5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well picked up the truck from the dealer for their 7th attempt to fix a different issue and was told no codes were thrown so there isn't much they can do regarding the engine shutting off. Pathetic.
If there were 7 attempts to fix something, it would fall under lemon law.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I have posted several times about my experience with this issue. I have not had a problem since January when this first appeared.

The dealer had the truck for 1 month and did not find the root cause. They replaced the rear window and "blow out" all the water from the RF Hub and eTorque battery module. All of that stuff is located behind the rear seat. They suggested that the RF Hub should be replaced, but it was on back-order.

I have been waiting for the RF Hubs to become available and pro-actively change it, just in case that is the culprit.

Most of the Supply Chain issues have been resolved at this point. My guess is that RAM is re-designing the RF hub to make it more water resistant.

I brought the truck into another dealer this morning, but I am not confident that they will find anything.

The Techs at the Dealership cannot really do anything with an issue like this if the system is not providing an error code. This issue needs to be diagnosed by a System Architect at the factory. Does anyone know how to elevate this to that level. RamCares is not the right avenue to do this and they have said as much.

6of36

Reaction score
I have posted several times about my experience with this issue. I have not had a problem since January when this first appeared.

The dealer had the truck for 1 month and did not find the root cause. They replaced the rear window and "blow out" all the water from the RF Hub and eTorque battery module. All of that stuff is located behind the rear seat. They suggested that the RF Hub should be replaced, but it was on back-order.

I have been waiting for the RF Hubs to become available and pro-actively change it, just in case that is the culprit.

Most of the Supply Chain issues have been resolved at this point. My guess is that RAM is re-designing the RF hub to make it more water resistant.

I brought the truck into another dealer this morning, but I am not confident that they will find anything.

The Techs at the Dealership cannot really do anything with an issue like this if the system is not providing an error code. This issue needs to be diagnosed by a System Architect at the factory. Does anyone know how to elevate this to that level. RamCares is not the right avenue to do this and they have said as much.
Dealers can not replace anything that is not faulty, because they will not be paid for the repair. The part would probably be sent back, and not be found faulty. The dealer should be able to get a factory representative involved. Back in the day, they would be at the dealership a few times a week, but they don't do that anymore at any of the brands. Factory reps can authorize any non complying repairs that the dealer can not. Tell your service manager to request one.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
If you are not currently experiencing the concern, what where you hoping they would find/fix?
Good question. Here is what I am hoping for:

1) They have seen the same issue and have a solution - either on their own or from the factory

2) They have not see the issue, but can provide feedback to corporate. With enough feedback from the field, maybe RAM will do something about it.

3)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the Supply Chain issues have been resolved at this point.
This comment is false, supply chain issues continue esp in the auto industry. RH exhaust manifold, backordered, RFH backordered-supplier is past due w/ 1850 units.

They have not see the issue, but can provide feedback to corporate. With enough feedback from the field, maybe RAM will do something about it.
The vehicle is working properly, you want them to give feed back that they have a truck w/ etorque that is working properly?

whipp12

Reaction score
I have a brand new 23 Ram 1500 v6 with the e torque, had it less than 2 weeks, and have had the shutdown happen to me twice. Both very different situations, backing out of the driveway, the other time I was going 50 down a road. Truck has been at the dealership for a week and of course they can’t replicate it and are getting no errors.

HemiDude

Reaction score
My guess is that RAM is re-designing the RF hub to make it more water resistant.
:ROFLMAO: That sounds like a possibility, sadly enough.... can't fix the leak, so make the components water proof

Rams01

Reaction score
Had this happen on my wifes 2021 Limited w/etorque. Happened twice before I found a "remedy" to the problem. Both times it was cold outside, my wife was driving, she stopped at the stop sign, the truck shut off to save fuel, she takes off from the stop sign, truck turns back on we start rolling and get to 15mph and then all the sudden truck lunged forward, shut off, the gear selector knob flipped itself into park, truck applied parking brake - if it had just been me driving solo it wouldnt be a huge deal but my 4 year old was in the truck both times.
Called dealership, they said without a warning light they will need the truck for at least 2 weeks just to diagnose it and since it was an intermittent problem the chances are they wouldn't be able to replicate it within the short distance they drive it for troubleshooting. Mind you they just had the truck for 4 weeks to replace the cracked manifold and do a front and rear differential service only for us to have a new grinding sensation in the steering wheel when turning left/right at certain angles. This wasnt a problem when I gave them the truck so someone fked it up servicing it so my confidence they would be able to fix this new shutdown problem was LOW.

I remedied this complex problem by trading in the SOB the first week of march and walked away from the problem and likely RAM/Stenallis for a long... long time. I'm too old to deal with ******** from cheap *** dealerships that cant be bothered to carry loaner vehicles anymore despite selling 100k trucks :ROFLMAO:. Went to Sewell and bought a Subaru Outback which is what my wife wanted since she drives 3,000 miles a month (real estate) and 26mpg is much better than 14mpg. I'll probably buy a 2020+ GMC from Sewell and just suck it up that it lacks many of the features the ram had. Until the issues arose, I loved both our RAM trucks 2019 and 2021 never had the leaky rear window or common issues others seemed to have, but ill be damned if I put my kid in an unsafe/unpredictable vehicle.
Best of luck to you all out there and hope RAM does the right thing.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Rams01,

I was hoping that your "remedy" was a technical one that could help all of us.

I think you did the right thing given the circumstances.

I drive my truck very cautiously now and when I am turning into traffic or other situations where I am concerned the truck will turn off and go into park.

I am truly hoping this issue is resolved and RAM can provide a true "fix" for the problem.

Rams01

Reaction score
I’m surprised they’re actually putting out a recall. Wonder what the heck happened for them to do so. A fix like this only happens at the engineering/corporate level. Which means, even if the mechanics at the ram dealership were able to mimic the problem there would’ve been no way to fix the issue until this patch was created. So until then you’re still SOL.

Attachments

• IMG_3995.jpeg
    IMG_3995.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 28

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
Have they included the 22 eTorque trucks yet?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

milesb

Reaction score
I *just* had this issue occur an hour ago on my brand new 2023 Ram Rebel v8 eTorque with 1,230 miles on it. I was approaching a stop sign at slowing speed, maybe 5 mph. Engine shuts off. Shifts into park. eBrake goes on. No cars in front or in back of me.

Once I got it started and took off the eBrake, the Auto On/Off would not engage all the way home (stop and go for ~15 miles). I pushed the Auto On/Off button and no change. It was like that feature just disappeared.

Crazy that this is impacting 2023 vehicles?! Not happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/