5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver's seat is brutal!

RebeLylea

Reaction score
For whatever reason I cannot get this seat positioned so it doesn't absolutely kill me on a drive longer than 5 minutes. It's very uncomfortable which causes me to constantly adjust my body position. The first issue is how stiff the side supports on the seat BOTTOM are. It affects me on my left side, and it almost feels like there's a baseball in that portion of the support. Eventually my left leg in the hamstring area will start to bother me and it'll get progressively worse, trickle into my lower back and it's completely downhill from there. I put about an hour of seat time in yesterday and by the time I got back home I was physically exhausted from the discomfort and pain. As soon I get out of that seat, there's a huge relief!

It's in the back of my mind that perhaps I have something going on with my back, nerve, something. But the only time any of this is experienced is when I am driving this truck. I'm not sure there is a seat position combination that I haven't tried aside from being so far up and back that I cannot reach the pedals. Perhaps quality control and or the manufacturing process of a batch of these seats was lacking? I'm not exactly a large human, being 5'10" on a good day, and weighing in at 230#. I couldn't imagine being 6'3" 275+ with how narrow the seat bottoms are when factoring in the side supports.

I really want to like this truck, but it's literally painful to drive. Has anyone seen or dealt with a similar issue? There are just north of 5500 miles on the truck at this point, and I was hoping the seat just needed some break in time, but if anything it has gotten worse. Equivalent to sitting on your wallet (which I carry in my right pocket, and never sit on it). I need to stop in at the dealership and express my concern. Unsure how quickly they will tell me to kick rocks but I'm certainly discouraged with this being my first new vehicle, paying nearly 60k and its the worse driving experience I've ever had, and that includes some real POS vehicles, lol. Hell, squeezing into my in-laws 2003 Miata is more pleasurable than the seat of this truck!

Truck in question is a 2022 Rebel Crew cab with the cloth/vinyl seats

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Pretty sure most are going to say they have the opposite experience. I have driven 12 hour days in the truck a few times and it is very comfortable. If you don't find a comfortable position you have 2 choices, sell or get use to it. Nothing the dealer can do.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Buy a cheap gel cushion that fits between the side supports? Makes everything close to the same height.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Switch to the bench seat instead of the two captains chairs
Outside of getting one of those super awesome taxi cab bead seat things or covering the cushions with dr shoals gel sole inserts, alejandro’s suggestion may be worth looking into.

RebeLylea

Reaction score
Pretty sure most are going to say they have the opposite experience. I have driven 12 hour days in the truck a few times and it is very comfortable. If you don't find a comfortable position you have 2 choices, sell or get use to it. Nothing the dealer can do.

Which seat style do you have? Mine are the "Sport" Style with the aggressive bolsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Ram had the worst seat design back in the early 2000's and I had to modify all of mine.
There is a metal strut with minimal padding that runs up the length of my legs and cuts off circulation casuing numbness and discomfort.

I used turf and underpad from boating projects to build up my bottom seat over these areas and alleve the problem. I haven't had the issue on my 2019 Limited but I can't say if the leather seats are different than what's in your model.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Switch to the bench seat instead of the two captains chairs
The driver and passenger front seats are the same for either configuration. The "bench" seat is nothing more than two bucket seats with a jump seat between them for the 6 passenger seating option. They install the center console in place of the jump seat if you get the 5 passenger seating option.

6 passenger seating
6 passenger seating.JPG

5 passenger seating
5 pasenger seating.JPG

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a bad back (3 surgeries in the last 24 months and one more to go) and my Ram has the most comfortable seats of any truck I've owned. My only complaint is the mild bolstering. At 5' 10" and 180lbs, there's too much room between the bolsters to keep my butt firmly planted in my seat. I will say, I can ride in the same truck, with the seats positioned too low and it kills my back. Have you tried raising the height of your seats? I'm assuming the Rebel has height adjustment like the Laramie.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find the seat pretty comfortable, I've done up to a 12 hour drive and was surprised how good I felt. I am 6'8" and do wish the seat had more travel back as I could use a little more leg room.

RebeLylea

Reaction score
The driver and passenger front seats are the same for either configuration. The "bench" seat is nothing more than two bucket seats with a jump seat between them for the 6 passenger seating option. They install the center console in place of the jump seat if you get the 5 passenger seating option.

6 passenger seating
View attachment 129355

5 passenger seating
View attachment 129357

Yeah my bolsters visually seem to be much more aggressive than those.

I'm half tempted to talk my buddy with a '19 Rebel into swapping driver seats for a weekend to see if he experiences the same thing.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like the seat isn't assembled correctly. Have you sat in the passenger seat?

RebeLylea

Reaction score
Sounds like the seat isn't assembled correctly. Have you sat in the passenger seat?

Very briefly. Those bolsters (drivers side) are pretty stiff, and you can physically feel a lump that presses right into the joint of where my thigh/cheek connect. If that makes sense.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where do you have your wallet while driving?
I'm about the same size/weight and the seats are very comfortable compared to my previous vehicles, but my wallet stays in my front pocket.

RebeLylea

Reaction score
Somewhere in my center console. When I’m not seated, it’s in my right pocket anyhow.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few things that I found when getting a new vehicle are getting the seats in the right position for comfort. My left leg and lower back were killing me in my Rebel when I first got it. My son turned on the lower back lumbar, which caused uncomfortable pressure on my lower back. I released the lumbar completely and that helped some, but not all of the issue. I then started playing with the position of the lower seat cushion. I found that having the front lifted was causing additional lower back and hip strain, so I adjusted the seat cushion to a more forward leaning position. I haven't had a single issue since and drove the truck to Northern Kentucky from Central Florida, and back. I love the truck now.

Find how the seta works for you in another vehicle and try adjusting this seat similarly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 6'5" and 290lbs and the seats in my Ram BTS are the most comfortable of any vehicle I have owned. Ha e you tried sitting in other Rams to test their seats. There may be a problem with yours. Instead of swapping seats with your buddy, just ask him if you can borrow his truck for a weekend to test it. Or at least go for a drive, with him as passenger, to see if his are the same. No point in swapping the seats between trucks when you can just drive his truck

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm 6'5" and 290lbs and the seats in my Ram BTS are the most comfortable of any vehicle I have owned. Ha e you tried sitting in other Rams to test their seats. There may be a problem with yours. Instead of swapping seats with your buddy, just ask him if you can borrow his truck for a weekend to test it. Or at least go for a drive, with him as passenger, to see if his are the same. No point in swapping the seats between trucks when you can just drive his truck
Agreed. Seems like a lot of work to swap seats when they could just do what you suggested.

As far as seat comfort goes, the seats in my Limited are very comfortable. More comfortable even than the seats in my Audi. They're probably the most comfortable seats I've owned. I've driven it on a couple long trips, and I didn't feel the need to stop and stretch every hour. As others have said, you might have just gotten poorly or incorrectly assembled seats.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
5’6” here and I find it ok. The only real complaint is in the length of the seat itself isn’t ideal for someone my height (cuts circulation after a while). I do 14 hours drives fairly often and overall it’s pretty good. My 14 was the same.

Users who are viewing this thread