5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

everyone hate there 3:21 gears?

Stealthfxr

Reaction score
Been reading all these comments and my take in simple terms. 3.21 vs 3.92. Only difference is first and eight gear. 3.92 is better for towing only because first gear is much lower, better "out of the hole". 8th gear (3.92) is the same as 7th (rpm/power band wise) as 3.21, results in higher highway RPM but less shifting since it is 7th in 3.21. 3.21 is way tall and a significant overdrive, results in lower highway RPM thus increasing MPG, tradeoff, hunts gears (6-8) more easily to keep engine in power band.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Fixed it for you.

There's no way you can hold 100 mph with less than 2000 rpm's. All you did was accelerate above 100, let off the gas and snap a pic. 🤣
You'd be wrong then. Under part throttle driving, the torque converter is locked so there is no slipage so there is no ability to let off the gas and the RPMs drop and you maintain that speed so wrong.

Want proof, getting your truck drive over 55 miles an hour and let off the gas see if your tach drops

Now if I had 3.92s, yeah you'd be right.
One other thing, where'd I claim less than 2000 rpm?

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
You'd be wrong then. Under part throttle driving, the torque converter is locked so there is no slipage so there is no ability to let off the gas and the RPMs drop and you maintain that speed so wrong.

Want proof, getting your truck drive over 55 miles an hour and let off the gas see if your tach drops

Now if I had 3.92s, yeah you'd be right.
One other thing, where'd I claim less than 2000 rpm?

Look at your pic. It shows just the edge of 2000 rpm's and nary a tach needle in sight.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Agreed. Much in the same way if you ( or your wife) bought your truck to compensate for the lack of payload capacity in your boxers, then grunting about 3.92 gears and laughing at 3.21 gears like it really makes a difference is the right choice.
We 3.92 guys actually need the extra torque to get the truck moving with the extra heft of the giant huevos. Not like the little satchel the 3.21 wives carry in their change purse to let thier husbands touch occasionally. 🤣

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
At higher speeds usually is not an issue in a 3.21. Its when you're down in the 45-50-55 range that the 3.21 starts being an issue. sometimes on level pavement. just can't decide which gear it needs to be in to maintain speed.
Sure, you can lock out gear, but i've found myself locking out 7th and 8th and puttin' around in 6. Now 70mph isn't an issue.

In a 3.92, I'm always in 8th, 97% of the time (and I didn't have to lock out any gears).
I’ve never had my truck hunt for gears cruising or towing at any speed. Works great

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
We 3.92 guys actually need the extra torque to get the truck moving with the extra heft of the giant huevos. Not like the little satchel the 3.21 wives carry in their change purse to let thier husbands touch occasionally. 🤣
We’ll, not sure about heuvos, but I guess 3.92’s are better for the overweight fast food crowd. I don’t have that issue 😉

BowDown

Reaction score
Look at your pic. It shows just the edge of 2000 rpm's and nary a tach needle in sight.

OK, then explain the pic. Under part throttle the torque converter is locked. When it's locked you're in direct drive meaning no TC slippage so you cannot let off the gas and the tach drop and consequently, if you let off the gas, the speed of the truck spins the driveshaft, which spins the gears in the trans, which spins the locked TC, which spins the engine and that engine speed is displayed on the tach.

You can easily verify this in your own truck by lifting your foot off the gas at 55+ mph and watch the tach not drop like it would unlocked.

Now, you also claim that I was coasting, why's the instant mileage at 14 mpg then? If I were coasting down, that would read 99 mpg, mine goes to 99 within a couple seconds of coasting. 14mpg indicates I was holding the speed via the gas pedal

BowDown

Reaction score

Who's are you hauling around with you or did you buy them?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
OK, then explain the pic. Under part throttle the torque converter is locked. When it's locked you're in direct drive meaning no TC slippage so you cannot let off the gas and the tach drop and consequently, if you let off the gas, the speed of the truck spins the driveshaft, which spins the gears in the trans, which spins the locked TC, which spins the engine and that engine speed is displayed on the tach.

You can easily verify this in your own truck by lifting your foot off the gas at 55+ mph and watch the tach not drop like it would unlocked.

Now, you also claim that I was coasting, why's the instant mileage at 14 mpg then? If I were coasting down, that would read 99 mpg, mine goes to 99 within a couple seconds of coasting. 14mpg indicates I was holding the speed via the gas pedal

Okay, but where's your tach needle? It should be at ~2300 rpm's at 100 mph.

BowDown

Reaction score
Okay, but where's your tach needle? It should be at ~2300 rpm's at 100 mph.
It may be there, IDK. All I can tell you is that wasn't coasting and I held that speed for about 5 miles. The tach is off to the left in that pic so the angle plays a role in what you see. Needle could be past 2k but from that angle, it may look like it's at 2k.

I believe the TC locks at 45 mph so you will not see the tach needle drop when you take your foot off the gas above lock speed and certainly not at part throttle at 100 mph. I believe the TC locks at wot above 4th gear also but not sure

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
fun fact: advertisers will track your activity across the web and display what's most relevant to you
That’s what they say but I haven’t found that to be true at all. Gay’s, cowboy boots, fine jewelry and other oddities just aren’t my thing.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that is why I have ad block and ad block plus
no ads!
Yeah until next year when google shoves manifest v3 down everyones throats and kills every adblock extension.

Users who are viewing this thread