5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

everyone hate there 3:21 gears?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm. 🤔 Ecodiesel + great economy × exorbitantly overpriced fuel 🤨 = fail 😒. 😎

Hah! I burn a mix of bacon grease and urine. I save on sewage costs (less flushing) and the bacon exhaust smells great! Side bonus is that the cost is 0.

(I'm thinking of adding Helium to the tires. It may lighten the truck up just enough so that it MAKES me fuel while I drive!)

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hah! I burn a mix of bacon grease and urine. I save on sewage costs (less flushing) and the bacon exhaust smells great! Side bonus is that the cost is 0.

(I'm thinking of adding Helium to the tires. It may lighten the truck up just enough so that it MAKES me fuel while I drive!)
That's awesome, I am always running out of bacon grease, it is annoying to have to use plain old lard!!

ChrisID

Reaction score
I own both. Both 5th gen hemi, no e-thing. I prefer the 3.92 and for some reason get 1-2 better mpg with it. And 1-2mpg doesn't mean a lot either way. I also prefer how the 3.92's drive and don't shift as much. I could care less about the slight increase in rpm, and actually prefer how she responds. But I also raise my ratio on my motorcycles too, and like it way better (usually one tooth down in the front).
With that said, the 3.21's are only marginally less appealing to me. Not the end of world.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly the 8 speed transmission is so smooth and nice. I'd rather they make all the trucks the same. The gears are the same for 2-7 on both transmissions. The final drive is different and the lowest drive is different. Just make the 8th gear taller and when you are towing let the transmission stay in 7th so it's the equivalent of the 3.92, or if its a light load, let it go into 8th for the equivalent of the 3.21 final drive. That would solve lots of issues.

Everyone got by just fine with 3 speed and 4 speed transmission for a decades.

ManchuWarrior

Reaction score
I have to say I just towed with my new 2022 BC. I had about 3000lbs. A utility trailer and 2 atvs. Granted most of the roads were flat with a few decent hills, towing was awesome! Meets my needs perfectly! I'll report back when I go through the mountains of WV and other states, but hands down a massive improvement over the Tacoma I used to have when I was only towing 1 atv with it. I also have the trailer tow group with the knob that helps with backing up and blind spot with cross path detection and it was wonderful. The computer recognized my trailer and estimated length easily. Blind spot in my trailer was so awesome to have. Everything was like butter.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have to say I just towed with my new 2022 BC. I had about 3000lbs. A utility trailer and 2 atvs. Granted most of the roads were flat with a few decent hills, towing was awesome! Meets my needs perfectly! I'll report back when I go through the mountains of WV and other states, but hands down a massive improvement over the Tacoma I used to have when I was only towing 1 atv with it. I also have the trailer tow group with the knob that helps with backing up and blind spot with cross path detection and it was wonderful. The computer recognized my trailer and estimated length easily. Blind spot in my trailer was so awesome to have. Everything was like butter.
That's great. Glad it went well. It would have more relevance if you tell us which gear ratio you have though. :p

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys driving TRX’s with 3.55’s.😆
The only TRX I've seen had a payload under 1,000 lbs and rated for 8,000 lbs towing. But with 700+ hp and money to burn, who cares what the ratio is?

fishslayer

Reaction score
I see no issues with 3.21 .. Had them in my 2017 too. My 2021 E-Torque can tow my 12,000 Pound Dump trailer with no issues . and it gets great mpg hiway. But we dont have mountains down in the swamp. Mine has great acceleration from a stoplight.. I totally embarrassed a guy last week in a Camaro. For a heavy truck, Ram HEMIS w/8 spds are very quick. I see no need for 3.92 unless the only time you drive is pulling a big load up a lot of hills .

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so everyone hates the 3:21? I don’t find it that bad as I don’t tow super heavy
And it seems more responsive and powerful than my 17 limited that had the 3:92 🤷‍♂️

I tow my horse trailer with the 3:21
And on steep hills without a problem

Anyone else getting the job done with the 3:21 gears?

This is my 4th Ram I think. Maybe 5th. Lol can't recall. But I know that it is the first one with 3.21 gears and I LOATHE them. It will never happen again.

BlueOx

Reaction score
You will have no issues towing that through the WV mountains. We have a 29ft box camper that weighs in around 7k loaded and have towed all throughout WV with 3.21 gears with no issues.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will have no issues towing that through the WV mountains. We have a 29ft box camper that weighs in around 7k loaded and have towed all throughout WV with 3.21 gears with no issues.
There's like 4 mountains that are tough ( like 7% to maybe a 14% grade ) when towing on the East Coast. The Appalachains have got NOTHING on the Rockies, Cascades or the Sierra Nevadas. There's a 26% grade out where my mom used to live. It's nuts.

U

User_3336

6-7-8 ooohhh here comes a little incline in the road 8-7-6... levels out 6-7-8 quickly.
Oh here comes a hill harsh downshift 8-5....
3.21 gear ratio is soooooooooooooo annoying. the constant downshift. then quickly back into 8th.

My 3.92 pretty much stays in 8th my whole commute to work, and there are two little slight hills. never downshifts. just glides only up the hill in 8th.

Users who are viewing this thread