5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differential or Transmission Clunk

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
The dealer performed this update on my truck prior to my purchase a couple of months ago. When I took it in for service last week they checked all service bulletins and recalls on my truck and there were zero. I told the service advisor that some members on this forum had success with flashing the ECU but he told me that would not work because it would just be a matter of time and the computer would re-learn my driving and the bump would come back. I’m hopeful this is not the case for you. Keep us posted!
It was the case for me. The first few stops were fine, but it came back. Overall shifting improved, especially multi-gear kickdowns, so it was still worth having.

Fidomac

Reaction score
I picked up my Longhorn Tuesday night. So far I have less than 150 miles on it.

Today driving home from work, I started hearing a clunk and can feel a slight jolt when starting and stopping in slow moving traffic (such as creeping your way up to a stop sign, waiting for your turn to go).

I'm disturbed by this and don't know if it will continue doing this until something self-destructs.

The clunk sound appears to be coming from the rear end. Maybe the differential or transmission....

I have a 3.92 gear ratio and a non-etorque engine.

Is this normal?

On another note, I can hear something rolling around inside the dash every time I stop or start moving. Guess the boys at the factory dropped something in there during assembly.

You think the assembly people would take pride in their work!

Any ideas on the clunk noise?
Get it checked......mine had a bad driveshaft

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Those of you with new driveshafts - how long has it been since they replaced it, and has it completely stopped? My driveshaft got replaced as well, and the bump was back 400 miles later.

tcutlip89

Reaction score
My 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie w/ 13k miles is also having the bump between 2nd and 1st gear. For those of you with driveshaft changes, can you guys confirm that this has resolved this issue and it hasn't reoccurred?

Thanks,
Tcutlip89

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ch28

Reaction score
So far mine has been 600 miles and it has not returned. I will say the new drive shaft looks different, has what seems to be a rubber housing over the middle connection. Dont remember that on the previous one. The said mine had rust build up that was causing it to bind up, so maybe they added that to help protect it from the elements.

Reaction score
Hello From Houston, TX

I first took my 2019 Ram 1500 into Helfman CJD to check the driveshaft, all was fine. I then worked with RamCares here on the forum who helped me find TSB 21-002-19 REV. I just got my truck back from Northwest CJD after performing the TSB. I have noticed good improvement, it no longer feel like someone rear ended me when I take off from a street light, wahoo! Now, it's not 100% gone, but it's a noticeable improvement. I am hopeful this helps some of y'all.

Cheers!
SW

Reaction score
Welp. Had to get a tow yesterday. Must be a bug or something in that revision of the TCM firmware. Out of nowhere truck said “service traction control” and told me to pull over and park so I did. Then the truck would not let me shift into any gears. I had to get towed to NW CJD here in Houston. 12k miles. This is ridiculous. I put 100k on my 2012 & that thing was perfect. I now feel silly for trading my 12’ in... I’ll keep everyone posted.

Reaction score
Dealer called me today and told me the valve body was faulty and they had to replace it. Mechanic replaced it with a new one off the shelf and guess what, that one was also faulty. They had to order another one from Chrysler and it will take a week to get. Error code was P1364 from what I advisor told me. I’ll continue to keep this thread updated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
So shortly after they installed the new valve body I started having the “clunk” issue again when I take off. I’m thinking that they didn’t perform the last TSB when they replaced the valve body. It was virtually gone when they performed the TSB and now its back. Guess I’ll have to take it back to dealer.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So shortly after they installed the new valve body I started having the “clunk” issue again when I take off. I’m thinking that they didn’t perform the last TSB when they replaced the valve body. It was virtually gone when they performed the TSB and now its back. Guess I’ll have to take it back to dealer.

I regret to hear this update, night_train_ram. Please know that we are just a private message away and happy to escalate a new case on your behalf for the extra layer of support while in service.

Mark
RamCares

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up my Longhorn Tuesday night. So far I have less than 150 miles on it.

Today driving home from work, I started hearing a clunk and can feel a slight jolt when starting and stopping in slow moving traffic (such as creeping your way up to a stop sign, waiting for your turn to go).

I'm disturbed by this and don't know if it will continue doing this until something self-destructs.

The clunk sound appears to be coming from the rear end. Maybe the differential or transmission....

I have a 3.92 gear ratio and a non-etorque engine.

Is this normal?

On another note, I can hear something rolling around inside the dash every time I stop or start moving. Guess the boys at the factory dropped something in there during assembly.

You think the assembly people would take pride in their work!

Any ideas on the clunk noise?
Tranny?

Gabrielsf31

Reaction score
Hi im on the same boat as you. I have been back and forth with my dealer for over 8 months now. My dealer has been super shady since day one . I tell them the issue occurs in stop and go traffic or going into and out of 1st gear. Yet they road test it on the highway in the middle of the day. So I rush over to show them how to probably test and all of a sudden are able to replicate the issue and then suggested either a flash or reboot. They even replaced the valve body and then they finally replaced the transmission. After all of this I still feel the bumping during traffic hours. I opened my second case , the case manager asked me to take it in one more time. The tech refused to test drive the car because he said that he didn’t have time to simulate the stop and go of traffic. After further Convening he jumped in the car with me . after the third or four stop he felt the bumping of the transmission . We arrived back to the dealer and he suggested to replace the electronic shifter . Then he disappeared into the back office, after waiting for over 15mins the manager appears and says that the tech told her that the car was running fine . At this point I was about to blow a gasket. She suggested to make a follow up appointment so that the tech could do another test drive to replicate the issue. I told her the tech is lying and that he was able to replicate the issue with me in the car. she Pretty much then called me a liar and I walked out. Little does the tech and the manager know that I have a dash cam on the car that recorded the whole situation . I told my case manager of the situation and I’m still waiting to hear back from them.

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Great customer service, F'n pathetic! Do a search on this thread for slip yoke issues, I'm having same issue.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Just as an update, my dealer still has my truck as of Wednesday (03/11). They acknowledge the issue, and still agree it isn't normal (like the previous 2 times). I also enlisted RamCares, who was very responsive and set up a case number for me. A case officer from FCA called me within hours of that, so I am so far quite impressed with the level of effort being put into this. Hopefully between my dealer, who is consulting with STAR, and the public outreach folks at FCA - they get this resolved, and are able to fix my truck along with everyone else's with this same issue.

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Guess what we took out this evening everyone? Gave up on the Stealership (useless) even thinking they could solve this mystery....well, my Son-in-law (Matt) is a Stud and we found the source of the clunk in my 2019 1500 Laramie with only 15k miles. Lack there of grease in this weird area of the drive shaft, hidden underneath that dust cover you see in the photo. Happy to explain in better details for anyone having these same symptoms on your new Ram trucks. Mystery solved.

-Tim
aa7628c129941a5827fe23bcab6e6b02.jpg

popcenator

Reaction score
Guess what we took out this evening everyone? Gave up on the Stealership (useless) even thinking they could solve this mystery....well, my Son-in-law (Matt) is a Stud and we found the source of the clunk in my 2019 1500 Laramie with only 15k miles. Lack there of grease in this weird area of the drive shaft, hidden underneath that dust cover you see in the photo. Happy to explain in better details for anyone having these same symptoms on your new Ram trucks. Mystery solved.

-Tim
aa7628c129941a5827fe23bcab6e6b02.jpg

Please explain more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Just as an update, my dealer still has my truck as of Wednesday (03/11). They acknowledge the issue, and still agree it isn't normal (like the previous 2 times). I also enlisted RamCares, who was very responsive and set up a case number for me. A case officer from FCA called me within hours of that, so I am so far quite impressed with the level of effort being put into this. Hopefully between my dealer, who is consulting with STAR, and the public outreach folks at FCA - they get this resolved, and are able to fix my truck along with everyone else's with this same issue.
They need to remove the drive shaft, take one of the clamps off the dust cover closest to the rear. Slide the rear shaft out apply grease in the weird long extended slip yoke. Mine is smooth as butter now. I posted a pic earlier of the drive shaft and what the dust cover sleeve looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread