never ran into header problems. This is my first 5.7 Hemi.
I had the same problem on a 2004 F150. It is not too unusual. Aluminum and Iron have different coefficients of expansion.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Well I’ve grown tired of the startup exhaust leak and I started removing my headers (PITA BTW). Confirmed that the header is cracked about an inch at the back cylinder, drivers side. You can see the light coming through. You can also see the ceramic coating that is flaking off like burnt paint. Why do Ram Hemi’s hate exhaust manifolds so much?! :p 0CB12F43-043D-4989-9C6C-4FD90804CEF4.jpeg 3564E369-81B9-4056-ABC4-6894535C3C70.jpeg

Attachments

• A7D23BA0-4145-4465-8E28-6315BA20C7FE.jpeg
    A7D23BA0-4145-4465-8E28-6315BA20C7FE.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Ram1992

Reaction score
well this morning I noticed the exhaust leak, looked at the passenger side manifold and the manifold bolt head has snapped off. Dropped off at dealership. Hope powertrain warranty will cover it at 52k . @RamCares

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
well this morning I noticed the exhaust leak, looked at the passenger side manifold and the manifold bolt head has snapped off. Dropped off at dealership. Hope powertrain warranty will cover it at 52k . @RamCares
That would be good to know if I ever have the issue

mikegriffin84

Reaction score
Is it necessary to wrap the shorty headers? I am looking at getting the AFE headers and would like to avoid wrapping them unless it is absolutely required or will cause some kind of issue.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well I’ve grown tired of the startup exhaust leak and I started removing my headers (PITA BTW). Confirmed that the header is cracked about an inch at the back cylinder, drivers side. You can see the light coming through. You can also see the ceramic coating that is flaking off like burnt paint. Why do Ram Hemi’s hate exhaust manifolds so much?! :p View attachment 129430 View attachment 129431

Were those eBay headers? I’ve seen better welds in my high school shop class. No wonder they cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They were covered on my 4th gen under the powertrain warranty at 55k when a couple studs sheared off. Heres to hoping 🤞

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it necessary to wrap the shorty headers? I am looking at getting the AFE headers and would like to avoid wrapping them unless it is absolutely required or will cause some kind of issue.
I personally would not wrap them. Ceramic coating can help with heat issues, and not hold water encouraging rust like wrap.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Were those eBay headers? I’ve seen better welds in my high school shop class. No wonder they cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might as well have been. AFE, direct purchase from Mfg. I’m not impressed either. Must have been made on a “bring your kid to work” day. I’m not a professional welder but I wouldn’t be showing people my welds if they looked like that.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might as well have been. AFE, direct purchase from Mfg. I’m not impressed either. Must have been made on a “bring your kid to work” day. I’m not a professional welder but I wouldn’t be showing people my welds if they looked like that.
Don't laugh too hard at just AFE. I've had Hooker headers around year 2000 that had to be totally rewelded also, as well as removing a golfball size wad of cold weld inside the collector. 🤪

At my second manufacturing job, one of our high class salesman came out to nag at the welding supervisor. He was complaining that he was showing a customer a prototype of a weldment, and he was secretly embarrassed at the crap welds. This salesman had more input than the supervisor on the wage of welders in this small co'. Weld supervisor says, "You pay $15/hr, you get a $15/hr weld". "Enlightenment" was had, so they simply lowered their targeted customer quality level. 🤣

cw_mi

Reaction score
Add another to the ever growing list. 2019 with 29k miles. Both exhaust manifolds are cracked. Dealer told me it could be up to 6 months until they get them. Very disappointed this is happening with such frequency on these trucks.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Don't laugh too hard at just AFE. I've had Hooker headers around year 2000 that had to be totally rewelded also, as well as removing a golfball size wad of cold weld inside the collector. 🤪

At my second manufacturing job, one of our high class salesman came out to nag at the welding supervisor. He was complaining that he was showing a customer a prototype of a weldment, and he was secretly embarrassed at the crap welds. This salesman had more input than the supervisor on the wage of welders in this small co'. Weld supervisor says, "You pay $15/hr, you get a $15/hr weld". "Enlightenment" was had, so they simply lowered their targeted customer quality level. 🤣
Business neighbor is an industrial fabrication shop. They are making the repair to the manifold since I can’t wait for AFE to play the warranty game.

Shop manager said that they are struggling to find qualified welders let alone guys that are reliable. So many amazing opportunities out there for people who actually want to work.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know if I ever recorded mine here. 🤪 Mine cracked at approx 25k miles, don't remember exactly. Haven't brought it up to the dealer because, honestly, it would end up being a passive aggressive sparring debate on if they were REALLY bad, if they're covered, blah, blah, blah. I'll get to the end of warranty with the cold tick and change them for aftermarket. Sad I have to wait on the lifter warranty to properly fix anything.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know if I ever recorded mine here. 🤪 Mine cracked at approx 25k miles, don't remember exactly. Haven't brought it up to the dealer because, honestly, it would end up being a passive aggressive sparring debate on if they were REALLY bad, if they're covered, blah, blah, blah. I'll get to the end of warranty with the cold tick and change them for aftermarket. Sad I have to wait on the lifter warranty to properly fix anything.
I'm confused on how they could argue or debate a cracked manifold or broken stud? If your truck is under warranty and your manifold is cracked then it's pretty black and white.

Ram1992

Reaction score
I finally received a call from my local dealership. They have confirmed both the sheared mounting studs and cracked exhaust manifolds . They have put me on a list and once the replacement manifolds become available they will call me and make the repairs. I’m considering going with shorty headers .

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1652919515093.jpeg

“Your manifolds are not cracked” o_O

Are dealerships rated on how much warranty they spend from FCA? I know it does pay less than customer pay.

You should find my post about oil changes at the dealer…

Ram1992

Reaction score
Well I have installed the JBA shorty headers. What a pain that was . Don’t recommend it unless you have tiny hands and long arms. I will post pictures when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread