5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Kirill

Reaction score
Have same issues at 22K, brought to dealer and they said driver side manifold cracked. Been waiting for 1 month to get the part. Called dealer several times. Service department is blame COVID for longer shipping time........ Is it that a joke.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have same issues at 22K, brought to dealer and they said driver side manifold cracked. Been waiting for 1 month to get the part. Called dealer several times. Service department is blame COVID for longer shipping time........ Is it that a joke.
Covid has caused lot of delays.

Dijjymon

Reaction score
I’m going thru the same issue. On cold starts I can hear the ticking sound for about 10 seconds. Not sure if it’s the lifters or manifold. Also when I drive next to a wall I can hear the ticking noise on the passenger side.
How’d you make out? My 19 CPO with 19k miles just developed the same issue. Bringing it to the dealership tomorrow..

Disposer

Reaction score
How many miles does Ram cover the repairs? My '19 sounds terrible at startup, the ticking calms down when its up to operating temp but its still audible. I am pretty sure it's the dreaded bolts shearing off at the header connection.

I have almost 75K miles on it. Kinda pissed off that the '19 model year only has a powertrain warranty to 60K while the 20+ has to 100K.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sleeper

Reaction score
How many miles does Ram cover the repairs? My '19 sounds terrible at startup, the ticking calms down when its up to operating temp but its still audible. I am pretty sure it's the dreaded bolts shearing off at the header connection.

I have almost 75K miles on it. Kinda pissed off that the '19 model year only has a powertrain warranty to 60K while the 20+ has to 100K.

I believe my 2021 only has a 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty. Am I missing something here?

speedracernc

Reaction score
same problem. had the passenger side replaced and now i hear it on the drivers side. be heading in soon.

Disposer

Reaction score
Yep sorry guys I must have been looking at the diesel.

Either way it sucks I was out of warranty 18 months into ownership

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I am taking my truck in today for an inspection. 27,000 mi. I noticed two weeks ago that my truck is noisier(tick) at startup and at the front end smells like a vehicle that has no emissions system.

Has anyone thought about going with BBK ceramic coated shorty headers to solve this problem?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am taking my truck in today for an inspection. 27,000 mi. I noticed two weeks ago that my truck is noisier(tick) at startup and at the front end smells like a vehicle that has no emissions system.

Has anyone thought about going with BBK ceramic coated shorty headers to solve this problem?

One of the other forums seems to have many recommendations for the JBA shorties to correct this (and give you a tiny bump in HP).

speedracernc

Reaction score
do the headers fall under the 36k mile warranty or are they covered longer as per emissions stuff?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
do the headers fall under the 36k mile warranty or are they covered longer as per emissions stuff?
They were covered under the power train 5/60k warranty on my 4th gen so I can only ASSUME (I know, I know) they would be for 5th gens as well.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Did anyone else with this leaky header issue have exhaust gasses or odor in their cabin? If I remote start my truck for more than 5min the truck stinks in the cabin like some old truck from the 70's. I now drive with my sunroof vented.
We use gas sniffers at work so I am going to put one of these in the truck tonight and let it idle in the driveway to see what happens. I will also test the air near the exhaust manifolds to see if the carbon monoxide levels gets tripped.

Last fall I had my valve body replaced under warranty on the transmission, I am wondering if the dealer had to remove the y-pipe to drop the pan and perhaps they didn't tighten everything on the exhaust properly.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well at only 20k miles I fear the dreaded exhaust manifold leak. Ticking noise at cold start and strong smell of exhaust from wheel well. I figured it was only a matter of time but certainly didn't expect it at 20k 😡. Goes in this Wed for service, I will update with dealer findings.

Last edited:

RHeller1

Reaction score
I am currently waiting for a new exhaust manifold due to it cracking as well. Dealer wasnt sure when it would be available.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Crud, I has no idea that our 5th gens were dealing with this issue!
Hopefully it isn’t an ongoing part problem where they continue to replace the crap OEM exhaust bolts/manifolds with the same crap ones until you are out of warranty...

Users who are viewing this thread