5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

everyone hate there 3:21 gears?

ChrisID

Reaction score
6-7-8 ooohhh here comes a little incline in the road 8-7-6... levels out 6-7-8 quickly.
Oh here comes a hill harsh downshift 8-5....
3.21 gear ratio is soooooooooooooo annoying. the constant downshift. then quickly back into 8th.

My 3.92 pretty much stays in 8th my whole commute to work, and there are two little slight hills. never downshifts. just glides only up the hill in 8th.
That's my experience with 3.2s as well, and way worse even lightly loaded with 1-2 dirtbikes in the back. Does it really matter if it's shifting it's *** off all day? Don't know, don't care, but I don't like it. Forgetabout it with a 5K trailer on the back, I have to limit to 6-7th. Not so with my 3.9. How is it that my 3.9s gets 1-2 better mpg than my 3.2s?
Don't care what each of you like or don't like. I like 3.9s.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I intentionally sought out a truck with 321s and bought it because that's what I wanted. I've had a 3.92 truck and didn't care for it and noticed no difference in performance. I also rented a Gen 5 3.92 truck and notice no difference in performance versus a 3.21 truck.

I might tow three or four times a year and maybe 6,000 pounds Max when I'm doing it so towing is not an issue and the few times I have told had no issues. I'm driving about 20,000 miles a year so I'm enjoying the 3.21s.

As for those call in a 3.21 truck sluggish or slow compared to a 392 truck, that's laughable. Both trucks are slow, have a 620whp z06, everything is slow compared to that so 3.21 versus 3.92 makes zero difference.

Mileage over 5500 mi and current mileage both predominantly City, 70/30 or better City
No offense BowDown, but you're not correct. The 3.9 'performs' better then the 3.2, but I guess it depends on your and my definition of 'performance'. I own both and drive each of them back to back.
Agree, the difference is slight, but the 3.9 wins (for me and how I use and drive my trucks).

U

User_3336

What I hate.....

Every time this thread gets bumped to the top and I have to read the subject line and its improper use of the word there....
Put the thread on ignore!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No offense BowDown, but you're not correct. The 3.9 'performs' better then the 3.2, but I guess it depends on your and my definition of 'performance'. I own both and drive each of them back to back.
Agree, the difference is slight, but the 3.9 wins (for me and how I use and drive my trucks).

To call either performance is laughable, 3.92 is what, 1/2 truck faster 0-6? That's not a significant improvement to me. People are actually driving these trucks thinking they are any semblance of performance vehicles? :LOL::ROFLMAO:
For me, the performance differential between the 3.21 and the 3.92 isn't enough to make me go that route again but everyone is different, I bought this truck to cruise in style, not to make 0-60 runs. The only version of this truck thats fast is the TRX

I've towed my car and a 3000'lb uhaul trailer with 3000lbs of stone in it and had zero issues. To me, from a performance standpoint, the difference is non existent as both are still slow. If I towed more, maybe id have gone with the 3.92. If the performance was markedly better with the 3.92, Id have bought them but its not; the fuel consumption however is markedly improved in the 3.21 over the 3.92, those that say different are lying to themselves. My fuel mileage proof is posted above.

And just for grins, 14 mpg in Mexico

Attachments

• 20220808_124650.jpg
    20220808_124650.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
U

User_3336

I don't call the 3.92 "faster". But does hold gears better than the 3.21.
the continual downshifting out of 8th to 5th, 6th, and 7th due to the smallest incline in the road is annoying in the 3.21.

BowDown

Reaction score
I don't call the 3.92 "faster". But does hold gears better than the 3.21.
the continual downshifting out of 8th to 5th, 6th, and 7th due to the smallest incline in the road is annoying in the 3.21.

I could lock out 8th and have the same thing so moot point but I'm in Texas so that's not really an issue. If I lived in the mountains, I may have made a different decision. Incidentally, I drove a short distance (about 10 miles) between Dallas and Houston @70mph with 8th locked out, effectively a 3.92 truck. F that

RedFred

Reaction score
I drive a lot of highway miles and sometimes cruising at 80-85 mph. With the 3.92 rear, the rpm's were just too high for my liking on the highway. I never tow and switching to the 3.21's made for a much more enjoyable ride. Actually made my Laramie trimmed truck feel more like a luxury trim and more enjoyable to drive. But for those that tow or do a lot of city type driving, the 3.92's may be preferable. Nothing wrong with either one and the great thing is, we have a choice and can choose. Maybe someday Ram can make the 1500 with the 3.92's and a 9 speed transmission and we can put this whole discussion to bed and enjoy the best of both worlds.

BowDown

Reaction score
I drive a lot of highway miles and sometimes cruising at 80-85 mph. With the 3.92 rear, the rpm's were just too high for my liking on the highway. I never tow and switching to the 3.21's made for a much more enjoyable ride. Actually made my Laramie trimmed truck feel more like a luxury trim and more enjoyable to drive. But for those that tow or do a lot of city type driving, the 3.92's may be preferable. Nothing wrong with either one and the great thing is, we have a choice and can choose. Maybe someday Ram can make the 1500 with the 3.92's and a 9 speed transmission and we can put this whole discussion to bed and enjoy the best of both worlds.
I'd rather have the 3.21s with the 6.4L. You get enough forward gears and you can emulate a lower rear drive in the trans while finishing with a tall gear

Last edited:
U

User_3336

I could lock out 8th and have the same thing so moot point but I'm in Texas so that's not really an issue. If I lived in the mountains, I may have made a different decision. Incidentally, I drove a short distance (about 10 miles) between Dallas and Houston @70mph with 8th locked out, effectively a 3.92 truck. F that
At higher speeds usually is not an issue in a 3.21. Its when you're down in the 45-50-55 range that the 3.21 starts being an issue. sometimes on level pavement. just can't decide which gear it needs to be in to maintain speed.
Sure, you can lock out gear, but i've found myself locking out 7th and 8th and puttin' around in 6. Now 70mph isn't an issue.

In a 3.92, I'm always in 8th, 97% of the time (and I didn't have to lock out any gears).

BowDown

Reaction score
At higher speeds usually is not an issue in a 3.21. Its when you're down in the 45-50-55 range that the 3.21 starts being an issue. sometimes on level pavement. just can't decide which gear it needs to be in to maintain speed.
Sure, you can lock out gear, but i've found myself locking out 7th and 8th and puttin' around in 6. Now 70mph isn't an issue.

In a 3.92, I'm always in 8th, 97% of the time (and I didn't have to lock out any gears).

3.21 trucks don't go into 8th until 54-57 mph, at least mine doesn't but I've never had it constantly downshifting unless ACC was on and it had slowed for traffic then traffic clears or when its going up a steep incline but I that's the ACC being too aggressive returning to the preset speed. I've been able to pedal the truck up the same inclines and hold speed without it downshifting. IMO there's some additional programming needed in both the trans and the ACC.

ACC needs to be less aggressive when accelerating, If I have ACC set at 73 mph and the truck slows to 60mph, once traffic clears, ACC will accelerate so aggressively that the trans will shift to 5th or 6th then once at speed, shift to 8th.

The other issue I believe is in the trans programming which ironically isn't aggressive enough; the trans needs to down shift to 1st when slowing for stop signs or under 7-10mph. If you don't come to a complete stop, the trans stays in 2nd then when you accelerate, it down shifts to 1st and you feel a jolt

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If the performance was markedly better with the 3.92, Id have bought them but its not; the fuel consumption however is marginally improved on the highway in the 3.21 over the 3.92, those that say different are lying to themselves. My fuel mileage proof is posted above.

And just for grins, 14 mpg in Mexico
Fixed it for you.

There's no way you can hold 100 mph with less than 2000 rpm's. All you did was accelerate above 100, let off the gas and snap a pic. 🤣

Louhound88

Reaction score
All things equal but the axle ratio means that a 3.92 truck will be better for torque while 3.21 is better for speed. Top speed mostly, but also acceleration at higher speeds.

Even then, when it comes to 0-60 runs the 3.21 could have the advantage depending on how long the 3.92 holds it's first gear. Two gear shifts from 0-60 will give you better times than 3 gear shifts.

3.92 axle gear means your engine RPM's build faster than a 3.21. 3.92 will have higher RPM at any give speed, and not need as much pedal to increase speed as the 3.21. Doesn't mean the 3.92 is faster, just means you're utilizing the transmission more with a 3.21 at the benefit of the engine. And opposite for the 3.92. The 3.92 will save the wear on the trans while utilizing the engine more.

Engine has 395HP and 410lbft of torque. Torque hits at the same RPM for both axle ratios, it's just that the torque is more readily available to the wheel without requiring a downshift to get into the 4k rpm range, or close.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Fixed it for you.

There's no way you can hold 100 mph with less than 2000 rpm's. All you did was accelerate above 100, let off the gas and snap a pic. 🤣
I've never looked at my RPM while driving over 100mph, but I know its a speed I can cruise in with 3.21's and 35" tires. On the way home today I'll see what my highest cruise speed can be with CC without going over 2k rpm. Probably 85ish or 90 maybe.

Dewey

Reaction score
I've never looked at my RPM while driving over 100mph, but I know its a speed I can cruise in with 3.21's and 35" tires. On the way home today I'll see what my highest cruise speed can be with CC without going over 2k rpm. Probably 85ish or 90 maybe.
I drive everyday at 82 mph and run about 1750 rpms with 3.21’s and stock tires with my current truck.

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
This is my last truck with 3.21’s. Cruise is set on a flat road.

2EEFBF81-64D1-4E09-935F-7126B6886ACA.jpeg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I drive everyday at 82 mph and run about 1750 rpms with 3.21’s and stock tires with my current truck.
Okay, I did the math. At 80 mph with 3.21 gears, you should be at ~1800 rpm's, so at 100 mph that should translate to ~2300 rpm's.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It's not about towing. Really not about top end speed as the limiter stops you way before maxing anything out. The 1 mpg going downhill isn't much of a reason to neuter your truck either. It's just about having versatility and smooth driving in all conditions.

If you just got a truck for your wife to get groceries in and she let's you sit behind the wheel and wait in the parking lot pretending to be cool, well maybe 3.21 gears are the right choice. 😉

slatersan

Reaction score
It's not about towing. Really not about top end speed as the limiter stops you way before maxing anything out. The 1 mpg going downhill isn't much of a reason to neuter your truck either. It's just about having versatility and smooth driving in all conditions.

If you just got a truck for your wife to get groceries in and she let's you sit behind the wheel and wait in the parking lot pretending to be cool, well maybe 3.21 gears are the right choice. 😉
Agreed. Much in the same way if you ( or your wife) bought your truck to compensate for the lack of payload capacity in your boxers, then grunting about 3.92 gears and laughing at 3.21 gears like it really makes a difference is the right choice.

Users who are viewing this thread