5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

nemecham

Reaction score
Here is stock without the fitcamx
5dc742f007431114bdccc894fa423fc5.jpg

And with…
6ec2c175589dbd6c15508fd37d2e0b0a.jpg

60a0cc9e5f94c3fd0cf99fad7947725c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is stock without the fitcamx
5dc742f007431114bdccc894fa423fc5.jpg

And with…
6ec2c175589dbd6c15508fd37d2e0b0a.jpg

60a0cc9e5f94c3fd0cf99fad7947725c.jpg

The mount won't work with that. The comma works as a dashcam so I don't see a reason for another one. I think you will find issues with the two working together unless you move the FitcamX someplace else.

nemecham

Reaction score
That’s fine. I’d probably just remove the fitcamx as it is a whole replacement for the stock bezel. I read that the C3 acts as a dash cam, but doesn’t record audio. Is that true? I’ll send you a PM for the mount.

vincentw56

Reaction score
That’s fine. I’d probably just remove the fitcamx as it is a whole replacement for the stock bezel. I read that the C3 acts as a dash cam, but doesn’t record audio. Is that true? I’ll send you a PM for the mount.

That is true. It doesn't record audio, just video. There are other limitations too. It doesn't overlay speed or GPS. That has been requested though. Not sure when or if it will be integrated.

nemecham

Reaction score
Either way, this will be a step up from what I already have . :)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is true. It doesn't record audio, just video. There are other limitations too. It doesn't overlay speed or GPS. That has been requested though. Not sure when or if it will be integrated.
Tons of time mine just fails to record footage too. I don't trust my Comma3 to work during an accident.
Support also will not fix it after 8 months of emails.
On paper it should be more reliable then the Fitcam but in practice not so much.

With comma prime you can get side by side gps and video, which is similar to my older dash cam, but again the Comma 3 doesn't provide gps data for 80% of my trips and Comma support said that is normal for gps to not connect for the first 45 minutes of a trip (eyeroll).

The comma is a garbage product in a locked ecosystem only kept alive by 3rd party developers with 0 support including hardware problems.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Tons of time mine just fails to record footage too. I don't trust my Comma3 to work during an accident.
Support also will not fix it after 8 months of emails.
On paper it should be more reliable then the Fitcam but in practice not so much.

With comma prime you can get side by side gps and video, which is similar to my older dash cam, but again the Comma 3 doesn't provide gps data for 80% of my trips and Comma support said that is normal for gps to not connect for the first 45 minutes of a trip (eyeroll).

The comma is a garbage product in a locked ecosystem only kept alive by 3rd party developers with 0 support including hardware problems.
Garbage product? Mine works great and always has. As do many, many others. Sure, there are some minor issues, but you seem to be the exception. Of course, I'm only going by what I see on all 3 Discord servers.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Garbage product? Mine works great and always has. As do many, many others. Sure, there are some minor issues, but you seem to be the exception. Of course, I'm only going by what I see on all 3 Discord servers.
I might be the exception but after months of back and forth Comma will not stand behind their product or offer any assistance. I have had hardware problems within 2 months of buying it.
To this day I still don't have working gps, and half the time trips don't save with no error message and Comma has refused to do any more troubleshooting as it's "working as intended". Never heard of needing to wait a half out for a gps to connect, complete bogus.

And for troubleshooting they make us run "stock open pilot" which means I cant even use the product as stock can't even take my truck down a flat straight road. Despite running it for months and providing logs still at square 1 with a broken defective device "repaired" twice

I even contacted my credit card company last year and they said there was nothing they could do to push them to take any action as they said the hardware warranty was not it's own line item as it appears to be sold with no warranty (which is not true). That along with the fact I didn't do a claim in the first 2 monhs when I had problems but months after when Comma refuses to fix the unit. Comma should of sent me a refub unit after the second failed repair attempt but they did not.
Also you can't even call Comma as they don't have a phone number so it's all emails which they take weeks/months to respond and tell you to go screw anyways.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
M Comma 3 stopped working soon after I purchased it and would not turn on and they replaced it with a new one.

I went through 3 Garmin NUVI GPS units that would stop receiving the Satellite signals. Turns out
a chip switched failed and would only connect an external antenna instead of the internal one. There
was a fix online that once you changed the chip with a new one, a 1K Ohm resistor to ground stopped the
chip from failing again.

Malodave

nemecham

Reaction score
I just got had my Comma3x delivered/installed today and went through the setup. For whatever reason, I cannot figure out how to get the unit to engage. I enable and set ACC, but the unit never kicks in. I have tried to find info on how to start my first drive online, but am only able to find installation instructions and drive reviews - nothing about initiating the first drive. Looking for any sort of helpful tips to get started. I have already paired the device with my phone and set my home address within the webpage. This is the only screen I can see on the Comma3x device, in addition to the settings.

Attachments

• Comma3x.png
    Comma3x.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 13

grimloktt

Reaction score
I just got had my Comma3x delivered/installed today and went through the setup. For whatever reason, I cannot figure out how to get the unit to engage. I enable and set ACC, but the unit never kicks in. I have tried to find info on how to start my first drive online, but am only able to find installation instructions and drive reviews - nothing about initiating the first drive. Looking for any sort of helpful tips to get started. I have already paired the device with my phone and set my home address within the webpage. This is the only screen I can see on the Comma3x device, in addition to the settings.
R u going over 32 mph?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score
More information on your truck would help, year and model. So, the Comma doesn't show video of the road from its front camera? You can get faster help from the Ram OpenPilot discord server. Join the Ram OpenPilot Community Discord Server!

grimloktt

Reaction score
Yes, I had cruise set for 35mph for a brief 10 - 15 seconds or so. The unit never changed from the screen in the picture.
Hmmm. Should've turned to screen showing the road. Suggest unplugging the OBD for a few minutes then plug back in for a good hard reset

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hmmm. Should've turned to screen showing the road. Suggest unplugging the OBD for a few minutes then plug back in for a good hard reset

And that screen comes up before you even start driving.

nemecham

Reaction score
More information on your truck would help, year and model. So, the Comma doesn't show video of the road from its front camera? You can get faster help from the Ram OpenPilot discord server. Join the Ram OpenPilot Community Discord Server!
Heh, sorry. It's a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited with eTorque. And you are correct. I never see video of the road from it's front camera.
Thanks for the link. I'll join the server soon.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I tried both experimental and Chill mode, but good to know.
Do a reset and try the install again. You should see video from the comma's front canara. It's not initializing the camera. Could be a bad install.

Users who are viewing this thread