5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cue the Grammer police. Anyway, no, there isn't a C4 coming for the foreseeable future.

The C3X is a cheaper version of the C3, but the specs are basically the same. Like mentioned above, there is no place to upgrade the memory. And that's about it.

If your buddy wants, he can return his for this one and get back like $250. That's for a limited time.
Unless the C3X has onboard SSD soldered on and not some crappy emmc I would just keep the C3. It's an expensive product to begin with, whats a couple hundred dollars imo.
Maybe if the truck required a red panda.

Also just to be clear, it has the same memory.
It has higher onboard storage.
Memory = ram volatile storage
Storage = hdd\ssd\emmc persistent storage

Also looks like the C3X uses a different size mount, so not sure if that 3d printed one would still work (just going by the picture on their website)

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless the C3X has onboard SSD soldered on and not some crappy emmc I would just keep the C3. It's an expensive product to begin with, whats a couple hundred dollars imo.
Maybe if the truck required a red panda.

Also just to be clear, it has the same memory.
It has higher onboard storage.
Memory = ram volatile storage
Storage = hdd\ssd\emmc persistent storage

Also looks like the C3X uses a different size mount, so not sure if that 3d printed one would still work (just going by the picture on their website)
Jesus, I'm getting beat up about grammar and now the use of memory versus storage. Time to move back to Discord.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cue the Grammer police. Anyway, no, there isn't a C4 coming for the foreseeable future.

The C3X is a cheaper version of the C3, but the specs are basically the same. Like mentioned above, there is no place to upgrade the memory. And that's about it.

If your buddy wants, he can return his for this one and get back like $250. That's for a limited time.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. But:

"No C4 in the future"

and "no, C4 in the future"

mean pretty much the opposite of each other...

vincentw56

Reaction score
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. But:

"No C4 in the future"

and "no, C4 in the future"

mean pretty much the opposite of each other...
Didn't hurt my feelings. But I guess you knew what I meant without having to call it out. I'll go correct it before someone else gets their panties in bunch about it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Jesus, I'm getting beat up about grammar and now the use of memory versus storage. Time to move back to Discord.
I don't care about grammar.
Just saying that the C3X is NOT a hardware upgrade from the C3.
If it had more memory it would in fact be an upgrade in hardware.

That's all.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don't care about grammar.
Just saying that the C3X is NOT a hardware upgrade from the C3.
If it had more memory it would in fact be an upgrade in hardware.

That's all.
I never said it was an upgrade. I said was an interation. What sucks though, is that is it now. You can't get a C3 only the X. There are some hidden changes that make it so it won't run older builds. Doesn't affect us on the Ram, but there are some forks that still use older builds for support that just isn't quite there yet. Guess they will need to start moving forward.

This was bound to happen as they needed to move to a more approachable product from a cost perspective. I am not sure how much they saved by removing the connector for added storage (got it right this time). And if the case is smaller without it. I've not seen them side by side.

And sorry for the rant, but it seems like this message board is becoming a for people to argue and not others down lately. Been seeing it a lot lately. Got crap for trying to help someone yesterday. Anyway, enough of that. Back to trying to help.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never said it was an upgrade. I said was an interation. What sucks though, is that is it now. You can't get a C3 only the X. There are some hidden changes that make it so it won't run older builds. Doesn't affect us on the Ram, but there are some forks that still use older builds for support that just isn't quite there yet. Guess they will need to start moving forward.

This was bound to happen as they needed to move to a more approachable product from a cost perspective. I am not sure how much they saved by removing the connector for added storage (got it right this time). And if the case is smaller without it. I've not seen them side by side.

And sorry for the rant, but it seems like this message board is becoming a for people to argue and not others down lately. Been seeing it a lot lately. Got crap for trying to help someone yesterday. Anyway, enough of that. Back to trying to help.
Easy big guy. You need an attitude like the Brits. Just tell them to bugger off.
But, I do enjoy a good game of tit-for-tat.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

I do think it's odd they don't have the C3 anymore and just the X.
I figured they would offer both like how iphones offer the plastic version of the phone for cheaper.
Even weirder it's running a differnet version of the software that prevents it from running older builds, I wonder what their idea was with it.

Definitely going to be pushing even more people for that storage subscription service unfortunately. I have a 2TB SSD in mine now, and now you can capped at under 128GB and not able to expand? Backwards for sure.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Easy big guy. You need an attitude like the Brits. Just tell them to bugger off.
But, I do enjoy a good game of tit-for-tat.
Most of the time I do. I mean, believe me, I could have been a lot harsher in my comments to the other people. As far as grammar, as a software engineer, I work with a lot of people in which English isn't their first language. If I had to worry about that all the time, I would go nuts. And I do try to use it properly as much as possible. But talk-to-text and using a tiny keyboard on the phone don't always work the best.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I do think it's odd they don't have the C3 anymore and just the X.
I figured they would offer both like how iphones offer the plastic version of the phone for cheaper.
Even weirder it's running a differnet version of the software that prevents it from running older builds, I wonder what their idea was with it.

Definitely going to be pushing even more people for that storage subscription service unfortunately. I have a 2TB SSD in mine now, and now you can capped at under 128GB and not able to expand? Backwards for sure.
Yes, I agree. They should have allowed for both. The C3 was more of a "dev kit" then a consumer level product. They could still offer it as such. I have at least 4 different forks on my comma that I switch between for development and testing purposes. I would be having a hard time with the smaller size.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read that they increased the On Board RAM from 32GB to 128GB. Perhaps to help with the Open Street Maps Database.
I am waiting until we get E2E on the RAM 1500 before I sign up for Prime. I don't see any other use for it otherwise.

Malodave

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't hurt my feelings. But I guess you knew what I meant without having to call it out. I'll go correct it before someone else gets their panties in bunch about it.

Sorry. I'm not a ****. I asked because I was NOT sure which way you meant it. If I knew for sure which way you meant it, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question in the first place, now would I?

What you posted and what you meant were not the same thing. If asking for clarification means that you think *I* am the problem here, well, I don't know what to tell you. Other than it does seem like some panties got bunched, but needing to ask for clarification does not mean it was MY panties that were bunched.... I am very used to illiterate people posting stuff on the Internet that does not say what they thought it said or meant for it to say. Asking a sincere question to be sure I understood what the correct answer was is way too "normal" for me to get my knickers in a twist about it. Otherwise, I'd be "in a bunch" 90% of my waking hours.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Sorry. I'm not a ****. I asked because I was NOT sure which way you meant it. If I knew for sure which way you meant it, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question in the first place, now would I?

What you posted and what you meant were not the same thing. If asking for clarification means that you think *I* am the problem here, well, I don't know what to tell you. Other than it does seem like some panties got bunched, but needing to ask for clarification does not mean it was MY panties that were bunched.... I am very used to illiterate people posting stuff on the Internet that does not say what they thought it said or meant for it to say. Asking a sincere question to be sure I understood what the correct answer was is way too "normal" for me to get my knickers in a twist about it. Otherwise, I'd be "in a bunch" 90% of my waking hours.
Sorry, guess we both suck at communication. You reply starts like this "I'm assuming you meant...", so you figured out what I meant. You weren't asking for clarification. But anyway, I'm over it. I was having a bad night. It's done and over and knickers are untwisted. Moving on.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, guess we both suck at communication. You reply starts like this "I'm assuming you meant...", so you figured out what I meant. You weren't asking for clarification. But anyway, I'm over it. I was having a bad night. It's done and over and knickers are untwisted. Moving on.

"I'm assuming" means "I don't KNOW. I'm making my best guess and telling you that I'm doing so, in case you need to correct me".

If I wasn't trying to get clarification, I would not have said that or anything like that. I would have KNOWN what you were trying to say and had no need to write about that part of what you posted. I GUESSED what you meant, communicated to you that I had made that guess, because your post was not clear, and then proceeded to comment after establishing the context from which I was speaking. I even made a joke about it (which I'm still chuckling to myself over - "Commas matter" lol!) to try and keep it "light". If you think what I wrote was sucky communication, well...

vincentw56

Reaction score
"I'm assuming" means "I don't KNOW. I'm making my best guess and telling you that I'm doing so, in case you need to correct me".

If I wasn't trying to get clarification, I would not have said that or anything like that. I would have KNOWN what you were trying to say and had no need to write about that part of what you posted. I GUESSED what you meant, communicated to you that I had made that guess, because your post was not clear, and then proceeded to comment after establishing the context from which I was speaking. I even made a joke about it (which I'm still chuckling to myself over - "Commas matter" lol!) to try and keep it "light". If you think what I wrote was sucky communication, well...
So much for moving on. Anyway, I'm done with this. I'll be around to answer OpenPilot and Comma related questions, but I'm not going off topic on this thread anymore.

HillFolk

Reaction score
Incase anyone stumbles upon this thread and has a 2024 HD Truck. My friend and I are working with sshane to try get my Comma3x working on my 2024 2500 Cummins Megacab. I'm hoping we can figure this out! I love how the C2 in my Prius has helped me with my long commute and look forward to getting this working on the truck.

FYI - Malodave's mount is awesome!

vincentw56

Reaction score
Incase anyone stumbles upon this thread and has a 2024 HD Truck. My friend and I are working with sshane to try get my Comma3x working on my 2024 2500 Cummins Megacab. I'm hoping we can figure this out! I love how the C2 in my Prius has helped me with my long commute and look forward to getting this working on the truck.

FYI - Malodave's mount is awesome!
We have this working on the other HDs. You should get on the Ram discord. Official OP doesn't support HDs so they won't help you. If I had your vehicle parameters, I can add it to our fork and you should be working fine. I just added a 2024 HD to it.

HillFolk

Reaction score
We have this working on the other HDs. You should get on the Ram discord. Official OP doesn't support HDs so they won't help you. If I had your vehicle parameters, I can add it to our fork and you should be working fine. I just added a 2024 HD to it.
Hi Vincent, have you seen my recent PM’s? Would love to get up and rolling on sunnypilot. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread