5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

$Bill

Reaction score
That sucks! Do you have the GT package? I don’t know if I’ve seen one of those have the issue.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I *just* had this issue occur an hour ago on my brand new 2023 Ram Rebel v8 eTorque with 1,230 miles on it. I was approaching a stop sign at slowing speed, maybe 5 mph. Engine shuts off. Shifts into park. eBrake goes on. No cars in front or in back of me.

Once I got it started and took off the eBrake, the Auto On/Off would not engage all the way home (stop and go for ~15 miles). I pushed the Auto On/Off button and no change. It was like that feature just disappeared.

Crazy that this is impacting 2023 vehicles?! Not happy.
Hello,

This certainly sounds frustrating. Have you reached out to your local Ram dealer regarding this? If not, we recommend getting an appointment in place for diagnosis. Should you decide to go that route, feel free to send us a private message for an extra layer of support.

Lex
Ram Cares

sotomayorc

Reaction score
I have a 22 Power Wagon and does the same crap. Randomly shuts off and engages brake. I'm more afraid of hurting someone that me getting hurt. Took it to dealer and of course, nothing could be found nor could it be replicated. The manager stated that he knows I was not "lying" because there was a code present (P032F). It was cleared and literally told me to come back if a check engine light came on.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have a 22 Power Wagon and does the same crap. Randomly shuts off and engages brake. I'm more afraid of hurting someone that me getting hurt. Took it to dealer and of course, nothing could be found nor could it be replicated. The manager stated that he knows I was not "lying" because there was a code present (P032F). It was cleared and literally told me to come back if a check engine light came on.
Hello,

We are sorry to hear about this. Have you considered visiting another dealer for a second opinion? If you choose to go that route or revisit your original dealer for further diagnosis, please feel free to send us a private message. We'd be happy to offer an extra layer of assistance at that time.

Lex
Ram Cares

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Is this the same issue that has been happening in the eTORQ engines for some time? I know they just officially issued a recall or back in April. I believe a PCM flash is supposed to fix this issue. Check it Out

sotomayorc

Reaction score
Hello,

We are sorry to hear about this. Have you considered visiting another dealer for a second opinion? If you choose to go that route or revisit your original dealer for further diagnosis, please feel free to send us a private message. We'd be happy to offer an extra layer of assistance at that time.

Lex
Ram Cares
I’m taking it to a second dealership this upcoming Saturday. I’ll post outcome of their findings. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞🏻

DVaughn22

Reaction score
Just chiming in to say I've had something similar happening as well. I've got a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 eTorque w/ 27k on it.

I've had it happen to me 4 times over the past ~90 days. Although my issues seem to be slightly different than most in that my truck shuts off entirely and I can coast down to a stop and then it shifts itself into park. When it dies, it shuts off my dash and center screen and then the dash boots back up as I'm coasting to a stop as if I had just opened a door and it's telling me to push the brake and ignition button to start it. But the key fob is 100% unresponsive. Can click lock, unlock, etc. with zero response. Even after testing the battery in the key fob and changing it to be safe, it has happened several time since. Even going as far as swapping to my second key fob and even putting a brand new battery in that one as well.

The first time it was like many are saying, slow, taking a right hand turn and as I was accelerating out of the turn it died. Then on the same day, about an hour later. As I was going to go buy a new battery for my key fob, thinking that was it. It did it while I was driving 30, straight line, dies.

Third time, about 8 weeks from the first incident. Driving 60 down a straight stretch of road. Had gotten a car wash about 10 minutes prior, dies. This time I started looking for anything telling whatsoever. The only things I found were some relays and fuses not being seated super well. Figured that was it and called it a day. Started back up and all was fine.

Fourth time, today, about 3 weeks since the third incident. Driving 70 down the freeway. Went to plug in my phone to the #1 USB-C hub. Truck died almost instantly. Whether that was coincidence or caused it, no clue. Just stating for information sake. This time it shut off and I wasn't able to get it started for nearly an hour. I checked all the relays and fuses, all seated. I checked my key fob battery was working, perfect. I checked my battery terminals, clean and holding great. Checked my battery voltage, 13.9v. Couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong. Called RAM service and they had no ideas for me. Basically just said that they might need to replace the eTorque generator. Ended up just holding my brake and having the key fob pushed into the ignition button for ~5s and then my dash and center screen lit up like normal. Put my key in my pocket where it normally is and was able to start and drive the rest of the day with next to zero issue. The only other thing that happened today was that on my drive home, my center screen rebooted itself while driving, totally unprompted. But didn't affect the driving at all.

With all my issues, all signs point towards the RF transmitter (?) but my local dealers are all booked solid for the next ~33 days. And they won't order one in advance at my request. They want to take a look at it. Even though they will almost assuredly say that they can't reproduce it and then tell me there's nothing they can do anyways.

Thinking of joining the many frustrated owners and unfortunately just trade it away for something else that won't leave me stranded.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. This issue is very serious and it is shocking that a root cause has not been identified.

Many of us think that the problem is with the RF Hub as you have mentioned. There also seems to be a correlation to the rear window leak and water intrusion in the RF Hub and connector.

I had this problem back in January. The dealership replaced the window and I wanted them to replace the RF Hub, except it was on back-order.

I think they are finally available, so I am going to replace it myself and "waterproof" the area in case of another issue with the window.

The dealership will most likely tell you that no error codes have been recorded and send you on your way. I also doubt they will have the approval to change the RF hub without an error code or recall.

I keep checking this forum for a solution, so keep us posted.

Garyindiane

Reaction score
Checking in to this nightmare. Mine shut off twice on my way to work today...
I am dropping it off at the dealership tonight. Wish me luck! 🤬

titan3636

Reaction score
There’s a recall now. Anyone with the issue can get their computer flashed for free at the dealership to resolve the issue. I did it and been good ever since and I get better gas mileage as well. It was some issue with the computer would tell system to mix too much fuel in or something and would run too rich at times and shut off. I got a letter in the mail about the recall as well. Took them like 30 mins to apply the software update and fix the issue.

Last edited:

GeorgeA

Reaction score
This is probably a different issue from the one that I experienced. My vehicle is a 2020 model year and there have been no such recalls for the particular issue that I had.

6of36

Reaction score
There’s a recall now. Anyone with the issue can get their computer flashed for free at the dealership to resolve the issue. I did it and been good ever since and I get better gas mileage as well. It was some issue with the computer would tell system to mix too much fuel in or something and would run too rich at times and shut off. I got a letter in the mail about the recall as well. Took them like 30 mins to apply the software update and fix the issue.

That recall has been out a long time. It's 21 E-torque only.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I’m trying another dealer to check into my cutting off issue on Saturday. Dropping it off with them and will see what they come up with

Garyindiane

Reaction score
Checking in to this nightmare. Mine shut off twice on my way to work today...
I am dropping it off at the dealership tonight. Wish me luck! 🤬
Well they did the recall on mine. No more issues so far. If anything else pops up I will be sure to follow up here.

Pattruck

Reaction score
I have a brand new 23 Ram 1500 v6 with the e torque, had it less than 2 weeks, and have had the shutdown happen to me twice. Both very different situations, backing out of the driveway, the other time I was going 50 down a road. Truck has been at the dealership for a week and of course they can’t replicate it and are getting no errors.
I have a brand new 22 Ram 1500 Bighorn V6 E torque, 6 months old and 9400km on it. I had the shutdown happened to me twice. Same situations: Slowed down at red light and the light passed to green just before I stopped. (speed under 10 km/h). I applied throttle and nothing happened. Very dangerous for me and others. Parking brake applied himself in the middle of the street, and need to restart. Seem that the Etorque shut down engine before the wheels stopped and when I need to go, the engine doesn’t received the command to restart.

Galaxy

Reaction score
Now it was my turn, RAM 1500 3.6V6 etorque 2022, with barely 10,300km, at 60km/h I was going to turn left and the vehicle turned off, there was no warning sign on the dashboard, it stopped little by little and stopped. He activated the brake. I parked, then pressed the brake pedal and made it go instantly; The feeling is fear without knowing what is happening or why it happened, I was lucky and the cars swerved, I don't want to imagine this at higher speeds on a highway with my wife next to me and my two children behind.

Please tell me if there is a solution to this factory defect, it is impossible for a vehicle to send a signal that causes it to stop and the driver to lose control of the vehicle. How many accidents do you expect to happen?

PD. I sold my 18-year-old Toyota thinking that to have safe family trips it was better to buy a new vehicle and look at me now.

Thank you for your comments

Galaxy

Reaction score
Tengo una Ram 1500 Bighorn V6 E 22 nueva , con 6 meses de antigüedad y 9400 km. A mí me pasó el cierre dos veces. Mismas situaciones: Reduje la velocidad en el semáforo en rojo y el semáforo pasó a verde justo antes de detenerme. (velocidad inferior a 10 km/h). Apreté el acelerador y no pasó nada. Muy peligroso para mí y para los demás. El freno de mano se aplicó solo en medio de la calle y es necesario reiniciar. Parece que el Etorque apagó el motor antes de que las ruedas se detuvieran y cuando necesito ir, el motor no recibe la orden de reiniciar.
Hola Patricio, pudiste encontrar la solución al problema? Veo que tienes un 3.6V6 también,

Stewbacca

Reaction score
My 21 Limited has done this about 5 times over the last year. I have noticed this shut off/stall would only happen if the stupid auto on/off is left active and I slowly creep up to a stop sign and "roll through" at a low RPM, it will shut off. Almost like the computer thinks Ive braked to stop but kept going. If the stop/start is off I haven't had this happen. Any more updates from anyone else?
Same exact here. Only when auto stop/start is activated. Ridiculous tho.

Users who are viewing this thread