5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver's seat is brutal!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cool, I'm sure I wasn't the only person to let them know that it was actually a 12mm bolt, glad they updated their instructions.

My too on the etorx, I only had a screwdriver set and that wasn't going to work, Harbor Freight had a good set for like $5-$10.
Mine came from harbor freight as well. But they only had the Icon brand at my local one so was a little more.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Going to pick it up tomorrow.

I can't thank you all enough for all the helpful advice.

Oh that's a fancy set, nice.

Happy to help, hopefully this will fix your issues, I can tell you by reading the forums and reviews, it gave me the confidence to try this fix, and very glad it did.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd recommend a trim removal tool to help pop the plastic trim pieces off.

This is the one I use. Helped when I did the speaker replacement on fro t doors too
QMET Plastic Fastener Remover Clip Removal Tool https://a.co/d/cD43TYI

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here you go, here is the seat jackets installed at the highest point with the seat trim installed. The OEM all weather mats do a decent job in hiding the additional height at the base. View attachment 170296 View attachment 170297

Perfect. I really appreciate it. I was concerned the front of the trim piece would be elevated above the carpet the height of the jackers.

chewmeista

Reaction score
I think so, it was a permanent fix for me. I mean the pain was enough I was actually considering getting a different vehicle, the seat jackers have solved that.

Here are my installation notes (in additional to the factory instructions you will get).

- The factory seat bolts are 12mm E-Torx (my instructions said they were 14mm, they were not), and they are on pretty snug all the way from beginning to the end of their removal, estimate about 10 ft-lbs all the way through. You should use a socket wrench to remove them.

- You only need to remove the front bolts completely. Don't let the squeaky noise as you unscrew them scare you, there is a pressure clip/nut under the seat mount that makes that noise. Luckily you only need to loosen the rear bolts for installation, don't remove them completely, just enough so you can pull the seat back and place the spacers in position.

- The plastic covers that cover the front seat bolts are removed by pulling them towards you. Just grab them with both hands and pull towards you, they will snap off.

- The right rear seat bolt is exposed, the left rear seat bolt you need to use a flat head screwdriver to remove a small plastic cover to expose the bolt head. Again, you only need to loosen these bolts, don't remove them completely.

- You will need to slide your seat forward and back all the way to access both the front and rear bolts at different times.

The lumbar support can`t compensate for that?
I've been adjusting everything. I think I might have found a happy medium, but I also just installed the seat jackers. Praying it will help.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've been adjusting everything. I think I might have found a happy medium, but I also just installed the seat jackers. Praying it will help.
Awesome, keep testing. Generally if you feel pain, go higher on the front. Also, moving my left foot closer to me raises my knee up and also aids in reducing back discomfort, especially after a really long drive.

chewmeista

Reaction score
Awesome, keep testing. Generally if you feel pain, go higher on the front. Also, moving my left foot closer to me raises my knee up and also aids in reducing back discomfort, especially after a really long drive.
Before you did the jackers did you notice the back cushion pressing against your mid to upper back? I basically moved the lumbar support close to that area to offset the "bulge" feeling. It made my mid back sore.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Before you did the jackers did you notice the back cushion pressing against your mid to upper back? I basically moved the lumbar support close to that area to offset the "bulge" feeling. It made my mid back sore.

I did everything you could imagine to adjust my seat, from the lumbar to forming a "C" shape, which helped a little, but nothing could prevent my lower back pain after 30 minutes of driving. No vehicles I've ever owned has had this issue with my lower back, and I've owned a bit in my 30 years of driving. I was considering getting a new vehicle or at least going through an uplostery shop to completely redo my seat in some way.

The seat jackers cured my back pain I would say 97%, I will sometimes feel a "tinged" once in a while, but nothing I would call pain.

I think it's just a minority of people in the world have this issue depending on how they fit a certain seat, not just with RAMs, but all sorts of vehicles, and the fix seems to be raise the front some.

Casull

Reaction score
Six pages of responses and most don't even address the OP's problem. Either they go on about how these are the most comfortable seats they've ever sat in or they want to talk about back pain and how the seats are too high/low. He was asking about pain from the bolsters. I'm 6' and 215 lbs. The bolsters don't hurt, but they are irritating. Stormcom had the best response that actually addressed the problem.

