5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed in that video, on the box for the new manifolds that the part number was the same as the original manifolds. As many here already know, mopar updates their part numbers with revised letters like 68365738AA to 68365738AB to 68365738AC and so on. Maybe there was a batch of bad castings, but I doubt it considering the ages of the trucks affected.
Hopefully just a bad batch of castings, time will tell I guess.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I looked up the manifold prices and they are about $95 a side, the passenger side appears to be the one that is backordered. I found a couple of the dodge parts sites had the drivers side in stock.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t see it a bad batch. They added braces for the bolts. Fixing one issue causes another. In away I bet they are ok with it too. It would probably cost the manufacturer less to just replace cracked manifolds over adding tech hours for broken bolt extraction.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I agree. Which means I could be looking at having them replaced several times over the next few years.

270wsmhunter

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn with just under 32k miles on it and it's going in on Wednesday to diagnose cold start tick "exhaust leak" passenger side. Dealership already advised that they've done 3 recently and parts take awhile to get. I've been happy with my pickup and didn't realize they were having issues with this.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Well my AFE Twisted Steel Shorty Headers arrived today and I took them in for ceramic coating. Unfortunately it will take 2weeks for processing but after that I am going to dive in and tackle this leaky manifold that the dealer refuses to fix. I also bought some ARP stainless bolts to keep these exhaust headers snug to the heads. I do not want to deal with leaky, stinky, noisy manifolds again. Not an out of pocket cost I wanted to spend but the hassle and frustration with multiple trips to the dealer has a cost as well.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my AFE Twisted Steel Shorty Headers arrived today and I took them in for ceramic coating. Unfortunately it will take 2weeks for processing but after that I am going to dive in and tackle this leaky manifold that the dealer refuses to fix. I also bought some ARP stainless bolts to keep these exhaust headers snug to the heads. I do not want to deal with leaky, stinky, noisy manifolds again. Not an out of pocket cost I wanted to spend but the hassle and frustration with multiple trips to the dealer has a cost as well.
Cant wait to hear about your results with the shorty's. Keep us posted.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will have to put this on my Wish List.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I was shopping these AFE and JBA headers online across multiple sites and I found that AFE had random price drops or sales that made them cheaper than some of their vendors.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Also, ARP fasteners for this application: part number 440-1201. Summit Racing had about as good a price as anyone. I chose 12pt heads for helping get a socket wrench on these in tight quarters, and I opted for stainless for longevity, not just aesthetics. I'm going with satin black ceramic coating as this was supposed to be the best at thermal resistance/under hood temp mitigation.

ARP 440-1201 for Hemi Headers

Awesome video for those of us who appreciate American manufacturing and excellence!

ARP Manufacturing Tour

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Ceramic coating shop got the headers coated a week ahead of schedule! Happy camper.

There is still some weld splatter that I could have cleaned up, but I don't really care. These are going on a truck, not a show car. The owner of the shop commented on the quality of the AFE headers based upon weight. This shop processes LOTS of parts and she said she has seen people spend thousands on worse headers than this. I am not claiming AFE's are the best, but they are good in the eyes of this coating shop.

F2A21CE1-3941-474D-8583-3F23F33AA021.jpeg 417EF7D4-A6F2-410C-BB41-EC1BAC43E01F.jpeg

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I’d be curious to see if ceramic coated factory manifolds would solve the cracking problem.
My ceramic coating application cost $279.
I will be taking temperature readings of the factory cast iron manifolds vs these ceramic coated headers for posterity’s sake.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d be curious to see if ceramic coated factory manifolds would solve the cracking problem.
My ceramic coating application cost $279.
I will be taking temperature readings of the factory cast iron manifolds vs these ceramic coated headers for posterity’s sake.
Would love to see those numbers 👍🏼

Hereford

Reaction score
Left cracked at around 45k and now the right at 67k. I want it fixed but doubt I'll spend the money to fix since out of warranty. Pitiful they cant get it right.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Left cracked at around 45k and now the right at 67k. I want it fixed but doubt I'll spend the money to fix since out of warranty. Pitiful they cant get it right.
It is sad they still can't get this right. I would get it fixed though, it will effect performance and gas mileage 😬. Might be worth a call to the dealership to see if they will work with you since you are only 7k miles past the powertrain warranty.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It is sad they still can't get this right. I would get it fixed though, it will effect performance and gas mileage 😬. Might be worth a call to the dealership to see if they will work with you since you are only 7k miles past the powertrain warranty.
And why bother since it's still a flawed design. Spend all that cash and they may last 100k miles, or <10k. It's an expensive gamble.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And why bother since it's still a flawed design. Spend all that cash and they may last 100k miles, or <10k. It's an expensive gamble.
If the dealership won't work with him then I would def go with aftermarket that way you know you get a better product. Like you mentioned I also wouldn't pay for more crappy OEM manifolds.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Does anyone know the estimated shop time to replace exhaust manifolds? Torque Spec for the bolts? I found 32ft-lbs on a 4th gen site. I would imagine it is the same...

Users who are viewing this thread