5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear people who keep their tow mirrors extended when not towing…

Kcfan491

Reaction score
You got a post for a some random thread made about mirrors? :unsure: Guess I am just curious with as little involvement in this community as you have had, why you are choosing this hill. You're first post was sufficient.

I don’t feel like I am choosing this hill. I feel like me and anybody else who runs there mirrors out were called out so a response is justified.

Here is what I don’t understand

Normal comment: I like my grass cut short
Karen comment: everybody needs to cut their grass short

Normal content: I run my mirrors flipped in
Karen comment: everybody needs to run their mirrors flipped in

I get annoyed when somebody wants to dictate what everybody else does

My mirrors stick out 3.75 inches further when they are flipped up. I don’t think that is affecting anybody else

I have seen this comment before in Facebook groups where I spend more time and I had been thinking about talking about it in a video. I post YouTube videos every single day so recording this short is as natural as breathing to me

As far as me responding quickly when I normally don’t post, the Tapatalk app notifies me of a post every once in a while. Seems random and I generally disregard but this one caught my eye

One response would have been sufficient. I thought my short was humorous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go sit on the couch …. The adults are talking

Bahahaha....I was agreeing with you but ok old man. Sipping on grandpa's ole cough medicine are ya?

Last edited:

wsutard1

Reaction score
I would describe someone who switches their mirrors back-and-forth all the time as stupid so I guess it’s up for debate

Rocking that Ghost Trailer

Dude, respect to you for putting it out there like that. You tow 3 times a week, so this post wasn’t about you. I can see why, if you are towing that much, that you wouldn’t put them up and down all the time. Fair. Lazy, but fair.

I will jump into one thing you said though, better visibility. I don’t buy it. You mirrors work just fine either way.
But again, this post wasn’t about you since you tow all the time. You get a pass. I also think you probably don’t fall into the category below. Maybe you do, I don’t know.

Why did I post this? 3 times in 4 days, here comes a truck with their tow mirrors extended out without towing. Guess what? Each one of them had their tow mirrors extended over into the oncoming lane. Not cool. Last one I had to dodge the mirror because some other idiot to the left of me was doing stupid **** so I didn’t see the massive mirror sitting in my lane.

Anyway, it’s a safety thing for oncoming vehicles. Just don’t be that person.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep. You're not increasing visibility because you're not increasing the size of the mirror, you're just moving them further away from the truck. All that does is allow you to see around a wider object.

Those tall mirrors actually do more to block forward visibility than they help if you're not towing.

dano66

Reaction score
Really! Who cares what one does with THEIR truck. I don't understand how someone can be bothered by how another person uses their mirrors on their truck...

Ridiculous.................

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Really! Who cares what one does with THEIR truck. I don't understand how someone can be bothered by how another person uses their mirrors on their truck...

Ridiculous.................
I think everyone against has expressed that the concern is that people with mirrors extended out for no apparent reason are quite careless of other drivers and tend to have the Dumbo ears hanging out in the other lane on narrow roads.

That sentiment was hard to miss reading the tread.

By your logic, I should be able to drive my truck down the center of the road running all others in the ditch. After all, it's my truck, I should be able to take my half of the road from the middle. You can take your half from the other two sides. I am doing what I want with my truck.

Really! How inconsiderate to tell me otherwise. Ridiculous!

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think everyone against has expressed that the concern is that people with mirrors extended out for no apparent reason are quite careless of other drivers and tend to have the Dumbo ears hanging out in the other lane on narrow roads.

By your logic, I should be able to drive my truck down the center of the road running all others in the ditch. After all, it's my truck, I should be able to take my half of the road from the middle. You can take your half from the other two sides. I am doing what I want with my truck.

Exactly …. Well explained …. Hard to imagine people missed that above ….. But boomer isn’t gonna have anybody tell him what he can or can’t do …. But they would be the first to go bat sh!t crazy when Dumbo clips his mirror on a narrow 2-lane

Kcfan491

Reaction score

The mirrors stick out an extra 3.75 inches on my truck

Some kind of a mental block is turning that into the bogeyman in peoples mind

Kcfan491

Reaction score
Dude, respect to you for putting it out there like that. You tow 3 times a week, so this post wasn’t about you. I can see why, if you are towing that much, that you wouldn’t put them up and down all the time. Fair. Lazy, but fair.

I will jump into one thing you said though, better visibility. I don’t buy it. You mirrors work just fine either way.
But again, this post wasn’t about you since you tow all the time. You get a pass. I also think you probably don’t fall into the category below. Maybe you do, I don’t know.

Why did I post this? 3 times in 4 days, here comes a truck with their tow mirrors extended out without towing. Guess what? Each one of them had their tow mirrors extended over into the oncoming lane. Not cool. Last one I had to dodge the mirror because some other idiot to the left of me was doing stupid **** so I didn’t see the massive mirror sitting in my lane.

Anyway, it’s a safety thing for oncoming vehicles. Just don’t be that person.

They stick out less than 4 inches

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Having the mirrors flipped up pobably isn't the reason those jackasses are hugging the center line or crossing over it. They are just jackasses that would probably drive the same whether the mirrors are flipped up or not. As pointed out by KCfan, the extra width from them sticking out shouldn't be enough to cause someone to drive any closer to the center line than they normally would. I grew up in rural America driving narrow two lane roads and gravel roads. At not point was there ever a road sign so close to the side of the road that one needs to move further to the left in their lane.

dano66

Reaction score

Who said anything about the way people drive. I thought we were talking about how one's mirrors are on the truck, not by how one drives their truck. If a person drives in a dangerous manner then that is a different thread entirely. Mountain Whiskey I would advise not to drive in the center of the road, it could be hazardous to your health. hahahahah

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Half the people on the road dont even stay in their lane. I’m sure I’ll lose my drivers side mirror one day.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Who said anything about the way people drive. I thought we were talking about how one's mirrors are on the truck, not by how one drives their truck. If a person drives in a dangerous manner then that is a different thread entirely. Mountain Whiskey I would advise not to drive in the center of the road, it could be hazardous to your health. hahahahah
Well since you asked without reading, these people all said it had to do with the inability to drive with extended mirrors (in addition to it looking as stupid as a Carolina Squat truck):

@Mountain Whiskey in post #6
@BowersFJ In post #16 (by the way Bowers, not sure why you knock on guys sharing your same sentiment😉)
@jmt8706 In post #25
@Jeffjad In post #28
@wsutard1 In post #44

@Idahoktm Had the knowledge to point out that extending mirrors does not give a better view of anything when driving without something wide in tow. It only changes the angle.

@HSKR R/T pointed out that as others noted the mirrors don't stick out much, it's just a combination of lacking common sense and driving ability that force guys with Dumbo ears (my embellishment, not his words) to drive over the center of the road.

There, does that sum things up for you?

dano66

Reaction score
Well since you asked without reading, these people all said it had to do with the inability to drive with extended mirrors (in addition to it looking as stupid as a Carolina Squat truck):

@Mountain Whiskey in post #6
@BowersFJ In post #16 (by the way Bowers, not sure why you knock on guys sharing your same sentiment😉)
@jmt8706 In post #25
@Jeffjad In post #28
@wsutard1 In post #44

@Idahoktm Had the knowledge to point out that extending mirrors does not give a better view of anything when driving without something wide in tow. It only changes the angle.

@HSKR R/T pointed out that as others noted the mirrors don't stick out much, it's just a combination of lacking common sense and driving ability that force guys with Dumbo ears (my embellishment, not his words) to drive over the center of the road.

There, does that sum things up for you?
I am talking about your post . Does that sum it for you!?

Users who are viewing this thread