5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem?

Jack

Reaction score
Does 2020 Ram 1500 still has AC not cool enough problem? I know this has been an issue plaguing 2019 models. I did some digging. People are getting 50-60 at the vent as opposed to 37-42 found in Fords. I really like how Ram rides but I simply cannot stomach a poorly performing AC. I wonder if there’s any updates regarding that. Should I wait for the 2021 f150?

Luxy72462

Reaction score
2020 Bighorn with no issues. Traded off my 19 Rebel that had the issue intermittently but this time no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack

Reaction score
2020 Bighorn with no issues. Traded off my 19 Rebel that had the issue intermittently but this time no issues.

Did you measure it by chance? Have you compared it to a competitor? Sometimes I wonder if people eventually get used to it or has no frame of reference. My current car requires me to point the AC vent at me on high when it’s 100 degrees out. One time I got into my friend’s f150 from my car to share a ride to Phoenix, I was actually cold within 10 minutes.

Luxy72462

Reaction score
Did you measure it by chance? Have you compared it to a competitor? Sometimes I wonder if people eventually get used to it or has no frame of reference. My current car requires me to point the AC vent at me on high when it’s 100 degrees out. One time I got into my friend’s f150 from my car to share a ride to Phoenix, I was actually cold within 10 minutes.

When it worked right it was in the mid 40s. My new one is always low 40s. Living in Florida I use it year round so I know when things don’t seem to be cooling right.

Jack

Reaction score
When it worked right it was in the mid 40s. My new one is always low 40s. Living in Florida I use it year round so I know when things don’t seem to be cooling right.

Did you have the ac on auto? How’s the cooled seats? I also hear in order for ram to stay cool the ac has to be constantly on pretty high.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you actually do some reading on here you'll find it isn't a problem that "plagued" 2019's. There are over 300,000 on the road now and there are maybe 40-50 members that have filled the forum with complaints. Mine gets to my programmed temp just as fast as my previous Rams and Fords. Most people don't need OR want 40° air blowing on them. All they care about is does the system get to the programmed temperature in a reasonable time and maintain it. My all black in and out Ram with the panoramic roof does that. I've had plenty of different passengers and I have someone in the back seat most of the time and no one belly aches about the a/c. If you want to ride around in meatlocker conditions, maybe this truck won't meet your expectations.
It irks me when this "problem" keeps getting presented that it's a "common" complaint when looking at the hundreds of thousands out in the field don't have an issue with the a/c.

Last edited:

Bearman95

Reaction score
I agree, I also have a black ram Laramie sport 2020 with panoramic sunroof, no problems whatsoever! Air-conditioning gets cold. Bought the truck in September with 98° weather in Fort Worth Texas. Gets cold and stays cold! Usually kept the temperature set around 68.

Kob0583

Reaction score
My 20 rebel seems fine, it hasn’t been super hot 78 highest so far but I find it’s cold and don’t want it blowing right on me or I’ll get cold. When it gets hotter and more humid I’ll report back but so far I have no indication that it’s going to be a issue

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Don't know about the 20's but
If you actually do some reading on here you'll find it isn't a problem that "plagued" 2019's. There are over 300,000 on the road now and there are maybe 40-50 members that have filled the forum with complaints. Mine gets to my programmed temp just as fast as my previous Rams and Fords. Most people don't need OR want 40° air blowing on them. All they care about is does the system get to the programmed temperature in a reasonable time and maintain it. My all black in and out Ram with the panoramic roof does that. I've had plenty of different passengers and I have someone in the back seat most of the time and no one belly aches about the a/c. If you want to ride around in meatlocker conditions, maybe this truck won't meet your expectations.
It irks me when this "problem" keeps getting presented that it's a "common" complaint when looking at the hundreds of thousands out in the field don't have an issue with the a/c.
How do you know there are hundreds of thousands without complaints? I'm really happy for those that don't have an issue but those of us who do are not asking for meat locker conditions. We'd just like mid 40's vent temps without having to hack the ac. If I were to buy a 2020, I'd certainly check the ac.

Jack

Reaction score

I’m glad it’s not a problem for you. I’m still looking for an definitive answer for 2020 year. I wonder if FCA is choosing some crappy AC supplier based off fiat standards. One thing struck me the most about f150 is how quickly it cools and the AC barely have to blow after it’s cooled. I’ve heard on one owner’s review on YouTube that he has to have the AC constantly on in order for him to stay comfortable. I mean, we all have different standards. I for one care a lot about AC and headlights. Which is why I’m going for limited or bust. Now I just need to know if the AC is going to work as well as a Ford. If 2021 ford rides as well as a ram I might just go for ford, but then there’s always the headlights to worry about with Ford. Decisions decisions

zdeckich

Reaction score
I agree, I also have a black ram Laramie sport 2020 with panoramic sunroof, no problems whatsoever! Air-conditioning gets cold. Bought the truck in September with 98° weather in Fort Worth Texas. Gets cold and stays cold! Usually kept the temperature set around 68.

My 19 does not have the AC problem either, I'm also in Fort Worth and know what you mean by the temps. Looks like we are finally cooling off lol

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I'm hoping that mine too is good enough. I bought it not long ago (winter here and damn cold) so I haven't had a chance to try it but coming from a car that took ages to cool off and even then wasn't that cold......we'll see.

My buddy has an old Fusion as a high mileage commuter and coming back from a fishing trip in the summer, I have to say his AC was unbelievebly cold. I mean, I have never been in a car with the AC that cold. It was super uncomfortable and I had to turn it down. Maybe a Ford thing? I dunno.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned mine for one year now and no problems. Most people riding with me complain that it's too cold.

Based on your concerns you should definitely buy a Ford. The AC works plenty fine on my truck but it doesn't blow out of the vents like a freezer. Within 10 minutes of starting the truck from a hot day, windows up and truck been sitting, I have to turn the AC down. I have not measured the temperature out of the vents because a) it's cold air and b) I have to turn the air down after 10 minutes. That's acceptable to me in a hot condition. If you want the inside of your truck to feel like a beer cave you will probably be disappointed in the Ram and will likely prefer the Ford. Luckily, Ford has good forums out there too so you can get confirmation from those guys. Enjoy your 150 and post up some pics when you get it!

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^this, and mine never stays on pro-longed high fan speeds when set to Auto like OP is concerned about

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m glad it’s not a problem for you. I’m still looking for an definitive answer for 2020 year. I wonder if FCA is choosing some crappy AC supplier based off fiat standards. One thing struck me the most about f150 is how quickly it cools and the AC barely have to blow after it’s cooled. I’ve heard on one owner’s review on YouTube that he has to have the AC constantly on in order for him to stay comfortable. I mean, we all have different standards. I for one care a lot about AC and headlights. Which is why I’m going for limited or bust. Now I just need to know if the AC is going to work as well as a Ford. If 2021 ford rides as well as a ram I might just go for ford, but then there’s always the headlights to worry about with Ford. Decisions decisions

I've had no complaints with the Rams A/C...I do like the 40 degree vent temps that the Ford had, however I'd much rather be able to get in my truck in the winter months. Ram, Ford, Chevy will all have issues. I will say the handful of times I've been at the Ram dealer, I've never seen a ton of 2019s in for service. On the flip side, when I brought my F150 in for the frozen door latches...15+ on one morning brought them in for the same issue!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One other thing: the video test that TFL now did that shows the Ford with 40s and the Ram with 50s - if anyone paid attention to the video, at the end of the test there was less than 2 degrees difference in the interior temperature of the truck regardless of the vent temperatures. Also, if you notice the Ford interior was black and light grey while the Ram was the Rebel with black and dark red. So I would suspect there is some heat soak. Finally, when they first start the trucks up, about 3 minutes in the Ford is at 86.5 and the Ram is at 94, and yet when one truck finally hits 70 (the Ford), after about 20 minutes, there's less than 2 degrees ambient temperature between them - meaning the Ford lowered the immediate temperature a little faster but by the time you got to the comfort zone there was virtually no difference between the two trucks.

Not that any of that means anything. The guys that want really cold air out of their trucks like what they see on that video or hear from a Ford guy will either have to do a hack or get a different truck. If all you care about is whether or not the truck will cool down to a nice temperature, the answer is yes (even in the video). Also, a bunch of people (I didn't notice) noted that the Ram wasn't on recirculate the whole time in that test.

Last edited:

Jack

Reaction score
One other thing: the video test that TFL now did that shows the Ford with 40s and the Ram with 50s - if anyone paid attention to the video, at the end of the test there was less than 2 degrees difference in the interior temperature of the truck regardless of the vent temperatures. Also, if you notice the Ford interior was black and light grey while the Ram was the Rebel with black and dark red. So I would suspect there is some heat soak. Finally, when they first start the trucks up, about 3 minutes in the Ford is at 86.5 and the Ram is at 94, and yet when one truck finally hits 70 (the Ford), after about 20 minutes, there's less than 2 degrees ambient temperature between them - meaning the Ford lowered the immediate temperature a little faster but by the time you got to the comfort zone there was virtually no difference between the two trucks.

Not that any of that means anything. The guys that want really cold air out of their trucks like what they see on that video or hear from a Ford guy will either have to do a hack or get a different truck. If all you care about is whether or not the truck will cool down to a nice temperature, the answer is yes (even in the video). Also, a bunch of people (I didn't notice) noted that the Ram wasn't on recirculate the whole time in that test.
I wasn’t basing it off the TFL video. There was another guy with a black ram he owns. Having lived in AZ in the summer. I know having AC on full blast and still feel hot in 110 degree heat feels like. At 110 degrees, my VW AC probably blows 60+ degrees air. If ram blows 50 at 90-100 outside temp. What will ram blow at 110+ ? Ford’s AC is as magical as Ram’s Air ride to me.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn’t basing it off the TFL video. There was another guy with a black ram he owns. Having lived in AZ in the summer. I know having AC on full blast and still feel hot in 110 degree heat feels like. At 110 degrees, my VW AC probably blows 60+ degrees air. If ram blows 50 at 90-100 outside temp. What will ram blow at 110+ ? Ford’s AC is as magical as Ram’s Air ride to me.
Then in that case you know you have to buy a Ford, so good luck with your purchase! Every company makes good trucks these days. Fords are stupid overpriced (I buy them for work at fleet prices, otherwise no way) compared to the Ram but they're not bad trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread