5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

Fordication

Reaction score
My recently purchased 22 Ram Rebel E torque did this 2 days in a row, 1st time the battery light cycled on and off until I shut the truck down and re-started; 2nd time no lights. This is a very dangerous situation. I dropped my my truck off at the dealer this morning, hopefully resolving the recall will fix the issue.
So what did they say?

gofishn

Reaction score
Post #11 states he got a recall notice, for his issue, and took it in for a software flash.
None of you gotten this Recall and how do your Dealers not know about it?`

titan3636

Reaction score
I got a recall notice about this issue and took mine in to the dealer. It never died, but I got the recall software update to avoid it ....hopefully.
Got any info about the TSB # or recall notice info that we can give a dealership?

Fordication

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, e-torque. The truck randomly turns off, happened to me once and my wife twice. When it shuts off the brake auto engages! As it should, but this shut off deal alot of people are experiencing is going to cause an accident. Of course the dealer can't find any codes, can't find any problems and cannot get the truck to stall on their 3 mile drive.

Fordication

Reaction score
My 22 Big Horn doesn't have this recall. Does it only affect the 5.7 etorque maybe? I have the 3.6 in mine if that makes any difference.
My 22 Ram had this happen last week with 1200 miles on the ODO. I also have the same engine with the etorque. You guys are scaring me.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 22 Ram had this happen last week with 1200 miles on the ODO. I also have the same engine with the etorque. You guys are scaring me.
There are multiple updates for the 2022 5.7 etorque trucks. PCM, TCM, and HCP all for the issue. There was a recall on some 22 for this.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
As crazy as it sounds, No root cause or cure has been identified. My truck is still at the dealership and they are going to investigate further after they replace the leaking rear window.

I do not think anyone has been able to identify what is the cause of this problem. A number of good ideas and guesses have been presented in the Forum, but , many find that the problem resurfaces or the fixes do not work for their vehicle.

I think we all need to stay on top of this until a solution is found.

kevinkon

Reaction score
I’m so glad I’ve found others. My 2021 Ram Rebel etorque has this exact same issue and I’m afraid of driving my infant daughter around.

It has completely cut off while rolling from a stop sign at least four times and the first time it occurred was actually within a week of purchasing the truck. It’s a huge purchase for us so I’ve been hesitant to consider trading it in but this is definitely a major safety issue. Each time it’s shut off has been the same stop sign intersection and at low speeds.

I lose power, the e brake comes on, I have to bring the vehicle to a stop and disengage the e brake then restart the engine ignition. Each time I’ve been left blocking the intersection. I thought disabling auto start stop would change things but it happened anyway and the dash briefly blinked service shifter and went away. No codes or anything and I just finished 10k service.

RAM, please figure this out for us. First time truck owner and don’t want to regret going RAM.
I am in the same boat with driving with a child. I opened a case with Ram Cares and my truck is being looked at by a dealer.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
There are multiple updates for the 2022 5.7 etorque trucks. PCM, TCM, and HCP all for the issue. There was a recall on some 22 for this.
Presented the Tsb's you found (thanks again) to service manager when truck was in for the issue 2nd/ last time and was told they didn't apply and found no codes, etc.

Traded it in next day. 22 Rebel V8 etorque

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jexx

Reaction score
Which engine do you have, the 3.6 or 5.7??

On another note, I wish more people would update their signature with their truck specifications. There is like 20 people in this thread with issues and we have no clue what year their truck is or engine specs.

Fordication

Reaction score
Which engine do you have, the 3.6 or 5.7??

On another note, I wish more people would update their signature with their truck specifications. There is like 20 people in this thread with issues and we have no clue what year their truck is or engine specs.
I have the 5.7 etorque.

Jmac509

Reaction score
Has anyone who has had this issue had it successfully resolved? I wonder how much people are spending to figure out these problems outside warranty.

kevinkon

Reaction score
Here we are, day 13 at the dealer and with an open @RamCares case. I've had to call several times to Ram Cares, I have talked to my case manager once but have yet to hear from her since Thursday ( and was expecting an update). I did, however, call in and speak with someone who was actually helpful in explaining but sadly had no update for my particular case. I spoke with the dealer on Thursday as well, said they would call back Friday (didn't) and heard from the individual at Ram that I would hear from both Ram Cares and the dealer today (didn't). I am losing the little faith I had, I bought 3 vehicle in 2021 and 2 Rams in the last 30 months but I can't possible support a brand that treats customers like this.

Has anyone had ANY luck whatsoever with this issue? I gave the dealer the TSB but it's only for 2022's and I also gave them an explanation on here about the steering column, which actually does make sense... but if Ram actually cared to figure it out, this would be recalled.

I will hold my breath another day, without a vehicle...

I have a 2020 V8 etorque.

kevinkon

Reaction score
Here we are, day 13 at the dealer and with an open @RamCares case. I've had to call several times to Ram Cares, I have talked to my case manager once but have yet to hear from her since Thursday ( and was expecting an update). I did, however, call in and speak with someone who was actually helpful in explaining but sadly had no update for my particular case. I spoke with the dealer on Thursday as well, said they would call back Friday (didn't) and heard from the individual at Ram that I would hear from both Ram Cares and the dealer today (didn't). I am losing the little faith I had, I bought 3 vehicle in 2021 and 2 Rams in the last 30 months but I can't possible support a brand that treats customers like this.

Has anyone had ANY luck whatsoever with this issue? I gave the dealer the TSB but it's only for 2022's and I also gave them an explanation on here about the steering column, which actually does make sense... but if Ram actually cared to figure it out, this would be recalled.

Adding- it does look like I would have to trade the vehicle in ( likely at a loss) in order to keep myself and my child safe. I can't get over the fact that it's possible, since the dealer can't replicate the issue, that they would send me on my merry way to have the vehicle shut off again while driving.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi Kevin,

You are always welcome to send us DM for updates on your case!

Callie
Ram Cares

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I shouldn't need to chase you. Thanks.
Hey @kevinkon

Our Social Engagement Team is no longer handling your case as it has been passed on to your case manager, so we are not in the lead position of your case and are not receiving updates. However, we'd be more than happy to look for updates for you should you want them as we work auxiliary to your case manager, and are able to provide information to your case manager for you such as updates you receive, or to let them know that there has been a delay in communication. If this interests you at all, or sounds like something that would be beneficial to you, you are always welcome to reach out to us via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

kevinkon

Reaction score
Adding- it does look like I would have to trade the vehicle in ( likely at a loss) in order to keep myself and my child safe. I can't get over the fact that it's possible, since the dealer can't replicate the issue, that they would send me on my merry way to have the vehicle shut off again while driving.
Update: I have been advised to pick the vehicle up, and no "STAR" case can be started since they can't replicate it.

Goodbye, Ram! Will never buy another!

Users who are viewing this thread