5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL wire tap for topper

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Leer provided a pigtail that sandwiched in between trailer 7 way plug and the wiring harness from truck (harness uncoupled from back of 7 way plug). This feeds the brake light and also gives 12 volts to any aux lighting that u would want to install
This is the Leer kit for those with a 2019 5th Gen:

Last edited:

sandman98

Reaction score
I was able to find the same pigtail on my 2021 V6. The diagram posted by ammdrew on post #48 shows the exact location. The wire is white with purple stripe and capped with black plastic. The entire thing was covered by tape on my truck; I went to the location on the diagram and just started pulling tape off until I found it. I was confused at first thinking it was in with the wiring in the driver back taillight area - it is not. It is below that taillight area and there is no need to open the taillight area to get to the pigtail.
Yes, Robalo2718 you are correct. My 2021 1500 Laramie has this pigtail (white/purple tracer) capped in black shrink wrap in the exact location as Ammdrew's diagram on post#48. You only need to take off a wrap or two of the fabric tape to access--I could actually feel the end cap under the wrapping. The rest of the harness can be left alone. This makes hookup of the CHMSL super easy (just connect the ground to the frame somewhere). No need for extra harnesses and logic modules to tap into the 7-pin trailer harness. Thank you everyone for your help!

Now, to figure out where to tap into to hook up the dome light so it works in conjunction with the factory LED bed lighting...

IMG_6051.jpeg

Techna

Reaction score
I just bought a shell (Leer 100XQ) yesterday from an individual and this thread has been a valuable resource. I’m curious though what to do with the existing third brake light and cargo lights mounted on the cab? I’d rather deactivate them, but I’m sure that if I pull the plug it’ll give me a bulb failure warning on the dash. A brief search has not offered any help so far, but I’d envisioned something that might plug into the factory harness behind the light housing and present a load to the truck’s system. Any ideas?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Leer will be installed this weekend.

I have all three LEDs installed in the CHMSL and ended up slapping a piece of clear Flex Seal Tape over the entire CHMSL to keep water out permanently. Hopefully the LEDs will last years and I will keep the water out. Worst case I can loosen the integrated clamps in the Leer, slide it back and replace a bulb or Flex Seal Tape.

F8A26616-E549-4269-AE02-88F61C842C04.jpeg

Last edited:

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
My Leer will be installed this weekend.

I have all three LEDs installed in the CHMSL and ended up slapping a piece of clear Flex Seal Tape over the entire CHMSL to keep water out permanently. Hopefully the LEDs will last years and I will keep the water out. Worst case I can loosen the integrated clamps in the Leer, slide it back and replace a bulb or Flex Seal Tape.

View attachment 79650
Not a bad idea.... any specific flex tape or is it marine grade ? Where’d you get it ?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a bad idea.... any specific flex tape or is it marine grade ? Where’d you get it ?
This is what I purchased at Home Depot and it is working perfectly.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perfect.... thank you. Doing this today.
Just remember to start applying from the bottom up. Leave 1/4” handing down under the CHMSL so you can roll it under the light. When you apply it, be sure it is a warm day above 60 degrees and take your time to get the bubbles out. I spent fifteen minutes working then out with my thumbs and it came out nicely.

Techna

Reaction score
Well I just broke down and bought the harness shown in post #61 above. Seems to work just fine and was 100% plug and play. Now working on a solution for “automating“ the hatch/window. I’m after the same no key, no external latch, no need to dig the fob out of my pocket functionality that my retractable bed cover provided for locking up the bed.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I just broke down and bought the harness shown in post #61 above. Seems to work just fine and was 100% plug and play. Now working on a solution for “automating“ the hatch/window. I’m after the same no key, no external latch, no need to dig the fob out of my pocket functionality that my retractable bed cover provided for locking up the bed.
I installed mine yesterday and it was a breeze to do...less than 30 minutes and much cleaner for my Leer topper than wiretaps. Leer is running behind on producing their toppers but at least I have the Leer plug-in harness installed and will be plug/play when they install the topper. I was impressed with how well made the kit is and the clear, concise installation instructions.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday and it was a breeze to do...less than 30 minutes and much cleaner for my Leer topper than wiretaps. Leer is running behind on producing their toppers but at least I have the Leer plug-in harness installed and will be plug/play when they install the topper. I was impressed with how well made the kit is and the clear, concise installation instructions.
My installer was shocked when he saw the connection was already installed. He didn’t know Leer manufactured such a setup but was going to check into it for his future customers. Install was plug and play, and it looks great.

C586CB98-3411-47E4-8C01-679F50EECBD0.jpeg

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
Where are you guys finding the Leer harness adapter? I found one place that is charging over $100. The install video in post 61 doesn't show where to route the wires, is that in the included instructions?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where are you guys finding the Leer harness adapter? I found one place that is charging over $100. The install video in post 61 doesn't show where to route the wires, is that in the included instructions?
It is in the instructions. You will need to remove the left tail light and you route the cabling up through the hole on the bed just above the tail light. Simple installation a d the price is right what you indicated. Only one place I’ve found it and it was worthy every penny.

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
Well, shoot, as much as I want to buy the Leer wiring harness and do the job myself, the local truck shop said they will wire me up for $50! Saves me a bruised knuckle and throws them a bone.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, shoot, as much as I want to buy the Leer wiring harness and do the job myself, the local truck shop said they will wire me up for $50! Saves me a bruised knuckle and throws them a bone.
Just be careful...my local shop wanted the same thing but was going to run a wire clear to the front of the truck, drill a hole in the floor board and run a wire into the cab to hook it up to power. No way in heck was I going to let them do that when there is power at the back of the truck with the Leer harness...

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
Just be careful...my local shop wanted the same thing but was going to run a wire clear to the front of the truck, drill a hole in the floor board and run a wire into the cab to hook it up to power. No way in heck was I going to let them do that when there is power at the back of the truck with the Leer harness...
I hear ya.... if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!!!

Here's the topper. Leer 100XL, even has the fold in front window, for $350! (and he sold me a nice BEDRUG for $50)
20210222_151254.jpg

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
It is in the instructions. You will need to remove the left tail light and you route the cabling up through the hole on the bed just above the tail light. Simple installation a d the price is right what you indicated. Only one place I’ve found it and it was worthy every penny.

Is this what the Leer electrics in your topper looks like? (Before plugging in the pigtail from down below) I want to be sure we are on the same page.
Thanks!
20210224_100327.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread