5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My buddy bought a '23 Limited 1500 Hemi/eTorque last week. He received his Comma 3 on Friday. I received the mount from @Malodave on Saturday (while I was out of town for the weekend). So, today I installed the Comma 3 in my buddy's truck for him.

We set his C3 up on the normal release of OP from Comma.

We started driving around and it displayed a message about Unable to get GPS position, or something like that. Under that it said something like "if your device has a clear view of the sky, you may have a hardware failure."

This dialog would display and not go away and it took up about 1/3 of the screen, making it very difficult to actually use OP.

Is this something that is normal, as a result of installing the C3 using malodave's mount, right below all those electronics behind the mirror, instead of gluing it directly to the windshield? The C3 is hanging down right behind the mirror, from the mount that attaches to the underside of the big plastic housing around the rearview mirror stalk.

We're wondering if my buddy received a defective unit and needs to do an exchange with Comma.

After a test drive to verify that everything else worked, but that GPS message not going away, we uninstalled OP and installed the SunnyPilot release fork for C3. We did another test drive and no GPS message. SunnyPilot seemed to work well.

The original OP would not steer the truck below 32 MPH, at all. SunnyPilot seemed to do steer-to-zero just fine. I was surprised that OEM OP would not steer below 32 - and I mean, at all. Even after driving above 32 and then slowing back down, it still would not steer.

Is SunnyPilot the best fork for running on a '23 RAM 1500, or is there a RealFast or other fork that would be better?

@Malodave apologies for sending you basically the same questions in PM and then posting here as well.
SunnyPilot is the best fork to run. If you want a more vanilla release, you can run Realfast both are the same for the Ram. SP just has more features. This forum isn't where to get support for it. Discord is where you can and will get the best support.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You can get quicker responses in the Discord for future reference people seem to live on that thing.
The software is very differnet between the differnet builds\forks.
Stock OP is basically useless with these trucks it seems.

I was on Sunnypilot at first and it was terrible so I went to Realfast. Now Sunnypilot works better for me.
I have never seen a GPS message, that sounds like either a fluke or the bad software (my bet is on the software)

For sunnypilot you want to be using this build fork installer generator
For Realfast which is like stock OP, but with the Ram adjustments like more torque and stuffs use fork installer generator

With any build you need to engage OP above 32 mph, then you can use it at whatever. Speed up to 33, tag it, then you can engage it whenever you want. Some trucks only "steer to 7" and others to 0, this just means that from 1-6mph your truck will just go straight and not turn, not a very common thing unless you are in traffic taking turns and using it to drive for you.

If you don't want to tinker and just want it to work good enough I would do RamRelease (the second link)
If you are okay with tinkering and have no idea what bugs are normal and what is not normal then SunnyPilot Release-C3.
This is the dev build for Sunnypilot which is "newer" then the first link which is considered the stable version fork installer generator I wouldn't recommend it and I don't think there is anything special in there for Ram trucks yet.

Hope this helps.
We only "live" on the Discord because that is where we support OpenPilot.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can get quicker responses in the Discord for future reference people seem to live on that thing.
The software is very differnet between the differnet builds\forks.
Stock OP is basically useless with these trucks it seems.

I was on Sunnypilot at first and it was terrible so I went to Realfast. Now Sunnypilot works better for me.
I have never seen a GPS message, that sounds like either a fluke or the bad software (my bet is on the software)

For sunnypilot you want to be using this build fork installer generator
For Realfast which is like stock OP, but with the Ram adjustments like more torque and stuffs use fork installer generator

With any build you need to engage OP above 32 mph, then you can use it at whatever. Speed up to 33, tag it, then you can engage it whenever you want. Some trucks only "steer to 7" and others to 0, this just means that from 1-6mph your truck will just go straight and not turn, not a very common thing unless you are in traffic taking turns and using it to drive for you.

If you don't want to tinker and just want it to work good enough I would do RamRelease (the second link)
If you are okay with tinkering and have no idea what bugs are normal and what is not normal then SunnyPilot Release-C3.
This is the dev build for Sunnypilot which is "newer" then the first link which is considered the stable version fork installer generator I wouldn't recommend it and I don't think there is anything special in there for Ram trucks yet.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

My buddy is running the SunnyPilot Release-C3 fork for the moment. I notice your link says "SunnyHaiban" in the URL where the link I used said "SunnyPilot" in the URL. I'm guessing either they are the same, or your link is a typo?

After we installed SunnyPilot Release-C3, we took the truck for a test drive. At some curves, he got the message about taking the wheel because the turn was too tight. I was expecting that to be fixed by now (compared to the Comma 2 I have in my truck). Does the RealFast fork ("more torque and stuffs") fix that?

SunnyPilot is the best fork to run. If you want a more vanilla release, you can run Realfast both are the same for the Ram. SP just has more features. This forum isn't where to get support for it. Discord is where you can and will get the best support.

I'm a member of the Discord. But, I haven't visited in a while. Discord is horrible at keeping historical information organized and easy to find. Discord is like being at a big dinner table full of people. I'm trying to have a conversation with someone. But, there are two people seated in between us. One of those people is talking to someone across the table about something completely different, and the other is talking to the person sitting behind me, about yet a third topic. And if someone arrives late, they have no practical chance of knowing what I discussed with someone else at the table an hour earlier.

A discussion board (like this one) with subforums and threads that can be searched is SO much better for supporting something like OpenPilot. I find Discord to only really be useful for someone who can be on it pretty much continuously, constantly monitoring the conversations and always pretty much knowing what's going on.

So, like I asked above, is there any fork that is better (than SunnyPilot Release-C3) for not getting the messages about excessive turning force required or whatever it is that tells you to take the wheel just to make it around a relatively gentle curve?

SunnyPilot is working pretty well for my buddy. It steers to zero, which he immediately really appreciated after one short test drive with OEM OP, which wouldn't steer at all below 32 MPH. But, if he can have S20 AND more torque for going curves without all the beeping and steering wheel grabbing that he's got now, it would be worth the trouble for him to install it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks.

My buddy is running the SunnyPilot Release-C3 fork for the moment. I notice your link says "SunnyHaiban" in the URL where the link I used said "SunnyPilot" in the URL. I'm guessing either they are the same, or your link is a typo?

After we installed SunnyPilot Release-C3, we took the truck for a test drive. At some curves, he got the message about taking the wheel because the turn was too tight. I was expecting that to be fixed by now (compared to the Comma 2 I have in my truck). Does the RealFast fork ("more torque and stuffs") fix that?

I'm a member of the Discord. But, I haven't visited in a while. Discord is horrible at keeping historical information organized and easy to find. Discord is like being at a big dinner table full of people. I'm trying to have a conversation with someone. But, there are two people seated in between us. One of those people is talking to someone across the table about something completely different, and the other is talking to the person sitting behind me, about yet a third topic. And if someone arrives late, they have no practical chance of knowing what I discussed with someone else at the table an hour earlier.

A discussion board (like this one) with subforums and threads that can be searched is SO much better for supporting something like OpenPilot. I find Discord to only really be useful for someone who can be on it pretty much continuously, constantly monitoring the conversations and always pretty much knowing what's going on.

So, like I asked above, is there any fork that is better (than SunnyPilot Release-C3) for not getting the messages about excessive turning force required or whatever it is that tells you to take the wheel just to make it around a relatively gentle curve?

SunnyPilot is working pretty well for my buddy. It steers to zero, which he immediately really appreciated after one short test drive with OEM OP, which wouldn't steer at all below 32 MPH. But, if he can have S20 AND more torque for going curves without all the beeping and steering wheel grabbing that he's got now, it would be worth the trouble for him to install it.
I can't stand Discord either, but the "Ram OpenPilot community" is very clean and they do respond quick especially for quick easy questions like some of these.

Sunnyhaibin is the developer of the fork sunnypilot which has a branch of release-c3
Fork is the main kind of software and branches are differnet versions of that fork. Release-c3 is the "stable branch" and dev-c3 is the "developer branch" for example. Both are technially Sunnypilot despite being differnet.

He also has a Discord of Sunnyhaibin's Openpilot Server which has a ton of stuff all over the place. Anything that is about his "fork" would really need to go there unless someone else knows.

The steering is not great on Ram, something about firmware in our trucks (not Comma) locks how much torque it can apply to the wheel and people are trying to change it or whatever to make it better, you can make slight adjustments with the turning but there are hard limits in place so hard turns it will NOT take.
Sunnypilot has the strongest turns and adjustments you can make, suspension and wheel\tire size also affects how it preforms, I needed to make some changes in SP for it to be workable with my OEM 22s"

Realfast (fork) is the same as "stock openpilot" (fork) which has improved torque and fixes that the stock version doesn't have. Essentially if you have a Ram you would never go back to stock and at a minimum goes to a Realfast branch.

Your truck looks kind of like mine. Do you have the OEM 22s 285/45/R22?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't stand Discord either, but the "Ram OpenPilot community" is very clean and they do respond quick especially for quick easy questions like some of these.

Sunnyhaibin is the developer of the fork sunnypilot which has a branch of release-c3
Fork is the main kind of software and branches are differnet versions of that fork. Release-c3 is the "stable branch" and dev-c3 is the "developer branch" for example. Both are technially Sunnypilot despite being differnet.

He also has a Discord of Sunnyhaibin's Openpilot Server which has a ton of stuff all over the place. Anything that is about his "fork" would really need to go there unless someone else knows.

The steering is not great on Ram, something about firmware in our trucks (not Comma) locks how much torque it can apply to the wheel and people are trying to change it or whatever to make it better, you can make slight adjustments with the turning but there are hard limits in place so hard turns it will NOT take.
Sunnypilot has the strongest turns and adjustments you can make, suspension and wheel\tire size also affects how it preforms, I needed to make some changes in SP for it to be workable with my OEM 22s"

Realfast (fork) is the same as "stock openpilot" (fork) which has improved torque and fixes that the stock version doesn't have. Essentially if you have a Ram you would never go back to stock and at a minimum goes to a Realfast branch.

Your truck looks kind of like mine. Do you have the OEM 22s 285/45/R22?

I am solid on git, github, and what developers and their forks are. I am a software developer for a living, and I have been running a RealFast fork on my C2 for about a year now.

But, I have not been paying much attention to any of it since I got mine all setup and working. I have a C2. Nothing new is happening for the C2, so no reason for me to pay attention to the latest developments until such time as my C2 dies.

I really just want to figure out the current "best" fork to get my buddy on, as he is new to RAMs, new to OpenPilot, he has a brand new C3, and, as he would say, he is "not a technology". lol!

My buddy has a brand new '23 1500 Limited, so he does have the stock 22" wheels and stock tires. His truck seemed to drive itself (via OP/SP Release-C3) as well or better than my truck does with my C2.

My truck is a '21 1500 Limited. I have aftermarket 20" wheels with slightly bigger than stock tires. I think stock were 32" and mine are 33". Or whatever the numbers are. My tires are (IIRC) 1" bigger than the stock tires.

But, when I first got my C2, I still had the stock 22" wheels and stock tires on the truck. I never had to do anything special (based on the wheels/tires) to make the C2 work.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks.

I get you don't mind Discord, but if you want quick and accurate answers about OP, that's the place to go.

You will not find any fork better at fixing the lack of torque our trucks have.

I've answered these questions like 100s of times on there and you can use search on there too find the info. Or read my FAQ on there in the pinned section about this too. Lots more info on there than this one little thread.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get you don't mind Discord, but if you want quick and accurate answers about OP, that's the place to go.

You will not find any fork better at fixing the lack of torque our trucks have.

I've answered these questions like 100s of times on there and you can use search on there too find the info. Or read my FAQ on there in the pinned section about this too. Lots more info on there than this one little thread.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

The answers here are quick and accurate enough for my needs. :) And a lot easier to find again later, should I need to.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

The answers here are quick and accurate enough for my needs. :) And a lot easier to find again later, should I need to.
Well like I said that answers on Discord all over it. All you had to do was search or read the FAQ that I posted and you had your answer without even asking.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My buddy has a brand new '23 1500 Limited, so he does have the stock 22" wheels and stock tires. His truck seemed to drive itself (via OP/SP Release-C3) as well or better than my truck does with my C2.

My truck is a '21 1500 Limited. I have aftermarket 20" wheels with slightly bigger than stock tires. I think stock were 32" and mine are 33". Or whatever the numbers are. My tires are (IIRC) 1" bigger than the stock tires.

But, when I first got my C2, I still had the stock 22" wheels and stock tires on the truck. I never had to do anything special (based on the wheels/tires) to make the C2 work.
When I use the Sunnypilot forks and I enable I think it's call self tune and set friction to 0.2 and lat accel factor to 2.5 and it works pretty well. When I leave those on the default my truck has problems staying in it's own lane and driving straight.

Zimb on the Discord gave me that info not here :)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I use the Sunnypilot forks and I enable I think it's call self tune and set friction to 0.2 and lat accel factor to 2.5 and it works pretty well. When I leave those on the default my truck has problems staying in it's own lane and driving straight.

Thanks.

It will be much easier to come back here and find that info than it would be to search and find that info on Discord.... :)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Also, that is interesting, because my buddy's truck appears to be virtually identical to yours, except for being a '23.

He's got a 1500 Limited with HeTorque and 3.92 rear end. We loaded up SunnyPilot Release-C3 yesterday and took it for a test drive. All default settings. It drove itself just fine. Better, I'd say, than my truck with my C2. The only complaint was the message about needing to take the wheel due to excessive turning force required. And that only happened on a couple of tighter turns.

Definitely nothing I would describe as having problems staying in its own lane and driving straight.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks.

It will be much easier to come back here and find that info than it would be to search and find that info on Discord.... :)
You definitely want to use "enforce lateral torque" on SunnyPilot. I'd suggest using self tune first. Let it go for awhile. If you have the dev UI, you can see at the bottom how it adjusts the friction and lat accel as you drive. Then if you still feel you want to do it manually, you can use those values as a starting point. My truck drives great with self tune. I see no need to force the values as it doesn't charge anything on mine. But everyone's feel is different. I've been running OP since before we had a solid build so I might just be seeing things differently.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You definitely want to use "enforce lateral torque" on SunnyPilot. I'd suggest using self tune first. Let it go for awhile. If you have the dev UI, you can see at the bottom how it adjusts the friction and lat accel as you drive. Then if you still feel you want to do it manually, you can use those values as a starting point. My truck drives great with self tune. I see no need to force the values as it doesn't charge anything on mine. But everyone's feel is different. I've been running OP since before we had a solid build so I might just be seeing things differently.

Interesting.

All of this is the first time I've had a twinge of desire to upgrade my unit from a C2 to a C3.

Sadly, my buddy with the C3 is so "un-tech", I don't think he'll ever mess with any of this. He just wants the C3 to help him reduce the number of fender benders he gets in due to his major ADHD and inability to NOT look at his phone while driving. Fingers crossed for him!

Also, since I'm here.... Have there been any rumors of a Comma 4 yet?

And.... I think I read something about the RAM REV that said would have some kind of more advanced driver aids. My interpretation at the time was that they intend for the REV to have something at least equivalent to OpenPilot, from the factory. Any news on that?

I suspect a REV will be my next RAM (in 3 or 4 years). That kind of takes away from my impetus to buy a C3 - on the basis that a C3 may not work with a REV and also may not even be wanted.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Interesting.

All of this is the first time I've had a twinge of desire to upgrade my unit from a C2 to a C3.

Sadly, my buddy with the C3 is so "un-tech", I don't think he'll ever mess with any of this. He just wants the C3 to help him reduce the number of fender benders he gets in due to his major ADHD and inability to NOT look at his phone while driving. Fingers crossed for him!

Also, since I'm here.... Have there been any rumors of a Comma 4 yet?

And.... I think I read something about the RAM REV that said would have some kind of more advanced driver aids. My interpretation at the time was that they intend for the REV to have something at least equivalent to OpenPilot, from the factory. Any news on that?

I suspect a REV will be my next RAM (in 3 or 4 years). That kind of takes away from my impetus to buy a C3 - on the basis that a C3 may not work with a REV and also may not even be wanted.
No C4 in the future. They released a C3X, but it is just an interation and nothing more.

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've got mine pushed up to .5 and 2.85, and rarely if ever ger the "take control" warning. But, like you said, every truck is a little different.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also, that is interesting, because my buddy's truck appears to be virtually identical to yours, except for being a '23.

He's got a 1500 Limited with HeTorque and 3.92 rear end. We loaded up SunnyPilot Release-C3 yesterday and took it for a test drive. All default settings. It drove itself just fine. Better, I'd say, than my truck with my C2. The only complaint was the message about needing to take the wheel due to excessive turning force required. And that only happened on a couple of tighter turns.

Definitely nothing I would describe as having problems staying in its own lane and driving straight.
I was using an older version of Sunnypilot. They changed driving models and some other things since the build I was using months ago earlier this year.
Release-C3 I want to say is about a month old

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, C4 in the future. They released a C3X, but it is just an interation and nothing more.

I'm assuming you meant "No C4 in the future." Commas matter (lol! see what I did there?). And in this case, totally change the meaning. :D

I see now that they have the C3X. What I cannot see is what the technical differences are from the C3.

Can anybody point me at a detailed list of the differences?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When did the 3X come out?! My buddy bought a 3 a bit under 2 weeks ago. He says it was the only option available.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you meant "No C4 in the future." Commas matter (lol! see what I did there?). And in this case, totally change the meaning. :D

I see now that they have the C3X. What I cannot see is what the technical differences are from the C3.

It's just the cheap version of the c3.
I don't think they posted specs, not able to put an SSD into it. C3>C3X

vincentw56

Reaction score

Cue the Grammer police. Anyway, no, there isn't a C4 coming for the foreseeable future.

The C3X is a cheaper version of the C3, but the specs are basically the same. Like mentioned above, there is no place to upgrade the memory. And that's about it.

If your buddy wants, he can return his for this one and get back like $250. That's for a limited time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/