5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETA for Diesel on Dealer lots, any word yet?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Congrats! You seem to be the first!!.. You are going to need to elaborate wayyyyy more though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it should be a forum rule tht the first 5 posters who say they have a new year/model have to provide sufficient details that the rest of us can vicariously enjoy the experience. A YT video, at least 10 color glossy's from all angles and/or a Motor Trend like review should be required.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it should be a forum rule tht the first 5 posters who say they have a new year/model have to provide sufficient details that the rest of us can vicariously enjoy the experience. A YT video, at least 10 color glossy's from all angles and/or a Motor Trend like review should be required.

Haha! Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyresmoker

Reaction score
He is located in western Michigan. I am pretty confident it is a 4x4 with 3.92's.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
He is located in western Michigan. I am pretty confident it is a 4x4 with 3.92's.
Thank you. Since information is so scarce on these at the present, some more specifics would be good.
Henkel RAM (Battle Creek MI) has two on their website one in stock, one is in transit and both sitting at MSRP (3.92 4x4) of about $55K.
Grand Haven RAM had 1, a Big Horn 4x4 for $55K with 13, count em’, 13 “discounts” available. Good luck getting all those...
All things in time...

Gary29

Reaction score
Went to the LA autoshow today and got pissed off . You can't get a limited ecodiesel with any rearend but a 392 .. hence way less fuel economy. Rethinking buying a Ram .
I ordered a 2020 Ram ecoDiesel in Oct. The truck is sitting at the dealer waiting for me to pick it up this coming thursday. I printed the build sheet last night and the rear end I ordered was a 3.21. The Ram site does not give any other options than the 3.92 but the dealer WAS able to order what I wanted the 3.21.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a 2020 Ram ecoDiesel in Oct. The truck is sitting at the dealer waiting for me to pick it up this coming thursday. I printed the build sheet last night and the rear end I ordered was a 3.21. The Ram site does not give any other options than the 3.92 but the dealer WAS able to order what I wanted the 3.21.
In 4x4 ? air suspension ?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well then yours would be the very first “known” 3.21. I saw one ad for a 3.21 but thats all it was, an ad. Please verify it and post up a picture of the Mulroney window sticker for us to see. Kinda’ hard to take any pictures of the gears...

Gary29

Reaction score
Well then yours would be the very first “known” 3.21. I saw one ad for a 3.21 but thats all it was, an ad. Please verify it and post up a picture of the Mulroney window sticker for us to see. Kinda’ hard to take any pictures of the gears...
All I have right now are the 10 pages of the build sheet which shows the 3.21 on the second page. I SURE HOPE it has the 3.21 for my use. When I pick up the truck thursday, I will post it the window sticker.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
For the thread troll Fiat no more builds VM Motori’s ED than it does Chrysler’s Hemi. Which is to say it doesn’t. All Mfgrs diesels have had problems for the past few years. It’s because our uber powerful and out of control EPA forced diesel emissions on Mfgrs & to bring them to market before adequate testing could be done. EDs May have suffered more because lots of people bought diesel 1500s that had no practical business with a diesel. Cold climate short commute for example. HDs diesels not as much. Worked and allowed to operate at full operating temp for extended times yielded very little problems with the EDs like other diesels.

Now with the new gen 3 and new GM 3.0 diesels both and others having complete redesigns in handling emissions I suspect that emissions problems will be dramatically less. We still do have the pointless EGR only because of government ideology objectives. :(

EDs are hitting the lots all over now. Interesting is that you can get a 2020 gen 3 ED or a 2020 Classic with gen 2 ED.

Wonder if the instrument clusters are different in the the gen 5 truck? My gen 4 truck with gen 2 ED hit the cluster limit of 1 million kilometers or 621369 miles. At which time the odometer, trip meter, distance to empty and fuel economy stopped working. It’s a known issue since this Star report in 2017 yet FCA wants us to pay for their defective design or programming. Thoughts?

8CB5EC9F-96B5-4B24-AD45-BD605095B903.jpeg

3207CCB3-C8A9-4E61-915E-D665461E63FE.jpeg

Last edited:

tyresmoker

Reaction score
It is supposed to be 4x4 and air suspension. Maybe I am in for a big surprise!
There are 16 EC Limited 1500's either on the ground or in transit within 150 miles of Framingham, MA. All have 3.92 rear ends.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the thread troll Fiat no more builds VM Motori’s ED than it does Chrysler’s Hemi. Which is to say it doesn’t. All Mfgrs diesels have had problems for the past few years. It’s because our uber powerful and out of control EPA forced diesel emissions on Mfgrs & to bring them to market before adequate testing could be done. EDs May have suffered more because lots of people bought diesel 1500s that had no practical business with a diesel. Cold climate short commute for example. HDs diesels not as much. Worked and allowed to operate at full operating temp for extended times yielded very little problems with the EDs like other diesels.

Now with the new gen 3 and new GM 3.0 diesels both and others having complete redesigns in handling emissions I suspect that emissions problems will be dramatically less. We still do have the pointless EGR only because of government ideology objectives. :(

EDs are hitting the lots all over now. Interesting is that you can get a 2020 gen 3 ED or a 2020 Classic with gen 2 ED.

Wonder if the instrument clusters are different in the the gen 5 truck? My gen 4 truck with gen 2 ED hit the cluster limit of 1 million kilometers or 621369 miles. At which time the odometer, trip meter, distance to empty and fuel economy stopped working. It’s a known issue since this Star report in 2017 yet FCA wants us to pay for their defective design or programming. Thoughts?
That sure seems bogus. Clearly, when the electronics engineers in the instrument panel group (or maybe it was the software folks) designed the system, they never thought there would be owners like you who know how to make a vehicle last, and use it for work constantly so the miles/kilometers really add up. You'd think that FCA would give you a medal, not give you grief.
I do recall as a kid, a lot of cars still had mechanical odometers that rolled over to 00,000 as they hit 100,000 miles. That was a common question when buying a used vehicle back then: "How many times has the odometer rolled over?"
EDIT: Hopefully you can keep track of your miles using the GPS on your phone and a logbook, so you continue to have an accurate record of total miles on the truck.
My hat is off to you for making your Gen-4 Ram with Gen-2 Ecodiesel make it to 621,000+ miles (1,000,000 km), and I appreciate all of the great, practical info you've posted here at 5thgenrams. THANKS!

Last edited:

1JK

Reaction score
4x4 or 4x2 and 3.21 or 3.92?
Where bought from? Price/details...
I found mine in IA and it may have been one of the first diesel LTDs delivered. also looked ad test drove one at Betten-Baker in Coopersville MI. (Don Hamilton). Would have bought it there but they couldnt get one at that time. I went to IA and got there within hours of when it was delivered and bought it.

1JK

Reaction score
I found mine in IA and it may have been one of the first diesel LTDs delivered. also looked ad test drove one at Betten-Baker in Coopersville MI. (Don Hamilton). Would have bought it there but they couldnt get one at that time. I went to IA and got there within hours of when it was delivered and bought it.

2020 LTD. MSRP was 74890 (incl 1695 destination). Emp Discount was 9624, cash incentives

2020 National Retail Consumer Cash 20CL1
Chrysler Capital 2020 Bonus Cash 20CL5( Disclosure25)
2020 Retail Bonus Cash 20CLA1( Disclosure26

totaled 2500. (I believe 500 of that was because I owned a Ford truck, and 1000 for financing which was 0% 36 mos., and 1000 other discount)
Live in MI purchased it in IA. Doc fee 179, lic/title 135. dealer put on Theft Deterrent for 399 (that one slipped by me but I believe there is a discount in insurance) and I purchased the 7 yr Allstate B2B extended warrantee for 2488.
other than tax those were all the fees and discounts.

