5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

grimloktt

Reaction score
Should I choose a different vehicle in Sunnypilot and use the non-adaptive cruise control in order to use these experimental features?
821994822c4319db6d1d11f867e05dc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Should I choose a different vehicle in Sunnypilot and use the non-adaptive cruise control in order to use these experimental features?

I'm all about giving people help but this is not the right place for these questions.
Can join this one and ask questions here

Sunny Pilot also has it's own discord for support and questions too Join the Sunnyhaibin's Openpilot Server Discord Server!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You can't use experimental features on the Ram yet. I'm still working on the longitudinal controls.

grimloktt

Reaction score
You can't use experimental features on the Ram yet. I'm still working on the longitudinal controls.
Thank you. I didn't know if it was as a result of the truck having the adaptive cruise control built into it. I know with my model, I also have the option to use a non-adaptive cruise control. So, I thought that might work. I guess I'll just hang tight.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thank you. I didn't know if it was as a result of the truck having the adaptive cruise control built into it. I know with my model, I also have the option to use a non-adaptive cruise control. So, I thought that might work. I guess I'll just hang tight.

The comma doesn't have the ability right now to control the gas and brake. Not from stock anyway. We have it sort of working but there's some tweaks that still need to be done. And I need to upgrade it to the latest release of commas software.

grimloktt

Reaction score
The comma doesn't have the ability right now to control the gas and brake. Not from stock anyway. We have it sort of working but there's some tweaks that still need to be done. And I need to upgrade it to the latest release of commas software.
Gotcha. Any idea when this feature will be available? Thank you for everything you do. I see you're very active here and on discord.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Gotcha. Any idea when this feature will be available? Thank you for everything you do. I see you're very active here and on discord.

Not sure. I got word that comma themselves maybe working on it.

joebruin

Reaction score
I am a brand new owner of a Ram 1500 Limited this week. I have used my C2 on my Honda Pilot for a couple of years and after reading through this discussion I have a couple of questions.

1) Would it be possible or advisable to use my C2 on new Ram? Would it run as it does on my Honda or do I need a C3 for newer software versions to be able to steer under 32 mph?

2) Is there a better place to buy a wire kit. It seemed like Malodave and others were selling them a while ago, but I haven't seen many offers since Comma is selling their version of it now. I will buy a mount from Malodave for sure once I decide between C2 or C3.

3) How do I get on the Ram discord server? It seems like invites do not last long.

Thank you, I have really enjoyed all the discussion on this board.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
I am a brand new owner of a Ram 1500 Limited this week. I have used my C2 on my Honda Pilot for a couple of years and after reading through this discussion I have a couple of questions.

1) Would it be possible or advisable to use my C2 on new Ram? Would it run as it does on my Honda or do I need a C3 for newer software versions to be able to steer under 32 mph?

2) Is there a better place to buy a wire kit. It seemed like Malodave and others were selling them a while ago, but I haven't seen many offers since Comma is selling their version of it now. I will buy a mount from Malodave for sure once I decide between C2 or C3.

3) How do I get on the Ram discord server? It seems like invites do not last long.

You can use your C2 on the Ram there are several people who still use them. A C3 will be better as it's better supported. But we do have a build that will work for the C2 and also allow a steer to zero. Your best bet is to hop on the Discord server and talk about it there.

joebruin

Reaction score
Thank you for the invite, I am there browsing around right now. What would be the best build to give the C2 a try?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thank you for the invite, I am there browsing around right now. What would be the best build to give the C2 a try?
There's only one build that you can use with the C2 and a Ram. All the links are located in the installation channel pinned section.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have a '21 Limited and have been using a C2 for a while now. Over a year? It steers to 0.

A buddy got a '23 Limited and a C3. His works better than mine. But, not better enough to get me off my C2...

The wiring from malodave is not the full wiring harness kit. It is just a portion of the kit that is specific to the RAM. If you are moving a wiring harness from a Pilot to the RAM, then I think all you need is the wiring piece from Dave. If you buy a whole wiring harness kit for the RAM, then it will already have the same part Dave was making.

daveomatic

Reaction score
Could someone post or dm me an invite to the Ram specific discord? All the link I have found are showing expired. Thanks

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a '21 Limited and have been using a C2 for a while now. Over a year? It steers to 0.

A buddy got a '23 Limited and a C3. His works better than mine. But, not better enough to get me off my C2...

The wiring from malodave is not the full wiring harness kit. It is just a portion of the kit that is specific to the RAM. If you are moving a wiring harness from a Pilot to the RAM, then I think all you need is the wiring piece from Dave. If you buy a whole wiring harness kit for the RAM, then it will already have the same part Dave was making.

I posted this on Monday and today my C2 finally died.... :( It is still working, but the screen is dead.

I guess that's okay. It can still drive me around while I wait on the C3x I just ordered to arrive....

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The harness parts I have are now going to Castle Hill for the HD steer to Zero.

I still have crimp pins and maybe the white connector, dupont connector and the 3D print of the Truck connector.
I can get that ready for you but you would need to buy the DASM connector from Mouser or Digikey. Then
put the wired crimps into that connector your self. I can throw that into the package if you want to buy a mount too.

Malodave

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted this on Monday and today my C2 finally died.... :( It is still working, but the screen is dead.

I guess that's okay. It can still drive me around while I wait on the C3x I just ordered to arrive....

I unplugged my C2 yesterday afternoon when the screen was dead. I went out a few hours later and plugged it back in and it fired right up! The screen is back to working. I guess time will tell if it was a "software" black screen or I have an intermittent issue with the hardware.

dh66

Reaction score
I own a 2021 Ram 1500 BigHorn. I do NOT have any of the ASG features.

I've read thru this thread as well as the @tbd0021 How-To thread on installing ACC and all the other ASG features.

Adding ASG isn't too $ except for the windshield. I can do everything else myself and parts aren't too expensive. I already have AlfaOBD from adding TTPMS to my truck.

My question is - does the Comma over-ride the camera in the DASM?

I'm wondering with Comma if I could install all the equipment - including the DASM - but not replace the windshield. Just tuck the DASM behind the rearview mirror housing - or maybe crudely mount it. I realize I wouldn't be able to use factory ACC b/c the camera would likely never calibrate - but would Comma by chance work? I'd rather put that $ into Comma instead of a new windshield for an overall improved driving experience.

Joining the Discord also....

Thanks!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I own a 2021 Ram 1500 BigHorn. I do NOT have any of the ASG features.

I've read thru this thread as well as the @tbd0021 How-To thread on installing ACC and all the other ASG features.

Adding ASG isn't too $ except for the windshield. I can do everything else myself and parts aren't too expensive. I already have AlfaOBD from adding TTPMS to my truck.

My question is - does the Comma over-ride the camera in the DASM?

I'm wondering with Comma if I could install all the equipment - including the DASM - but not replace the windshield. Just tuck the DASM behind the rearview mirror housing - or maybe crudely mount it. I realize I wouldn't be able to use factory ACC b/c the camera would likely never calibrate - but would Comma by chance work? I'd rather put that $ into Comma instead of a new windshield for an overall improved driving experience.

Joining the Discord also....

Thanks!

The Comma in a RAM relies on the factory ACC to control the speed. The Comma does not control the truck's speed. The Comma only steers. So, you need to make ACC work before you bother installing a Comma.

Users who are viewing this thread