5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Rebel 12

Reaction score
Just curious how many of us with cracked manifolds tow regularly? Wandering if the excessive heat from towing is causing these cracks. I tow pretty regularly and have had both manifolds crack with less than 25k.....
I have only towed a hand full of times. Once was for 10 hours.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Glad to here it all worked out for you. I have the same problem. It sounds like a better way to go instead of the same stock problem. Is there any interior sound difference (loader ) have you towed with it yet? I don't want to listen to it roar when I'm pulling my travel trailer
No real difference in the cab. I love the sound of the hemi but I appreciate how quiet these trucks are on the road. I haven't towed with it since the swap but I don’t anticipate any noticeable change from before, this is not as dramatic as swapping out the muffler or intake. I have a trip planned in July where I will be towing a 34’ travel trailer and I’ll report back.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I have only towed a hand full of times. Once was for 10 hours.
I too only tow on an infrequent basis. 4 times a year. I didn‘t notice my crack developing immediately after a long hard tow. But it has to be thermal. The coloring
my parts seemed to indicate the manifold at the center two cylinders was cooking.

My commute is about 30min one way mostly highway, not a short thermal cycle.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
No real difference in the cab. I love the sound of the hemi but I appreciate how quiet these trucks are on the road. I haven't towed with it since the swap but I don’t anticipate any noticeable change from before, this is not as dramatic as swapping out the muffler or intake. I have a trip planned in July where I will be towing a 34’ travel trailer and I’ll report back.
My truck is at the Dealership now. If this happens again I will definitely putting on headers. That sounds like the way to go so it doesn't happen again.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday. Dealer said I also had 2 broken exhaust bolts. So does one have anything to do with the other? Does the manifold break the bolts or does the bolts breaking let the manifold move enough to crack it.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday. Dealer said I also had 2 broken exhaust bolts. So does one have anything to do with the other? Does the manifold break the bolts or does the bolts breaking let the manifold move enough to crack it.
Did they tell you which bolts were broken?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Its also possible they broke them when removing the old manifolds, and were like "oh, yeah, it was that way when it came in, do it under his warranty..."

Not that it matters to you or us at all, but just sayin'. :)

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Well my truck has been at the dealer for a couple of weeks now for the manifold issue. I mentioned a couple of times that the 19 and 20's are experiencing cracked manifolds, not necessarily the broken bolts from before so maybe to make sure, they should pull the heat shield off and check the manifold itself. Well they said they did and my manifold must be made totally different(insert extreme sarcasm here) than everyone else's so they are just having to replace bolts only. I find that hard to believe but we shall see. If it still makes the noise when they are done then I am going to track down the mechanic and smash his face in. Nothing worse than having to drive a loaner worth less than half what your own vehicle is worth while you continue to have to make payments on it.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I agree. I’m sure a Cadillac dealer wouldn’t put an Escalade owner in a Chevy Aveo. I don’t even get a loaner anymore. The dealership makes more money selling the loaner cars than taking care of clients.
Did you start a case with ram cares? Lemon laws and building a case depends on down time of a vehicle from what I understand. They will take care of you if you work with corporate. Dealers are hit and miss.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my truck has been at the dealer for a couple of weeks now for the manifold issue. I mentioned a couple of times that the 19 and 20's are experiencing cracked manifolds, not necessarily the broken bolts from before so maybe to make sure, they should pull the heat shield off and check the manifold itself. Well they said they did and my manifold must be made totally different(insert extreme sarcasm here) than everyone else's so they are just having to replace bolts only. I find that hard to believe but we shall see. If it still makes the noise when they are done then I am going to track down the mechanic and smash his face in. Nothing worse than having to drive a loaner worth less than half what your own vehicle is worth while you continue to have to make payments on it.
I would ask them to check the manifold again. It's possible it is the bolts but unlikely. Both of my manifolds were cracked right down the middle. I am still waiting for the driver side manifold because it's on national backorder (go figure). I have been driving my truck with the drivers side cracked, it's annoying as hell but still drivable. Not sure why they would have your truck for a couple weeks if it were only broken bolts.

Last edited:

Rebel 12

Reaction score
Its also possible they broke them when removing the old manifolds, and were like "oh, yeah, it was that way when it came in, do it under his warranty..."

Not that it matters to you or us at all, but just sayin'. :)
Ya I can see that happening. Or they just said that so they could bill more time to it. I tried looking to see if I could see any that was missing. I took the heat shield off I didn't notice any.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I agree. I’m sure a Cadillac dealer wouldn’t put an Escalade owner in a Chevy Aveo. I don’t even get a loaner anymore. The dealership makes more money selling the loaner cars than taking care of clients.
Did you start a case with ram cares? Lemon laws and building a case depends on down time of a vehicle from what I understand. They will take care of you if you work with corporate. Dealers are hit and miss.
Interesting thing about a loaner... you dont qualify for lemon law time limits if the dealer offers you one. So I drive this one like I stole it. And we drive it literally everywhere now. Dont even bother driving the wife's Jeep anymore. If they dont have my truck done by the end of next week, the loaner is going on a road trip.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
Got my truck back last Thursday. And now I think the driver's side is bad. I ask them to check the driver's side while they have it in. So I wouldn't have to come back. Looks like I'm going back.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
LOL, I just called to check on when my backordered parts would be in. ETA of 45 days. I got a float trip that i am taking my camper too in July. 5hr drive each way. Could towing with cracked manifolds hurt anything? My camper loaded is not super heavy, but the wind drag makes the truck have to work a bit.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I am fine waiting. Mine is under warranty still. I will let someone out of warranty jump on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online