Eric326

Reaction score

View attachment 41968

View attachment 41969

Vern, coming from a 2015 EcoDiesel myself, and watching/reading the Ramecodieselforum.com threads for 4 years, I appreciate your post here since you have actual heavy use. But, it is not fair to say that peoples use of their 1/2 ton was the cause of the above average failure rate on the EcoDiesel. There were numerous theories on what the underlying engineering problem was, and I think everyone agreed that no single issue caused all the catastrophic failures. Also, any post referencing your truck's mileage, should have the disclaimer in regards to GDE tuning and an engine replacement.

I hope I'm not coming off as though I'm attacking you. Again, I appreciate someone posting here that has accumulated so many miles on their engine/truck. But, I truly hope Ram has properly tested and vetted this new engine platform upgrade...this last generation was not up to par for an engine released by a major automotive manufacturer...nor should customers need to purchase an EPA non-compliant tune in order to gain reliability from their engine. And politics aside in regards to our overbearing EPA, it is the manufacturer's choice to build and offer engines that live up to whatever reliability and performance that the brand wants to demonstrate. I believe Ram let "us" the customers down with the last engine.

Over the course of the engine production, we saw multiple changes (oil viscosity spec change, transmission tuning shift changes (low RPM high torque speculation), and of course the massive changes from the mandated EPA settlement PCM software update). And of course, the email that was leaked prior to the public court hearings indicating that Ram was concerned about the high engine failure rate. All of these things happened relatively quietly, with very little acknowledgment from Ram; even in regards to things as simple as dealers/owners knowing which oil viscosity belonged in the EcoDiesel....the above listed items are why I believe the EcoDiesel was not simply an engine being used by people who had no "practical" use for a diesel.

This is all my opinion from being a prior EcoDiesel owner...again, I appreciate your post Vern and I truly hope the new EcoDiesel proves to be a fuel efficient and reliable diesel platform that we all want from Ram. With stock tuning.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I do believe tunes do help with reliability especially when they turn off EGR. My friend Steve purchased his ED brand new to transport airstreams, never tuned, put 214 K on before health problems retired him and never had the first repair. So I never felt tunes were a requirement for reliability.

Agreed it is the manufacturer’s choice. Case in point Volkswagen after excessive government punishment they removed their known for diesel cars from the US market. Consumers loss.

I believe you read too much weight into my “practical” example. I have long agreed to the too high failure rate and risk of post warranty ownership. Yes lots of speculation as to the whys. I suspect it’s around 4 percent failure rate by 100k instead of the less than 1/2 percent industry average IE way too high. FWIW My engine warranty expires on the 28th. I plan to keep the truck but know the risk and am accepting of it for this particular truck.

I don’t know that Ram or VM Motori failed us as they generally are & have fully honored their extended 100k warranty. But that certainly is an item up for opinion. It probably bothers me more that they still offer the engine in the 2020 gen 4 classic. I get that it’s retained the 100k warranty but..

Eric I appreciate the feedback and never did I feel attacked, it’s a forum for discussion.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sheesh, what forum am I on? Civility, no personal slams, no snarkies from either poster. That wouldn’t happen over on the F150 I assure you.
Kudos to the two ED owners who published actual owners info (as opposed to say me who is reduced to gleaning from various sources on the net...)
Thank you sirs!
While I am sure there are original ED owners who kinda’ lucked out and never experienced any issues, both of these owners reports would indicate to me it was not tested well enough prior to release. Ford claimed a million miles of testing for their EB engines (Motor Trend 2008:
Word comes from Ford today that they've racked up over one million miles on their EcoBoost test engines in combined real-world driving and in-lab testing.
So far, a cadre of EcoBoost engines have burned through 12,000 hours of dyno time representing over 500,000 miles of customer driving, according to Ford.

Nearly right away they had issues after full on production with the 2011 3.5, such as excessive condensation in the intercooler, excessive timing chain wear, ignition issues, 40-50K miles out of the iridium plugs before failures etc. Yet with all these issues and gen 2 of the engine released in 2017, things are finally getting better.

Same thing likely with the ecodiesel. The early adopter beta testers paid a price (some anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread