5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL wire tap for topper

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
Got the top all wired up today. That wiring harness worked like a champ! Going to go camp out in the back this upcoming week and check for leaks etc.!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the top all wired up today. That wiring harness worked like a champ! Going to go camp out in the back this upcoming week and check for leaks etc.!
Agree! The Leer wiring harness is priceless.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, Robalo2718 you are correct. My 2021 1500 Laramie has this pigtail (white/purple tracer) capped in black shrink wrap in the exact location as Ammdrew's diagram on post#48. You only need to take off a wrap or two of the fabric tape to access--I could actually feel the end cap under the wrapping. The rest of the harness can be left alone. This makes hookup of the CHMSL super easy (just connect the ground to the frame somewhere). No need for extra harnesses and logic modules to tap into the 7-pin trailer harness. Thank you everyone for your help!

Now, to figure out where to tap into to hook up the dome light so it works in conjunction with the factory LED bed lighting...

View attachment 78329
I found the pigtail also, was on top of the frame with about 1/4" sticking out, it was not visible from below but easy to feel. It was taped to the top of the wiring harness directly above the hitch bolt.
20210310_114230.jpg 20210310_114242.jpg 20210310_114259.jpg 20210310_114311.jpg

jojo7070

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have 2020 2500 with Aux switches, turned out that the factory runs wires to the back of the truck for Upfitting.
It took me a while to find them, plus you also need to connect inside the truck above the parking brake to the grey jumper that comes with the Upfitter kit.

(*These two circuits become active when the 6 cavity Light Gray connector (Jumper por Upfitter 2) included in the Upfitter kit is installed onto the Light Gray connector at location D in the vehicle diagram)
This link should give you all the information you need to set up a 3rd break or connect lights or any other stuff without running any new wires from the Aux plugin

Campinram

Reaction score
So just to clarify, has anyone found this wire on the 2019's? Or is it MIA til 2020 models? I've looked and can't find it on mine.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 did not have it. My 2020 does have it. My coworkers 2021 has it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be honest, I didn’t utilize the pigtail even though my truck has it. Instead, I splurged and purchased the kit below which a much cleaner installation as it provided the brake light as well as power for the interior lights of the topper.

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
I found the pigtail also, was on top of the frame with about 1/4" sticking out, it was not visible from below but easy to feel. It was taped to the top of the wiring harness directly above the hitch bolt.
View attachment 85279 View attachment 85280 View attachment 85281 View attachment 85282

My 2021 BigHorn EcoDiesel also has the pigtail in this same location. I will be wiring up my 2014 EcoDiesel ARE X series topper (it fits 99% of the way, which is good enough for me) to it in a couple of days. My wire I believe is just white as my eyes can only see white on something that small. But it looks exactly like this one in the pictures above.

jellis466

Reaction score
I have an ARE V series with the dome light and LED strip lights that i just bought off a truck at a dealership. Where do i tap into to get the LED and dome lights working?? my truck doesnt have the OEM bed lighting

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an ARE V series with the dome light and LED strip lights that i just bought off a truck at a dealership. Where do i tap into to get the LED and dome lights working?? my truck doesnt have the OEM bed lighting
See Post #88 above for an easy method.

Ratfink

Reaction score
Has anyone done this yet? Still looking for good options while I wait for toppers to release
Well I have a 2021 RAM, built Aug 9, 2021. I purchased a Y-connector harness that tees off the 7 pin connector, from eTrailer, and converts to 4-pin pig tail. Added a 4-pin extention and ran covered up behind tail light into truck bed along with a power wire that I soldered into Aux-12 volt off the 7-pin. Ordered a $15.00 electronic connector that, connects into my 4-pin trailer harness and converts turn/brake lights on harness into brake light.

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
To be honest, I didn’t utilize the pigtail even though my truck has it. Instead, I splurged and purchased the kit below which a much cleaner installation as it provided the brake light as well as power for the interior lights of the topper.

Anyone have another place that has this harness?
I can't get their site to load.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have another place that has this harness?
I can't get their site to load.
I tried it just now and the link works fine.

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
I tried it just now and the link works fine.

gotta love technology.... still doesn't work on my end but ill try and fight that battle another day.

Looking to make sure it works with this [see attached] I have partially installed; albeit hacked away at when the previous owner sold it to me:

Attachments

• 139280-138048-topper_fuse_box.jpg
    139280-138048-topper_fuse_box.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 17

Warpspider

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if someone could post picture of the wiring diagram from the

Leer Third brake light 7-Way Interface plug-in T Harness - 300100​

Installation instructions.

Thank you

Alleyesonme

Reaction score
Yes, Robalo2718 you are correct. My 2021 1500 Laramie has this pigtail (white/purple tracer) capped in black shrink wrap in the exact location as Ammdrew's diagram on post#48. You only need to take off a wrap or two of the fabric tape to access--I could actually feel the end cap under the wrapping. The rest of the harness can be left alone. This makes hookup of the CHMSL super easy (just connect the ground to the frame somewhere). No need for extra harnesses and logic modules to tap into the 7-pin trailer harness. Thank you everyone for your help!

Now, to figure out where to tap into to hook up the dome light so it works in conjunction with the factory LED bed lighting...

View attachment 78329
First time poster
2021 ram 1500 with the lights in the bed
Just got a new leer cap with a dome light
I’ve found the white and purple wire under the truck and a good spot for a ground I think, but where do I hook the third wire up to have the dome light work in conjunction with the bed lights?
I’m assuming to the red wire that’s behind the drivers side light that has the power button
Thank you

Alleyesonme

Reaction score
First time poster
2021 ram 1500 with the lights in the bed
Just got a new leer cap with a dome light
I’ve found the white and purple wire under the truck and a good spot for a ground I think, but where do I hook the third wire up to have the dome light work in conjunction with the bed lights?
I’m assuming to the red wire that’s behind the drivers side light that has the power button
Thank you

Attachments

• 3C132389-ED3B-40FF-8D8B-BC390584B5EF.jpeg
    3C132389-ED3B-40FF-8D8B-BC390584B5EF.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 73

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I was able to locate the white/purple wire under the bed and wire the 3rd brake light of my camper.
The installer wanted to charge me $150 to splice the wires under the driver's door jamb to wire the 3rd brake light. I told him about the wire under the bed but he laughed at me....
Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread