5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETA for Diesel on Dealer lots, any word yet?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
OK - I'll bite. WHY that particular motor?

Rick
The number of catastrophic failures reported on the 3.0 ecodiesel are ridiculous. Rod cap failures, lower end issues, poor MPG, etc and so on. They stopped making them for a reason. This "new" version isn't new enough. Feel free to be a beta tester for Fiat, but I wouldn't consider it. Tons of data out there if you do a little research.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
While I recognize the general consensus is that Ram buyers are blue collar and not well educated, I won't stoop to your level here. I choose to think there's some pretty smart folks on here that can teach me a lot about these. The signal to noise here isn't too bad, except when some feel the need to flex their internet muscles. I'm sorry if the way I speak scares you.

Last edited:

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
OK - I'll bite. WHY that particular motor?

Rick
Here's one to start you off

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The percentages of engine failures are actually quite low. People just hear the bad and not the good on the internet.

It’s almost like what’s going on Politically right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Narg

Reaction score
Why would anyone be afraid of an engine designed and built by one of the most prestigious diesel engine companies in the world? Seems kind of alarmist, and not very realistic.

Narg

Reaction score
Just found a local dealer with 4 on the lot. Of course, just heading out of town now, so it'll be next week 'til I can test drive one. Oh well.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
My dealer just got one in this morning. I am hoping to go and drive it this afternoon.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome. Please report back!!

MCOKELEY13

Reaction score
Mine is set to deliver in about two weeks, ill let you know how it goes.

2020 limited
4x4
Ecodiesel
black out package
E locker rear axle
protection group
sunroof
33 gallon tank
limited level 1 equip group

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How was everyone’s deals on these trucks? What percentage below msrp?

tyresmoker

Reaction score
How was everyone’s deals on these trucks? What percentage below msrp?

Sorry guys, I was on my way to go and drive the truck and found out my wife had other plans for me yesterday afternoon?!?!
I am going on Saturday morning.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Mine is set to deliver in about two weeks, ill let you know how it goes.

2020 limited
4x4
Ecodiesel
black out package
E locker rear axle
protection group
sunroof
33 gallon tank
limited level 1 equip group
I went with maximum steel/indigo.
All the trimmings except Rambox and trailer tow package. I think the msrp was $74,500 or so.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My dealer (1 hour away, says he’s the largest diesel RAM dealer in the SE) has this one (I didnt scan any farther):
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Truck Crew Cab
Bodystyle:Truck Crew Cab Drive Line:RWD MPG Range:20/25 Exterior Color:Delmonico Red Pearlcoat Interior Color:Black Cloth Stock #:200308 Model Code:DT1H98 Transmission :Automatic Engine Turbo Diesel Engine
Gen 3VIN:1C6RREFM4LN179839

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Why would anyone be afraid of an engine designed and built by one of the most prestigious diesel engine companies in the world? Seems kind of alarmist, and not very realistic.
because 99% of Americans have never heard of that company.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don’t have a dog in this hunt however the 1st diesel 1500 was just not well done IMHO. There’s way too many reported issues, if you care to read up on their past history.
Now maybe they looked at all their warranty claims and poor press and decided to give prospective buyers something really good, I hope so. But going off of their past record for the little diesel, you’d have to be a gambler to be willing to purchase one this early on.
Extended warranties would be mandatory.
I don’t normally dog on FCA for quality, after all I happily bought a new design gen 5. I could have just waited a year and seen how they did. My drivetrain isn’t a risky design so I felt it was a reasonable risk to get the changed model.
The diesel is a whole nother’ ball of wax, at least the original ecodiesel’s were...

For anyone wanting one, I hope it turns out simply great for you and for FCA as a whole.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I don’t have a dog in this hunt however the 1st diesel 1500 was just not well done IMHO. There’s way too many reported issues, if you care to read up on their past history.
Now maybe they looked at all their warranty claims and poor press and decided to give prospective buyers something really good, I hope so. But going off of their past record for the little diesel, you’d have to be a gambler to be willing to purchase one this early on.
Extended warranties would be mandatory.
I don’t normally dog on FCA for quality, after all I happily bought a new design gen 5. I could have just waited a year and seen how they did. My drivetrain isn’t A new design so I felt it was a reasonable risk to get the new model.
The diesel is a whole nother’ ball of wax, at least the original ecodiesel’s were...

For anyone wanting one, I hope it turns out simply great for you and for FCA as a whole.
Exactly. You cant re-write that history. I'd have bought the diesel if not for the issues in the past. I refuse to be the beta tester for Ram on this new one. You guys pony up and let us know and in 2 years, if the reports are good, I'll have this 2020 paid off and buy a smoker. Thanks in advance for taking one for the team!

Users who are viewing this thread