5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

djwdjw

Reaction score
Why is the Paragon not getting the love the Lomax is? I'm leaning towards the Lomax but this looks very nice with a similar price point (Paragon is 20% off with code). Thoughts?
I do live in Wisconsin, thinking snow and ice would make the folding an issue?

I can't answer the snow and ice question, but you'd think Peragon could since they are made in Wisconsin.

I love mine and would have been really happy getting 20% off. I really wanted a hard aluminum lockable paint matched cover that I could completely remove in a half a minute by myself, and folded up to nothing when needed. Nothing else but the Peragon one fits those higher requirements. And the panels are much thicker than I thought they would be - its very solid.

Their sales model might also have some affect on how many folks opt for them since its all factory direct. Installation is not all that hard but it is more involved than plopping a tri-fold on which takes about 3 minutes.

Last edited:

badzdad

Reaction score
Lomax installed just a few minutes ago. Pretty easy install, better if you have two dudes or at least some quick release clamps around if you don’t have the extra hands. Overall pretty solid build, especially for the money. Lucas strikes again lol. My only complaint is that my new tailgating grill from Grilla Grills (www.grillagrills.com) is about an inch too tall to stand up under the tonneau. The good news is that it was designed to be laid down if needed since all the grates lock in place.

Attachments

• IMG_20190312_150434.jpg
    IMG_20190312_150434.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20190312_152603.jpg
    IMG_20190312_152603.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20190312_152612.jpg
    IMG_20190312_152612.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20190312_152617.jpg
    IMG_20190312_152617.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_20190312_153110.jpg
    IMG_20190312_153110.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20190312_153118.jpg
    IMG_20190312_153118.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 276

jkm312

Reaction score
I installed my Lomax yesterday. Best hard folding tonneau ever IMO! I had spoken with the actual designer at Agri -Cover, which convinced me to buy. Super simple so that it is elegant in design! The matte textured black matches the bed rail caps so that the low profile cover just blends in. The way the seals wedge gives excellent sealing all the way around.

This morning I dropped my truck for PPF and ceramic coating so I will post pictures of the cover in a couple days, but the important point is that they took a soap cannon and 1200psi rinse gun to the truck as step one in prep. I popped the gate after they finished and the only sign of water was at the front corner of the bed, driver's side, which is where my spray in bedliner has the tonneau seal a little uneven. I have not had this kind of performance out of a tonneau since the 1-piece ARE lids I've had. Blows the doors off the BAK's I've had for look and performance! I won't miss the vertical fold against the window either. The Lomax is RIDICULOUSLY simple to pop off and pop back on and very lightweight. It sits perfectly on the crew cab rear floor if full removal is needed away from home.

Anyone looking at a hard folder, give the Lomax a look over! Luke delivers at excellent pricing and superior customer service too!

My only gripe is related to the packaging. It's better than most, but needs to be improved. My rails had powdercoat scratched off them because the rail attaching clamps came out of their non-sealing, plastic envelope and roamed all over the box! The rails were only wrapped together and not for protection. Had they been stretch wrapped 100%, there would have been no scratched finish. Had a ziploc been used, there would have been no scratched finish. The folded cover also needs to be in a padded sleeve. These are cheap things from U-line, and this customer would pay the extra $5 for! I am living with the scratches on the rails since they are aluminum and also because you don't see them unless the cover is folded open. In the nice weather, I'll touch them up to make them less noticeable.

View attachment 11417 View attachment 11418

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I installed my Lomax the moment it arrived. It took longer to unbox it than it did to actually install it ... Super easy, works perfectly. Shout out to Luke at Truck Alterations as well. I called them on Wednesday, and the cover arrived at my home in Houston on Friday. Excellent price too. I can see why so many folks are happy with these covers. Nicely made!

Brady_SS

Reaction score
So much for my Undercover Flex. Thought it was hail resistant and made of FRP. Some websites say yes, Undercover says no. Second time in the last 2 years I get to get a new roof and have PDR done.

IMG-2348.JPG

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So much for my Undercover Flex. Thought it was hail resistant and made of FRP. Some websites say yes, Undercover says no. Second time in the last 2 years I get to get a new roof and have PDR done.

UNREAL! we get rare hail that could cause such damage... but now i'd consider having some cardboard in the truckbed at all time for that roof and hood

mr_sick

Reaction score
Hey, guys. New to truck ownership, and this site has been fantastic. I lurked on this forum as well as those for other makes and models before and after test drives to help with my decision. Picked up a 2019 Laramie last weekend, and I can’t begin to describe how excited I am.

Special thanks for the references to Luke at Truck Alterations. They deserve all the business they can get. We traded a few e-mails before I placed my order Monday evening (at a much better price than anywhere else), and my cover was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Check with Luke on all items, not just the bed covers including things that are not listed on their website. I ordered my Lomax bed cover, Westin Promaxx 5, and AMP bed extender from him all at the same time, all with fast shipping and excellent prices.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Check with Luke on all items, not just the bed covers including things that are not listed on their website. I ordered my Lomax bed cover, Westin Promaxx 5, and AMP bed extender from him all at the same time, all with fast shipping and excellent prices.
Curious how the install on the AMP bed extender goes. Thinking about selling my Mopar Bed Divider for one of these. I use it mainly for trips to the grocery store to keep stuff from sliding forward, but it doesn't really work under the folding tonneau that came with my truck. Epic fail on RAM's part on that one.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Curious how the install on the AMP bed extender goes. Thinking about selling my Mopar Bed Divider for one of these. I use it mainly for trips to the grocery store to keep stuff from sliding forward, but it doesn't really work under the folding tonneau that came with my truck. Epic fail on RAM's part on that one.
The AMP bed extender is nice that it fits easily under the Lomax cover. Worst part about the install was having to drill holes into the bed of a brand new truck. Just felt wrong to do that but I knew the brackets would be there permanently so no big deal. I have the BUG installed on my truck so there is the lineX type coating on the bed and we had to drill through that coating into the bed. There were no factory indentations to let us know where to drill for the bracket screws. But it does come with a template that loses a little bit of accuracy due to the thickness of the bed coating. Good news is that it does not really need to be 100% accurate, just somewhat close and it will function just fine. We broke an old drill bit trying to drill through everything so we bought a new one and it went MUCH easier having a fresh drill bit. After that, install was a breeze, just followed the instructions to put the pieces together.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
The AMP bed extender is nice that it fits easily under the Lomax cover. Worst part about the install was having to drill holes into the bed of a brand new truck. Just felt wrong to do that but I knew the brackets would be there permanently so no big deal. I have the BUG installed on my truck so there is the lineX type coating on the bed and we had to drill through that coating into the bed. There were no factory indentations to let us know where to drill for the bracket screws. But it does come with a template that loses a little bit of accuracy due to the thickness of the bed coating. Good news is that it does not really need to be 100% accurate, just somewhat close and it will function just fine. We broke an old drill bit trying to drill through everything so we bought a new one and it went MUCH easier having a fresh drill bit. After that, install was a breeze, just followed the instructions to put the pieces together.

Is the AMP extender identical to the OEM Mopar Extender? They look the same from what I can tell. I also have the BUG but the rails are useless with the bed divider rails installed. I might sell the divider and factory mopar soft trifold and get the Lomax and Amp Research Extender.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Is the AMP extender identical to the OEM Mopar Extender? They look the same from what I can tell. I also have the BUG but the rails are useless with the bed divider rails installed. I might sell the divider and factory mopar soft trifold and get the Lomax and Amp Research Extender.
Pretty sure the Mopar extender is identical to the AMP just re-branded. I would go with whichever one you can get the best price on. There are a couple different options, silver, black, v shaped or u shaped. I went with the HD U shape one in black. Contact Luke directly at Truck Alterations, he will get you a good price.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Mopar extender is identical to the AMP just re-branded. I would go with whichever one you can get the best price on. There are a couple different options, silver, black, v shaped or u shaped. I went with the HD U shape one in black. Contact Luke directly at Truck Alterations, he will get you a good price.

What did you pay for the extender? You can PM me if you don’t feel comfortable posting on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheeler

Reaction score
Lomax from Luke at truck alterations. No one can beat his price for sure.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 20464

I previously had a BAK cover and was disappointed the finish started to come off after a few years and was prone to dings and dents similar to the ones in your picture.

If you like Undercover check out the Amorflex. It's got Premium-Grade LINE-X® Coating for the finish. Their promo video shows a bowling ball being dropped on it and a guy trying to scratch it with a wrench. Although I haven't tried anything like that to test it out, it seems pretty durable so for.

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-armorflex

Users who are viewing this thread