5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differential or Transmission Clunk

Ch28

Reaction score
Stealership's are terrible, doubt they even greased it up properly...they are clueless. Good luck and I would make them take pictures of the work next time. Warranty so called work is horrible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Has the problem returned or still good?

Barn

Reaction score
2019 1500 Longhorn 4x4. Its had a clunk in the driveline since new. Dealership said that "thats just how it is". 12k on truck now and its seems to be getting worse. I contacted the dealer again and they said there was no service bulletins or recalls on the truck. I live in Florida and somebody suggested to turn off the Hill start assist option and that actually seemed to help a little bit but it still has a little bit of a clunk. I will advise them of the things I read on this forum about lubricating the slip joint in the driveshaft see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wsmith

Reaction score
I know this an old post, the clunk on startup has not happened on my 2020 Ram. I had a 15 Silverado and found out the clunk on start up was the ABS setting. Just a thought.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 1500 Longhorn 4x4. Its had a clunk in the driveline since new. Dealership said that "thats just how it is". 12k on truck now and its seems to be getting worse. I contacted the dealer again and they said there was no service bulletins or recalls on the truck. I live in Florida and somebody suggested to turn off the Hill start assist option and that actually seemed to help a little bit but it still has a little bit of a clunk. I will advise them of the things I read on this forum about lubricating the slip joint in the driveshaft see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I apologize for the trouble, @Barn. If it would be of interest, I would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer. Please do not hesitate to follow up with any additional questions. Our team is always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Has the problem returned or still good?
Problem returned after 1 week, so annoyed and now just living with the RAM bump on a 55k truck.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

recon15

Reaction score
Check this out. Ive hd the bump for the last 12k miles. Just got my lift installed and no bump in the last 300 miles.

drbobvs

Reaction score
Taking my Longhorn in for the second time for this today. Software update did nothing. For those of you who have air suspension I also noticed these "bumps" occur several times while lowering the vehicle while in park, indicating it NOT a transmission problem, but further down the driveline/suspension train. Will show the dealer some of the threads on here so hopefully "guide them a little better.

RamCares

Reaction score
Taking my Longhorn in for the second time for this today. Software update did nothing. For those of you who have air suspension I also noticed these "bumps" occur several times while lowering the vehicle while in park, indicating it NOT a transmission problem, but further down the driveline/suspension train. Will show the dealer some of the threads on here so hopefully "guide them a little better.

Hi @drbobvs - I would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you address this concern with your dealer. Our team is always a private message away!

Mark
RamCares

recon15

Reaction score
Im about 600 miles post lift and NO CLUNK. I simply dont get it. The last 12K miles or so i've had the issue and now magically its gone. To my knowledge they dont pull the driveshaft when installing a lift so im clueless as to what it could be now.

drbobvs

Reaction score
Im about 600 miles post lift and NO CLUNK. I simply dont get it. The last 12K miles or so i've had the issue and now magically its gone. To my knowledge they dont pull the driveshaft when installing a lift so im clueless as to what it could be now.
Do you have the 6’4” bed??

drbobvs

Reaction score
Well the tech drove with me and confirmed the issue. He remembered my truck and told me they greased they carrier bearing and the hanger mounts last time. He confirmed the issue and ordered a new driveshaft today. Only problem is they said, according to the computer, it likely won’t arrive until October. So my next appointment is Oct 13. At least they’re doing the right thing. I’ll keep everyone posted.

drbobvs

Reaction score
Hi @drbobvs - I would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you address this concern with your dealer. Our team is always a private message away!

Mark
RamCares
Thanks Mark, so far my dealer has been responsive.

Ch28

Reaction score
This is intriguing. Curious how doing a lift would help with the driveshaft. If this is a legit fix, then maybe FCA can comp the lifts for us.

drbobvs

Reaction score
This is intriguing. Curious how doing a lift would help with the driveshaft. If this is a legit fix, then maybe FCA can comp the lifts for us.
I think once the lift is done, the driveshaft Is now at a new resting length (more extended). This now repositions the yoke at a different wear point and/or positions the yoke at a point where there may be slightly more lubricant. If this is the case then my guess is that the clunking will return in due time once that new area dries out/ wears out. Only time will tell.

RamCares

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, so far my dealer has been responsive.

Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated, @drbobvs! If it would be of interest, I would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf at this point to try and get that driveshaft to your dealer as soon as possible. We are always a private message away to get the process started.

Mark
RamCares

drbobvs

Reaction score
Well, got the truck back yesteday after the new rear driveshaft install. Feels like new again! Amazing how a little lack of grease in there can cause such an issue. I hope the supplier, or RAM started recognizing this issue and began stuffing more grease in the slip yoke. Id hate to have this problem again in a year or 2.

itsrname2

Reaction score
@RamCares I am also having this same issue, Dealer said they did not notice it. But I really don't think they took it far because it does it almost every time for me.

Users who are viewing this thread