5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

e-Torque Battery Pack replacement

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just replaced a problem ridden 2016 Nissan with this truck,,, sounds so much like a bad move I made... more I read the more buyers remorse I get.. the one guy in the dealership I disliked most was the Finance Manager... I should have walked out.. I had the cash to pay it off but was offered a Special Rebate Deal I fell for. I asked for copies of all the documents and he said no I can not have them.... I only had truck a few days. I may go back in and talk to the store owner.. I was considering a F150 but supply has been low..
Go over to the F-150 forum and you'll read similar stories. Same with GMC/Chevy. These are mostly minor concerns that impact a small percentage of owners. I had fewer problems with my 2019 Ram 1500 than the last three trucks I've owned (2014 Titan, 2016 Silverado, 2017 Titan). I recently sold the 2019 and I'm awaiting delivery of my 2021 Ram 1500 Limited. It's unfortunate that you ran into a bad dealership (there are many out there) but try another until you find a good service department. As far as paying off your truck, you can do that as soon as you receive your loan information. Actually, just go to Chrysler Capital and create your account. There's an option to do it by SS Number, so you don't even have to wait for your loan documents to show up in the mail. I just did this with my wife's Jeep GC. I took advantage of the rebates by financing with Chrysler and paid it off within a few weeks. In my opinion, these are really nice trucks, try to enjoy it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Go over to the F-150 forum and you'll read similar stories. Same with GMC/Chevy. These are mostly minor concerns that impact a small percentage of owners. I had fewer problems with my 2019 Ram 1500 than the last three trucks I've owned (2014 Titan, 2016 Silverado, 2017 Titan). I recently sold the 2019 and I'm awaiting delivery of my 2021 Ram 1500 Limited. It's unfortunate that you ran into a bad dealership (there are many out there) but try another until you find a good service department. As far as paying off your truck, you can do that as soon as you receive your loan information. Actually, just go to Chrysler Capital and create your account. There's an option to do it by SS Number, so you don't even have to wait for your loan documents to show up in the mail. I just did this with my wife's Jeep GC. I took advantage of the rebates by financing with Chrysler and paid it off within a few weeks. In my opinion, these are really nice trucks, try to enjoy it.
THIS^^^

If I could get $500 to a $1000 by taking FCA for my financing, I would in a heartbeat and then pay it right off. Dealers are slimy and often say things that aren't true or accurate. We all want to maximize our savings and taking a FCA loan for 30-days costs far less than making $500-$1000 off your deal.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just replaced a problem ridden 2016 Nissan with this truck,,, sounds so much like a bad move I made... more I read the more buyers remorse I get.. the one guy in the dealership I disliked most was the Finance Manager... I should have walked out.. I had the cash to pay it off but was offered a Special Rebate Deal I fell for. I asked for copies of all the documents and he said no I can not have them.... I only had truck a few days. I may go back in and talk to the store owner.. I was considering a F150 but supply has been low..
That what happens with one lets emotion dictate a purchase and not common sense. Never fall in love with a purchase - any purchase - so much that you won’t walk away when something doesn’t smell right. As for the eTorque, you’re making the broadest of assumptions you could make of any system on the truck...

I’ve owned Rams going back to the 80’s - zero regrets!

Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
What you say doesn't make any sense...
Why do you want to return your truck???

Reaction score
I had my etorque battery pack replaced 2 months after buying the truck. It’s a big suitcase sized unit behind the rear seat on the drivers side. They had to take the seat out...but it’s been good ever since (knock on wood).
What was the repair cost for the etorque replacement?

Reaction score
It was a warranty replacement.
I figured the warranty paid for it but was wondering what was total cost that the warranty paid? Just got a Ram with etorque and was wondering if paying for the extended warranty was worth it lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I figured the warranty covered it but was curious about the cost that the warranty paid. Just got a Ram 1500 with etorque and was wondering if getting the extended warranty is going to be worth it lol
Just keep in mind eTorque is covered under the 8/80 federal emissions warranty (if that applies to where you live).

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I figured the warranty covered it but was curious about the cost that the warranty paid. Just got a Ram 1500 with etorque and was wondering if getting the extended warranty is going to be worth it lol

With so many electronics on vehicles today, I'd say an extended warranty is a safe move.
You don't have to buy it from your dealer. There are good deals posted on this forum for Mopar warranty

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I figured the warranty paid for it but was wondering what was total cost that the warranty paid? Just got a Ram with etorque and was wondering if paying for the extended warranty was worth it lol
The extended warranty is a good idea if you plan on keeping the truck for a while.

Reaction score
The extended warranty is a good idea if you plan on keeping the truck for a while.
I ended up cancelling the extended warranty. It was actually a lifetime warranty/75k miles. It cost 4500 and I didn’t think I was getting a lot of value for the amount of money I was paying and the mileage it would cover.

Reactions: MJP

tukep

Reaction score
I've been having issues with electrical in my 2019 RAM e-Torque that has 3300 miles on it. I was driving to Fairbanks about 260 miles outside Anchorage when the problems started April 4th - truck died. Went black. They said towing was arranged would be back in town the following day. In truth, they let it sit on the side of the road for 3 days in the middle of nowhere - I only knew that because one of our haul drivers was taking a piece of heavy equipment up the highway, and he told me it was still there. It was finally towed back to Anchorage April 8th and they've had it since. They called me and narrowed it down to the 48v battery pack, and then told me the unit is on back order, and they had no idea when they would be getting one.

Is there any legal steps I can take here? This just seems completely unacceptable to me. $71,000 truck I bought in Feb, after the first one I bought in Nov. was totaled. This one hasn't been in my possession in almost 2 months.

Has anyone had experience with the battery being replaced? How long did it take?
I purchased mine in April of 20' and began having issues with my start/stop and vehicle dying around 5K miles.

Had it in to dealer and they told me the eTorque battery needed to be replaced only to find out a specific test wasn't documented correctly so due to the cost of the battery, it couldn't be ordered without proper documentation. Scheduled to take it back in next Wed to have it done. 70K+ on a truck shouldn't be having these types of issues. It's not like this is a brand new system for Ram.

Attachments

• 16445373118226133947236690230609.jpg
    16445373118226133947236690230609.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 26

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased mine in April of 20' and began having issues with my start/stop and vehicle dying around 5K miles.

Had it in to dealer and they told me the eTorque battery needed to be replaced only to find out a specific test wasn't documented correctly so due to the cost of the battery, it couldn't be ordered without proper documentation. Scheduled to take it back in next Wed to have it done. 70K+ on a truck shouldn't be having these types of issues. It's not like this is a brand new system for Ram.
$70K for a Bighorn???!!???!?? Are you crazy??? Did you really pay that???

tukep

Reaction score
$70K for a Bighorn???!!???!?? Are you crazy??? Did you really pay that???

It wasn't quite 70k, I just rounded up. However, after all the extras I added on like the 6 inch lift, bed liner, cold air intake, swing out bed box, rims, tires, etc.. it was in the 60s.

Dropped it off yesterday and spoke with service today. They said they did the "special test" on the start/stop battery to get that replaced, dud the recall update on the rear camera, and found a "loss of communication" somewhere in the electrical system that they believe is what is causing it to stall occasionally. Additionally, last month after idling for around 20 minutes while waiting for something, my headlights wouldn't turn on, the radio was on but nothing was coming out of the speakers. The volume display would show that the volume was increasing or decreasing as the knob was turned but no sound. Calls would not transfer through the infotainment system either. They believe this "loss of communication" is what is causing that as well.

They said they are going to need to keep the truck long enough to trace all the electrical systems in the engine compartment and dash to locate the issue. Thus is ridiculous.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So you’re having issues with a 50k truck. Not a 70k truck. Accessories don’t add value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread