5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

derichio02

Reaction score
I *just* had this issue occur an hour ago on my brand new 2023 Ram Rebel v8 eTorque with 1,230 miles on it. I was approaching a stop sign at slowing speed, maybe 5 mph. Engine shuts off. Shifts into park. eBrake goes on. No cars in front or in back of me.

Once I got it started and took off the eBrake, the Auto On/Off would not engage all the way home (stop and go for ~15 miles). I pushed the Auto On/Off button and no change. It was like that feature just disappeared.

Crazy that this is impacting 2023 vehicles?! Not happy.

This just happened to me and my wife in our new 2023 Bighorn 5.7e with 1500 miles on it. Happened once and we thought it was a fluke then it happened again after slowing to make a right turn. Engine off, shifted into park, and applied the e-brake while we were entering traffic.

Did you find a fix or get your vehicle flashed by the dealer? Wife doesn’t want to drive her truck anymore.

RAM_Driver

Reaction score
Now it was my turn, RAM 1500 3.6V6 etorque 2022, with barely 10,300km, at 60km/h I was going to turn left and the vehicle turned off, there was no warning sign on the dashboard, it stopped little by little and stopped. He activated the brake. I parked, then pressed the brake pedal and made it go instantly; The feeling is fear without knowing what is happening or why it happened, I was lucky and the cars swerved, I don't want to imagine this at higher speeds on a highway with my wife next to me and my two children behind.

Please tell me if there is a solution to this factory defect, it is impossible for a vehicle to send a signal that causes it to stop and the driver to lose control of the vehicle. How many accidents do you expect to happen?

PD. I sold my 18-year-old Toyota thinking that to have safe family trips it was better to buy a new vehicle and look at me now.

Thank you for your comments
Same here situation here, happened yesterday to me and I am really glad to find this forum that I am not the only one. For me it was stopping at a stop sign and then when it was my turn to go, I barely got thru the intersection as the vehicle completely shut it itself off and I had to quickly steer it out of the way to the curb. Took 2 mins to run thru the on-dash instructions and have it successfully start again.

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
2023 RAM 1500 3.6L V6 etorque model, 9,900 miles, randomly shut down on me 2 weeks ago after turning into my driveway going slow less than 10 MPH. Yesterday it shut off turning right of a road into a parking lot. Both time did the shifter autocorrect, locked parking brake down, and showed battery voltage low like around 11.2 volts. I have put my multi meter on the battery and it always shows 12.6 volts or higher. The truck starts right back up, and seems to run okay, the dash may have the low battery voltage on for up to a minute.

I have noticed before while creeping, going slow, if you barely push the accelerator the RPMs will go down and motor acts like it wants to bog or die. Wonder if that is related since issues I have read that it might be running to rich?

Heading to dealer to have them check it out but over the phone they didn't have much of a clue.

My 2020 5.7L V8 HEMI etorque with almost 100k never has had this issue.

Anything I should be looking for before service appointment?

Rebel2327

Reaction score
Mine happened always when I am about to come to a stop, either at stop signs, red light, or coming onto a driveway at slowing speed, the engine would abruptly stall, shifter would move to P. And auto park engaged. The dash would display auto shifter correct. And then displays the “press brake and press start button” message. I would always be able to start the engine again, release the auto brake, shift to D, and then drive again.

But when there were cars behind me it becomes quite concerning. Since it happened so suddenly, it would take me 10 secs to figure out that this is what’s happening and then 20 seconds to go through the drill and drive again.

I first experienced it at around 3-5000 miles. It didn’t think much about it in the beginning thinking it might be a glitch. During the first 10000 miles or so, it didn’t happen very often, usually once in 1-2 months apart. But as time went on, it happened more frequently. It got to the point it happened a few times a month, or twice on the same day. Now it has almost 30000 miles. At worst, it happened twice at two consecutive stop lights. After the first time, I turned off the auto on/off switch. And then it happened again at the next light. So now I know it didn’t matter whether the auto on/off function is activated.

I have taken the truck to the dealers twice for this issue. Both times they took 3 weeks and couldn’t replicate the issue so no fix was made. Looking at the trend, I fear this would get worse over time.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Mine happened always when I am about to come to a stop, either at stop signs, red light, or coming onto a driveway at slowing speed, the engine would abruptly stall, shifter would move to P. And auto park engaged. The dash would display auto shifter correct. And then displays the “press brake and press start button” message. I would always be able to start the engine again, release the auto brake, shift to D, and then drive again.

But when there were cars behind me it becomes quite concerning. Since it happened so suddenly, it would take me 10 secs to figure out that this is what’s happening and then 20 seconds to go through the drill and drive again.

I first experienced it at around 3-5000 miles. It didn’t think much about it in the beginning thinking it might be a glitch. During the first 10000 miles or so, it didn’t happen very often, usually once in 1-2 months apart. But as time went on, it happened more frequently. It got to the point it happened a few times a month, or twice on the same day. Now it has almost 30000 miles. At worst, it happened twice at two consecutive stop lights. After the first time, I turned off the auto on/off switch. And then it happened again at the next light. So now I know it didn’t matter whether the auto on/off function is activated.

I have taken the truck to the dealers twice for this issue. Both times they took 3 weeks and couldn’t replicate the issue so no fix was made. Looking at the trend, I fear this would get worse over time.
If you end up bringing it back to the Dealer, have them check the RF Hub and connections.

I have not experienced the issue (10 months) since I replaced the rear window and had the RF hub connections cleared of any water.

I still check this forum daily to see if the root cause and solution have been identified.

I am very cautious when making a left-hand turn with oncoming traffic.

Galaxy

Reaction score
Si termina devolviéndolo al distribuidor, pídale que revise el concentrador de RF y las conexiones.

No he experimentado el problema (10 meses) desde que reemplacé la ventana trasera y limpié las conexiones del concentrador de RF sin agua.

Todavía reviso este foro diariamente para ver si se han identificado la causa raíz y la solución.

Soy muy cauteloso al girar a la izquierda con tráfico en sentido contrario.
¿Qué km tenia cuando cambiaron el concentrador de RF y conexiones? mi Ram V6 tiene 10300kg, dudo que haya ingresado agua por la ventana trasera en tan poco tiempo, o el agua ingresa por los ductos de ventilación que están debajo de la ventana trasera de la cabina? ¿Tienes fotos del estado del conector antes de cambiarlo?

Coincido, al girar a bajas revoluciones miro el retrovisor para no tener vehículos muy cerca y siempre listo a presionar las luces de emergencia.

Cuantos años sin que RAM encuentre una solución a este tema, la próxima semana tengo cita para ingresar la mia, dejar el registro de lo ocurrido es la única manera de garantizar que lo cubran aun cuando culmine el período de garantía.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I've not read all 11 pages of responses, but in case someone didn't post it:

"
New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – 37A
FCA US LLC (FCA US) has announced a safety recall on certain 2021 Model Year (DT) Ram 1500 Pickup vehicles equipped with the 5.7L eTorque engine (sales code EZL).

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Some of the above vehicles may experience an engine shut down caused by an over rich fuel condition under certain operating conditions. An engine shut down may result in an unexpected loss of motive power while driving, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
SERVICE ACTION

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to update the Powertrain Control Module calibration software. The remedy for this condition is not currently available. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in 2nd Quarter of 2023.
We ask that you please take the time to ensure that your personnel are aware of this communication and are prepared to execute a customer friendly process for inquiries regarding involved vehicles.

Customer Services Field Operations FCA US LLC"

My 2021 did this to me perhaps three times in parking lots. It's not done again it since they addresed the recall at the dealer.

Shepherd19

Reaction score
Just to add one more occurrence to the thread. I've been having the same issue on my 2022 Bighorn 3.6 V6. Low speed stalling, coast to a stop amd auto park brake engages. This happened once earlier in the year and then three times within a few days the week before Thanksgiving. During the most recent occurrences, I also had a red battery warning light and voltage was below 12v.

Took it to the dealer that week on Nov 16th. According to the dealer it is the 48V battery pack in the rear cabin. Took until the next day for Star to confirm they would replace it, which they did, but it was going to take two weeks to send the 48V battery. That was supposed to arrive at the dealer today and it didn't. Dealer doesn't have an updated eta for the part. Going on 3 weeks without any progress.

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
So I am having the same issues still, 2023 RAM 1500 3.6L V6 etorque model, I have taken to the dealer 3 times now. Only once did it show a code, P032F - combustion engine producing insufficient torque... They schedule me for a re flash of PCM. I did that and it seemed to be okay for about a month and it did the same thing again, low speed stalling, motor shuts off, parking brake, auto shift correct. When restarting the battery light comes on and voltage gauge reads around 11.6 volts, however multi meter show 12.8 to 13.1 volts.

Hopefully I can get an engineer involved this time around as once it stalled pulling across 4 lane highway...

Anyone else get codes? A solution?

thaiboi

Reaction score
1000030016.jpg
Hello all,
New to the forum. And this happens to me yesterday 1/24/24 Check around and found this recall. here is the recall notice. Hope this help everyone. I'm taking my truck in today to see if that fix the issue

Kevink1429

Reaction score
I’ve had this issue three times now in the two years I’ve owned the truck. Last time was about two weeks ago. 2022 Ram 1500 big horn 5.7L no etorque approximately 20k miles. Each time while making slow turns. Brought it into the dealer. They had it all day and were unfamiliar with the issue. They contacted Chrysler who related my truck did throw a P032F code - Combustion Engine Producing Insufficient Torque. The dealer said it’s a vague code. Chrysler said to reset everything in the truck and release it back to me while they (Chrysler) investigate the issue. Dealer did say Chrysler told them this is a rare occurrence (doesn’t seem rare to me. Definitely unlucky, but lucky enough to have a code logged). Dealer said if Chrysler does nothing I should definitely contact them directly and not let it go. NHTSA complaint also filed.

youngjkin

Reaction score
I had the truck stalled twice today. 22 Rebel 5.7L Etourque around 20k miles. I was driving at around 40Mph. all lights flashed and lost power but was able to coast to the emergency lane. Shifted to park and restarted the engine. Happened again after I started driving and then it worked fine.
It is raining hard today and I wonder if it would be because of the rear window leak but didn't see any water intrusion.

I will take it to the dealer for a software update first.

This is scary if it happened on a freeway. I would consider trading it in if it continues to happen.

Clemzhemi

Reaction score
Mine did this and there were several tsb’s for updates to the computer and the e Torque is much smoother now and less jerky on take off. It appears to have fixed the issue. I called ram and also NHTSA and reported the incident.

Galaxy

Reaction score
Atualizo, mi V6 3,5 etorque ingreso a revision por el fallo de apagado al girar a la izquierda y: no encontraron registro de ningun codigo, no lograron reproducir el desperfecto pero lo unico que me parecio raro fue que en repetidas ocasiones me mencionaron que "la carga de la bateria se reviso y esta en perfecto estado", revisando un poco noto que este problema lo tienen tambien las RAM sin etorque pero que al igual que las que si lo traen equipado incluyen el auto start/stop que relacionado al boletin de la mezcla de combustible enriquecida podria estar relacionado con el combustible y el auto start/stop. Seria bueno de una vez por todas determinar la causa por lo menos para estar atento y evitar un accidente, por lo pronto seguire tratando de girar solo a la derecha... :D

Roxmo6b

Reaction score
Anyone had success with diagnosis or remedy?
I have been fighting this issue for 2 years. Never any codes. Besides the random shut downs, This vehical has stalled across 2 lanes of traffic on a major highway at the bottom of a hill, completely died in the middle of an intersection where it wouldn't even start, decided my key fob was not detected while i was sitting in the front seat with it and recently spazed while i was parking and wouldn't completely shut down nor start. - this i even have on video.
They have had my truck in the shop for 2 days doing diagnostics. Ripped out the back seat to check wires. And have sent all the info to Star link i think they called it. Should know by monday if anything was found or if it was another waste of time. Will keep you posted.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been fighting this issue for 2 years. Never any codes. Besides the random shut downs, This vehical has stalled across 2 lanes of traffic on a major highway at the bottom of a hill, completely died in the middle of an intersection where it wouldn't even start, decided my key fob was not detected while i was sitting in the front seat with it and recently spazed while i was parking and wouldn't completely shut down nor start. - this i even have on video.
They have had my truck in the shop for 2 days doing diagnostics. Ripped out the back seat to check wires. And have sent all the info to Star link i think they called it. Should know by monday if anything was found or if it was another waste of time. Will keep you posted.
Mine is at the dealer currently for my backlight and dash replacement as well as this cutting off issue as it returned last week after not having any issues since last August.

Roxmo6b

Reaction score
I've not read all 11 pages of responses, but in case someone didn't post it:

"
New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – 37A
FCA US LLC (FCA US) has announced a safety recall on certain 2021 Model Year (DT) Ram 1500 Pickup vehicles equipped with the 5.7L eTorque engine (sales code EZL).

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Some of the above vehicles may experience an engine shut down caused by an over rich fuel condition under certain operating conditions. An engine shut down may result in an unexpected loss of motive power while driving, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
SERVICE ACTION

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to update the Powertrain Control Module calibration software. The remedy for this condition is not currently available. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in 2nd Quarter of 2023.
We ask that you please take the time to ensure that your personnel are aware of this communication and are prepared to execute a customer friendly process for inquiries regarding involved vehicles.

Customer Services Field Operations FCA US LLC"

My 2021 did this to me perhaps three times in parking lots. It's not done again it since they addresed the recall at the dealer.
I have all recalls completed on my vehical this one was done the day after dodge realeased it, i just happened to have it towed in the next day. Did not fix the problem. Was good for 2 weeks than it spazed out worse than before the update.

Roxmo6b

Reaction score
Anyone had success with diagnosis or remedy?
So after multiple visits to dodge service they are thinking the problem may be the generator system is faulty...this is not confirmed we are still waiting for tech support to return the message. Will possibly hear back monday? Again will let you know what they say. This process is painfully slow. I must say

Users who are viewing this thread