5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETA for Diesel on Dealer lots, any word yet?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ford claimed a million miles of testing for their EB engines (Motor Trend 2008:
Word comes from Ford today that they've racked up over one million miles on their EcoBoost test engines in combined real-world driving and in-lab testing.

I have to chuckle at this. So Ford puts together 20 test cars, racks up 50K miles on each of them, and we're supposed to be impressed with their reliability? LOL Sorry, Ford. I can math. ;)

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Sheesh, what forum am I on? Civility, no personal slams, no snarkies from either poster. That wouldn’t happen over on the F150 I assure you.
Kudos to the two ED owners who published actual owners info (as opposed to say me who is reduced to gleaning from various sources on the net...)
Thank you sirs!
While I am sure there are original ED owners who kinda’ lucked out and never experienced any issues, both of these owners reports would indicate to me it was not tested well enough prior to release. Ford claimed a million miles of testing for their EB engines (Motor Trend 2008:
Word comes from Ford today that they've racked up over one million miles on their EcoBoost test engines in combined real-world driving and in-lab testing.
So far, a cadre of EcoBoost engines have burned through 12,000 hours of dyno time representing over 500,000 miles of customer driving, according to Ford.

Nearly right away they had issues after full on production with the 2011 3.5, such as excessive condensation in the intercooler, excessive timing chain wear, ignition issues, 40-50K miles out of the iridium plugs before failures etc. Yet with all these issues and gen 2 of the engine released in 2017, things are finally getting better.

Same thing likely with the ecodiesel. The early adopter beta testers paid a price (some anyway).
"Finally getting better"? Visit the Raptor or Lincoln Navigator forums lately? There are still real-world issues with that 3.5...

mhoyt01

Reaction score
It would really be awesome if someone could provide Definitive proof you can somehow work a deal for a 3.21 on EcoDiesel 4x4. I am at day 43 of D status on my ordered RAM and my dealer says only 3.92 and would really like to change it if I could.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"Finally getting better"? Visit the Raptor or Lincoln Navigator forums lately? There are still real-world issues with that 3.5...
Actually I haven’t. I’m aware that the huge F150 forum has quite a few 3.5 and 5.0 issues but frankly, with the sales volume they have had since 2011, its to be expected. I wouldn't have wanted to go through the pain that so many of the Ford owners have had to deal with but I won’t just dog the motor, it really does a pretty good job for what its been asked to do, considering the displacement.

Longevity? I do know that the original 2011’s are now 8+ years old so there are some high miles being reported. Way back in May 31, 2017 there was a video post on the ecoboost forum that showed a 205,268 mile 3.5 with this note (begin post quote):
Says this 2011 F-150 is on its original engine, transmission, transfer case, axles and differential. None of which are seeping, he claims.

The only repairs he cites are basic: brake rotors, two spark plug changes, an ignition coil change, a few oxygen sensors and a battery.

The truck’s trip computer claims its made an average 20.2 mpg over its last 3,100 miles, which frankly, is also pretty impressive for a half-ton truck. Those miles don’t appear to be to the mall and back either! The rig apparently does full time duty as a construction worker’s daily driver. But despite a few battle scars and one seriously exhausted driver’s seat, the truck really looks solid.”

End of quote.

I don’t make a habit of bashing the competition, heck, I’ve been driving the competition for decades, this is my first ever Dodge/FCA product that was not a company car (K car, remember those?) I’d have happily stayed in the F150 camp this last Spring if the trucks had been 10K less, but they were not and so here I am.

Do I think the ecoboost platform is reasonably sound? Yes.
Would I like to be on the paying end of twin turbo or stretched timing chain replacement without an extended warranty? No. Thats one reason why I’m satisfied with a non-aspirated (Hemi) motor.
Would I like more ponies and tq, especially when the 3.5 boasts 55 hp and 100 foot pounds of torque more? Sure I would. But all that power comes with a longevity question mark, that little 3.5 mill is working very hard to achieve those numbers, even if the available tq is at a lower rpm.

2019 Ford F-150 Limited2019 Chevy Silverado High Country2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine3.5L EcoBoost V6 H.O6.2L EcoTec V85.7L Hemi V8
Horsepower450 hp420 hp395 hp
Torque510 ft-lb460 ft-lb410 ft-lb
(I took out the transmission, who really cares?)

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m at 14% below MSRP With my salesman.. Do you think I can get better at this point? Or do I just pull the trigger?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernDiesel

Reaction score
New Love, Likely Be 10 months before you would beat that by much. You been chomping at the bit for months. I’d pull the trigger if it’s largely the model trim options color you want. I was an early (April) buyer of the 14. It stickered for 46k I paid 40k with employee discount. Never regretted it because I got what I wanted.

Standard ford 3.5 twin turbo 375 HP 470 TQ and standard GM 5.3 355 HP 380 TQ. I’d say the Hemi still competes well.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m at 14% below MSRP With my salesman.. Do you think I can get better at this point? Or do I just pull the trigger?..

It depends on what trim of truck you are negotiating on. If it is a Limited then you may be able to get more but not much more than 16-18%. If it is a Bighorn, Tradesman, or Lone Star then you should be able to achieve 20%+

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It depends on what trim of truck you are negotiating on. If it is a Limited then you may be able to get more but not much more than 16-18%. If it is a Bighorn, Tradesman, or Lone Star then you should be able to achieve 20%+

It’s the Rebel trim..

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a factory order..

Ah, well in that case you probably won't get any if much more. You may be able to sweet talk into 15-16%.

I would just walk in and say if you can give me 16% I will place my order right now, and bring the $500 down cash with you, and throw it on his or her desk to make it a show. If they say no, walk out and say you are going to another dealership to order..... bet you they will chase you down before you leave and take it.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah, well in that case you probably won't get any if much more. You may be able to sweet talk into 15-16%.

I would just walk in and say if you can give me 16% I will place my order right now, and bring the $500 down cash with you, and throw it on his or her desk to make it a show. If they say no, walk out and say you are going to another dealership to order..... bet you they will chase you down before you leave and take it.

That’s what I’m shooting for.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Dealership includes a processing fee of $799... What is this for? Is this something I can say I’m not paying for?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know. Exactly.. I’m going bring this up to the salesman

I could not make any headway but then I was already screwed, the truck was the only one of its kind and they could tell my wife wanted it. I could have “walked” but just said “screw it”

i get it that dealers try anywhere they can to make money, the excessive doc fees just helps to cover you sharpies out there who nail them on these big discounts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary29

Reaction score
It would really be awesome if someone could provide Definitive proof you can somehow work a deal for a 3.21 on EcoDiesel 4x4. I am at day 43 of D status on my ordered RAM and my dealer says only 3.92 and would really like to change it if I could.
I received my 2020 Ram EcoDiesel on 12-10-19 with a 3.21 rear end. Please see the attached photo.

Attachments

• 2020 Ram EcoDiesel.jpg
    2020 Ram EcoDiesel.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 27

Gary29

Reaction score
Annnnd....???? How is it?!? How many miles have you put on it? How does it drive? What mileage are you getting?

Inquiring minds want to know!
LOL. I LOVE it so far. I have only put on about 350 miles with one trip of 240miles. It rides very smooth and quiet. The gas mileage has been 27.4 and 26.5 the two times I checked it. That is with number one diesel for the winter which I understand to be less energy per gallon.

Reactions: Rau

Users who are viewing this thread