I had a 2021 Limited and felt the same way. Find a good upholstery shop and for 150.00 or so, they can repair the seat. Part of the problem is the sides are too firm but the biggie is the back half of the seat is not reinforced like the front. You actually sag in the back outside corner which puts pressure on the hip and leg. They also have a metal bar that presses on the hip. Ram is aware about the issue but won't do anything (I have talked to them). A good shop can do wonders. I am over 6 feet and a big old Norsk. My wife is 5 ft. nothing and she says they are ok but not great.

If your limited is 4 mo. old, your dealer can do it under sublet repair. Let them take care of it.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Six pages of responses and most don't even address the OP's problem. Either they go on about how these are the most comfortable seats they've ever sat in or they want to talk about back pain and how the seats are too high/low. He was asking about pain from the bolsters. I'm 6' and 215 lbs. The bolsters don't hurt, but they are irritating. Stormcom had the best response that actually addressed the problem.
So, after reading thru all that junk.
What is your recommendation to the OP?
All I can do is share my firsthand experience about the seats in my truck.
I am 5' 10" 186 lbs. The seats hug me almost perfectly.
And as all-ways YMMW. Cheers.

Last edited:

Casull

Reaction score
So, after reading thru all that junk.
What is your recommendation to the OP?
All I can do is share my firsthand experience about the seats in my truck.
I am 5' 10" 186 lbs. The seats hug me almost perfectly.
And as all-ways YMMW. Cheers.

My recommendation was pretty clear. Look at Stormcom's post. Not sure how you're firsthand experience aided the OP in any way. No offense.

chewmeista

Reaction score
I'm going to have to go the upholstery route. Tired the seat jackers and didn't do much. My problem is the more firm part of the back rest, just above the highest lumbar setting, pressing against my back. It's just ridiculous. I really want to love my Ram, but my seat is depressing.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'm going to have to go the upholstery route. Tired the seat jackers and didn't do much. My problem is the more firm part of the back rest, just above the highest lumbar setting, pressing against my back. It's just ridiculous. I really want to love my Ram, but my seat is depressing.
That sucks man, but you tried the cheapest & easiest stuff first.

Hopefully the reupholstery route will be the fix. If my seat jackers didn't work, that's exactly where I would be going next.

jkschnoo

Reaction score
Hey Everyone- First post on this forum, been watching this thread as I am having the same issue. Had a Ram 1500 with cloth bench seats for 9 years and never had any issues. Got the 2023 rebel and now my left leg and lower back are in pain when getting out of the truck after even 20 min driving. Didnt notice it on test drive. While driving it feels like my left leg is unsupported and kind of dangling down and to the left. Tried lowering the seat, raising seat, nothing seems to feel good. I ordered the Desert Does It seat jackers, praying that it can help make this truck more comfortable. I dont know if the seat size changed from 2015 to 2023, or if the Rebel trim seats are narrower, or what's goin on.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Hey Everyone- First post on this forum, been watching this thread as I am having the same issue. Had a Ram 1500 with cloth bench seats for 9 years and never had any issues. Got the 2023 rebel and now my left leg and lower back are in pain when getting out of the truck after even 20 min driving. Didnt notice it on test drive. While driving it feels like my left leg is unsupported and kind of dangling down and to the left. Tried lowering the seat, raising seat, nothing seems to feel good. I ordered the Desert Does It seat jackers, praying that it can help make this truck more comfortable. I dont know if the seat size changed from 2015 to 2023, or if the Rebel trim seats are narrower, or what's goin on.

Same thing, but it's worked for many including myself, however as you can see in this thread, not 100% for everyone. If this doesn't work for you, you may want to talk with a car interior upholstery person who can modify your seat.

jkschnoo

Reaction score
Yeah really hoping the jacker works. What do you think would be the best way to modify? Make it flatter? Are the limited seats different proportions, or just different leather? I was thinking about maybe replacing it with a whole new seat altogether.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Let us know if that works.
I put a dead pedal in mine and a million times better

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah really hoping the jacker works. What do you think would be the best way to modify? Make it flatter? Are the limited seats different proportions, or just different leather? I was thinking about maybe replacing it with a whole new seat altogether.

That I don't know, everyone is different, but a good upholstery shop should have an idea of what you need. Find the best reviewed one in your area and give them a call to see if they have some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread