5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought the RetraxPRO MX. This will be my third Retrax cover and they are awesome. Just put it on my truck yesterday!

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
For me, it was down between the Ultra Flex and the Lomax. I went with the Lomax for ease of removal if I need the entire bed. Also got a great deal from Luke at Truck Alterations.
how good of a deal did you get? I am looking to buy the Lomax and right now I am finding them around $869

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
Never had any leaks on the 2 AREs I have owned. Agree on hauling large items, so I use one the 3 trailers I have. They are also easier to load.
I had a undercover hard (non folding) cover on my 2006 Ram 2500 for almost 9 years without one leak. Looked good too - still does (haven't sold my 2006 yet). I think the folding covers are practical for the ability to open up the cover in sections if you need to haul something taller than the bed. But I, too, have a trailer I could use, and I have easily removed the nonfolding cover with help. I really like the look . Im torn - are there other reasons why I should consider one of the folding covers? It seems a lot of forum members have issues with water leaks with them.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I had a undercover hard (non folding) cover on my 2006 Ram 2500 for almost 9 years without one leak. Looked good too - still does (haven't sold my 2006 yet). I think the folding covers are practical for the ability to open up the cover in sections if you need to haul something taller than the bed. But I, too, have a trailer I could use, and I have easily removed the nonfolding cover with help. I really like the look . Im torn - are there other reasons why I should consider one of the folding covers? It seems a lot of forum members have issues with water leaks with them.
Those hard covers are great. Main draw back is how heavy it is to remove it and store it if you need tall stuff in the bed. If you dont need that space then I see the only other issue is eventually the paint will wear out on it. That happened to a hard cover we had and we line x’d over the paint it and it looks awesome. One piece hard covers stand up well against heavy snow too.

cnnr_thomp

Reaction score
I went with the RetraxONE XR because of the rail system it integrates into the tonneau cover. I added Yakima HD Bars on the other day. These bars are built to sustain the weight of a rooftop tent. I've already used my bars to carry snowboards and the Yakima Skinny Warrior. The tonneau cover isn't the cheapest option, but the features and quality are worth it IMO.
%iM5VqclRUG1E3rzRFzE5w.jpg tn6cL9xKRdquDVaRFIiwRw.jpg EbCov9%FSuCjAl22JqOypw.jpg YVEd2fuCTqSDNNZWmFsseg.jpg

metb4

Reaction score
I went with the RetraxONE XR because of the rail system it integrates into the tonneau cover. I added Yakima HD Bars on the other day. These bars are built to sustain the weight of a rooftop tent. I've already used my bars to carry snowboards and the Yakima Skinny Warrior. The tonneau cover isn't the cheapest option, but the features and quality are worth it IMO.
View attachment 17659 View attachment 17660 View attachment 17661 View attachment 17662
Sweet! HD bars look great.

I've got pretty much the same setup, but with JetStream bars. I'm loving it - everything I was looking for in a tonneau.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I've always figured that if you're going to get a hard cover you might just as well get a camper top. At least you've got more storage space and can haul anything that's cab height or lower. The single-piece hard covers weigh a ton to take off by yourself - just about impossible, really - so just like a camper top you need 2 people to remove it. The hard cover looks a little sleeker but the hard cover always says to me "there's a guy that really doesn't need a truck, he could do everything he's doing now with a minivan or SUV".

I have a love/hate relationship with any kind of cover on the back. My favorite cover is a camper top, but they also have their drawbacks. It depends on how often you need to access the bed from the side, how often you need to haul something taller than the truck, how often you need to be able to have something dumped into the bed. If I had a second person permanently handy I'd probably keep a topper on the truck, but since it's usually just me (my wife can't carry a camper top) I have to go with what makes the most sense most of the time. That's either open bed or fold-up tonneau for me :)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Retrax Pro MX Install...you'll have to excuse all of the pollen on the truck being in Florida.

Attachments

• Ram5.jpg
    Ram5.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Ram6.jpg
    Ram6.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 195
  • Ram10.jpg
    Ram10.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Ram9.jpg
    Ram9.jpg