5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

e-Torque Battery Pack replacement

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you are overreacting a bit...OK...A LOT! Forums will always have people with problems posting problems more than you may have folks posting how much they love their truck. On my second RAM and had no issues with either. Loving my 2021 and would buy another and recommend to friends and family. Be very cautious about what you read. EVERY vehicle made will have issues or lemons. Enjoy your truck and don't get caught up in all the crap you read on forums. If you read all of the forums for GM, FORD, RAM, NISSAN, etc...you would never buy any of them ;) If you think a warranty will give you added peace of mind, and plan to keep it more than 3/36, then buy the warranty and call it a day.

ENJOY YOUR TRUCK and don't let other peoples experiences taint what is a great product!!!
This is what I have to remind myself. There is a reason why the newspapers and news stations do not report good news. Bad news, like bad reviews, sells. Not too many people get on forums to let people know their ETorque is working great or that their rear window hasn't cracked.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
It wasn't quite 70k, I just rounded up. However, after all the extras I added on like the 6 inch lift, bed liner, cold air intake, swing out bed box, rims, tires, etc.. it was in the 60s.

Dropped it off yesterday and spoke with service today. They said they did the "special test" on the start/stop battery to get that replaced, dud the recall update on the rear camera, and found a "loss of communication" somewhere in the electrical system that they believe is what is causing it to stall occasionally. Additionally, last month after idling for around 20 minutes while waiting for something, my headlights wouldn't turn on, the radio was on but nothing was coming out of the speakers. The volume display would show that the volume was increasing or decreasing as the knob was turned but no sound. Calls would not transfer through the infotainment system either. They believe this "loss of communication" is what is causing that as well.

They said they are going to need to keep the truck long enough to trace all the electrical systems in the engine compartment and dash to locate the issue. Thus is ridiculous.
That’s crazy.. sorry to hear that.
These issues are not supposed to happen in any vehicle. Let alone a very expensive, brand new truck.

tukep

Reaction score
This is what I have to remind myself. There is a reason why the newspapers and news stations do not report good news. Bad news, like bad reviews, sells. Not too many people get on forums to let people know their ETorque is working great or that their rear window hasn't cracked.
My rear window hasn't cracked!

I had a lot of stuff done to the truck with a lot of add ons and yes I'm angry I'm having issues but overall, I love the truck. Fuel mileage could be better but that's partially my fault since I lifted it and put larger tires on it.

Dealership is replacing the switch under the hood that works with the start/stop tomorrow and I have a feeling they are gonna try to give me the run around on replacing the start/stop battery. I mean if the manufacturer is requesting special steps be taken by the techs before ordering the replacement I'm sure some kind of hassle is coming.

tukep

Reaction score
So you’re having issues with a 50k truck. Not a 70k truck. Accessories don’t add value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Considering I had everything put on by the dealership before I bought it, it's added on.

tukep

Reaction score
Means you just overpaid for the accessories. Still doesn’t add value.
Well, if I were talking about the value of the vehicle and not the money I paid, your comment would have relevance.

I'm not sure you how you know I "overpaid" for any of the accessories I added but your point that adding accessories to a vehicle or any other durable good like a house "doesn't add value" is just inaccurate.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What ever helps you sleep at night. Just don’t get your hopes up whenever you decide to sell or trade the truck in.

Last edited:

tukep

Reaction score
What ever helps you sleep at night. Just don’t get your hopes up whenever you decide to sell or trade the truck in.
You must really think I'm dumb. A vehicle loses 10% of it resale/trade in value as soon as its driven off the lot. No one ever gets back what they paid; that's just a fact.

No one expects to get what they paid in resale/trade in, however, to say that adding accessories, not just a set of valve stem caps and some seat covers, but durable accessories doesn't help in adding some value to a vehicle is just incorrect.

Additionally, the fact that everything that I added was installed by the dealership prior to the purchase means that all of those accessories are covered under my warranty which also helps the trade in/resale value should I ever decide to go that route.

I don't know if you are "Kelly" from the blue book but I assure you that I did not "overpay" for any of the accessories I added, nor is this the first vehicle I've ever purchased. I sleep just fine thank you.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I had the "Start/Stop system not available" message and dash light on yesterday after the truck sat 5 days in 40-50 degree weather. Is this the message that warns of a dead 48v battery? After driving 20 minutes at speed, and a off/on, the whole thing cleared. Odd, on motos and boats, lithium is the goto when you don't want the battery to go dead from sitting thru the winter for 6 months, I would have thought that 5 days woulda been a gimmee.

Is the sitting time going to be reduced on my battery pack?

The truck seemed to be fine driving as a standard hemi without S/S, is that an advancement since the beginning of this thread and model year production, to let it drive normal without S/S, and not be broke down at the dealer?

As others have said, mpg isn't really increased for me with a high percentage of driving at speed, and payload is reduced by the weight of the system, I wouldn't have gotten ET if I'd have known any of this before.

kjackson1134

Reaction score
I've been having issues with electrical in my 2019 RAM e-Torque that has 3300 miles on it. I was driving to Fairbanks about 260 miles outside Anchorage when the problems started April 4th - truck died. Went black. They said towing was arranged would be back in town the following day. In truth, they let it sit on the side of the road for 3 days in the middle of nowhere - I only knew that because one of our haul drivers was taking a piece of heavy equipment up the highway, and he told me it was still there. It was finally towed back to Anchorage April 8th and they've had it since. They called me and narrowed it down to the 48v battery pack, and then told me the unit is on back order, and they had no idea when they would be getting one.

Is there any legal steps I can take here? This just seems completely unacceptable to me. $71,000 truck I bought in Feb, after the first one I bought in Nov. was totaled. This one hasn't been in my possession in almost 2 months.

Has anyone had experience with the battery being replaced? How long did it take?
I am going Thur the same issues right now as we speck..I just made 40,000 on 2019 , auto start disabled & battery light, & occasionally check engine light comes on. Had e torque replace brand new , New battery under the hood, Dodge technician seems to think it's a short to the 24 volt battery I think personally did 24 battery is bad. I hope they solve my problem. Was truck doing the same thing with the lights on in the dash and did you ever figure out what the issue is. Or what cause this issue. Plz let me know.

kjackson1134

Reaction score
I've been having issues with electrical in my 2019 RAM e-Torque that has 3300 miles on it. I was driving to Fairbanks about 260 miles outside Anchorage when the problems started April 4th - truck died. Went black. They said towing was arranged would be back in town the following day. In truth, they let it sit on the side of the road for 3 days in the middle of nowhere - I only knew that because one of our haul drivers was taking a piece of heavy equipment up the highway, and he told me it was still there. It was finally towed back to Anchorage April 8th and they've had it since. They called me and narrowed it down to the 48v battery pack, and then told me the unit is on back order, and they had no idea when they would be getting one.

Is there any legal steps I can take here? This just seems completely unacceptable to me. $71,000 truck I bought in Feb, after the first one I bought in Nov. was totaled. This one hasn't been in my possession in almost 2 months.

Has anyone had experience with the battery being replaced? How lo

I got out of my GMC and got an e-Torque Dodge. I have just finished the tank of gas that comes with the truck when you buy it. My vehicle is going in for the third time Wednesday with less than 300 miles on it to have the e-Torque battery replaced. Ram needs to do something about this situation.
Did you e torque throw a auto stop and start disable , and battery light in the dash , and sometimes a check engine light. Once u replace e torque battery did it solve your issues.

RamCares

Reaction score
I am going Thur the same issues right now as we speck..I just made 40,000 on 2019 , auto start disabled & battery light, & occasionally check engine light comes on. Had e torque replace brand new , New battery under the hood, Dodge technician seems to think it's a short to the 24 volt battery I think personally did 24 battery is bad. I hope they solve my problem. Was truck doing the same thing with the lights on in the dash and did you ever figure out what the issue is. Or what cause this issue. Plz let me know.
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealer, please reach out to us via direct messaging!

Callie
Ram Cares

kjackson1134

Reaction score
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealer, please reach out to us via direct messaging!

Callie
Ram Cares
Callie I ve owned 7 dodge/ ram trucks , that the problem technicians in my area are not that good for as working on trucks issues, I have appointment today for the continue issue with auto start disable and a light battery check engine on in the dash , replace e torque alternator which took whole month for the dealership too get problem still exist. Now I may have leave my truck at the dealership God knows for how long . The older days the dealership where I purchased truck use to allow u a loaner vehicle, now they saying they don't do that anymore. My dealership locally still does it. I am really considering purchasing a Toyota tundra this time and getting away from ram trucks. My email is [email protected].

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most technicians have no experience or training on hybrid type systems, with only a vague knowledge that computers control everything, including throwing codes and limiting system use with codes. BUT, even if they do diagnose the problem, warranty repairs have to be made in the order FCA specifies, in accordance with FCA policies, so the tech may not be ALLOWED to replace certain defective parts until other cheaper parts have been tried first. The techs clear codes and send it out the door, then the customer has to make another appt a month out to be looked at, then the next level of parts ordered, then another appt made a month out to replace that next part, and so on, and so on. Throw in "supply chain", etorque units too expensive to stock, etc, and you can see why it takes so much time and money to get problems fixed.

RamCares

Reaction score
Callie I ve owned 7 dodge/ ram trucks , that the problem technicians in my area are not that good for as working on trucks issues, I have appointment today for the continue issue with auto start disable and a light battery check engine on in the dash , replace e torque alternator which took whole month for the dealership too get problem still exist. Now I may have leave my truck at the dealership God knows for how long . The older days the dealership where I purchased truck use to allow u a loaner vehicle, now they saying they don't do that anymore. My dealership locally still does it. I am really considering purchasing a Toyota tundra this time and getting away from ram trucks. My email is [email protected].
Hey there!

If your vehicle is at the dealer, we'd love to get you some assistance with diagnosis and repair. Please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Oldphart

Reaction score
Exactly, how many folks do you know that have a good car, or refrigerator, or just about anything? There was a study done some time ago and it seems that for every positive comment, there are 27 negative ones. This study was done way before the internet so I'm sure it's even more out of whack now.

kjackson1134

Reaction score

Has anyone had experience with the battery being replaced? How long did it take?
Mine did the same thing so what mines , didn't completely die , cause I had replace 12 volt battery . It either the 24 volt battery bad and truck completely running off 12 volt until it pull it all the the way down. My problem was right underneath the 24 volt battery, it a ground wire that come from the 24 volt battery that is grounded to the bottom of the cab floor the The screw was loose and it was losing the ground to feed 24 volt battery. Which cause the truck to be running only in the 12volt, until it damage battery or drain all the way down. Which causes truck go black and shut down completely.

kjackson1134

Reaction score
Hey there,

Callie
Ram Cares
Thx you Callie ram care the technician Tyler @ winnsboro Chrysler and Dodge in winnsboro Louisiana did a excellent job
If I could enter this form to be subjected and criticized I can enter this form to praise someone during an excellent job worked above and beyond on my truck. And got to root of my issues . Thxs again callie

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would but I don't want to jinx myself.

Users who are viewing this thread