5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL wire tap for topper

ammdrew

Reaction score
Gen 4's has a nice pigtail under the spare. Has anyone found a easy tap point to pull the third brake light signal from for a topper?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I had the complete wiring diagrams and theres nothing about pigtails for the chmsl, I've also looked pretty extensively under the truck and found nothing. I recently did a project that involved tapping into the cargo chmsl lights and that harness runs under the drivers side door sills.

Last edited:

ammdrew

Reaction score
Can you post the diagrams? I really hate cutting into wiring if I can avoid it. Dodge has always done such a great job giving us a place to do this it is really a shame if they did not in the 19’s

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Can you post the diagrams? I really hate cutting into wiring if I can avoid it. Dodge has always done such a great job giving us a place to do this it is really a shame if they did not in the 19’s
I had access to the diagrams through my 3 day subscription to the service manual. I saved the diagrams but they’re not labeled so it wouldn’t be of much help.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Brake wire on trailer plug?
That’s always an option, although if you don’t have the trailer brake controller there won’t be power going to that wire. Also keep in mind that when you’re not fully on the brakes there isn’t the full 12 volts going to that wire.

ammdrew

Reaction score
Has anyone done this yet? Still looking for good options while I wait for toppers to release

steindog

Reaction score
I asked this question at the topper builder A.R.E. and they said it requires a logic box which is a $30.00 part that needs a single wire intercepted from both tail lights and a local chassis ground. The logic box will illuminate the third break light when break pedal is applied but will prevent the third break light from flashing when turn signals are applied. The one I ordered is made by American Technologies part number AT-LC-8N.

ammdrew

Reaction score
So if we have to pull off the wiring for each side has anyone found a nice place to do that. Still going to hate tapping into factory harness.. seems so dumb in 2019... Looks like I still have time though as ARE is obviously dragging feet on getting the new toppers out for the 5th gen truck

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if we have to pull off the wiring for each side has anyone found a nice place to do that. Still going to hate tapping into factory harness.. seems so dumb in 2019... Looks like I still have time though as ARE is obviously dragging feet on getting the new toppers out for the 5th gen truck

Last email I have from ARE is a the vendor production issue of the one piece rear glass door.

ammdrew

Reaction score
OK I got the single day tech authority subscription and I do believe we have a center tap in, located in the cab. I will see if I can take a look but pin 26 of the large connector xy400A white and violet wire is for "topper 3rd brake light"

Attachments

• 2019ramwiringdiagramtopper.PNG
    2019ramwiringdiagramtopper.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 418
  • 2019ramplugwire26highlight.PNG
    2019ramplugwire26highlight.PNG
    119.5 KB · Views: 419
  • 2019ramlocation.PNG
    2019ramlocation.PNG
    124.7 KB · Views: 407
  • 2019rampindescrip.PNG
    2019rampindescrip.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 405

Charger68

Reaction score
Leer provided a pigtail that sandwiched in between trailer 7 way plug and the wiring harness from truck (harness uncoupled from back of 7 way plug). This feeds the brake light and also gives 12 volts to any aux lighting that u would want to install

steindog

Reaction score
Leer provided a pigtail that sandwiched in between trailer 7 way plug and the wiring harness from truck (harness uncoupled from back of 7 way plug). This feeds the brake light and also gives 12 volts to any aux lighting that u would want to install
Could you determine who built this pigtail adapter and what the part number was?

steindog

Reaction score
OK I got the single day tech authority subscription and I do believe we have a center tap in, located in the cab. I will see if I can take a look but pin 26 of the large connector xy400A white and violet wire is for "topper 3rd brake light"
I would be very interested if this wire does exist and if it's already stubbed out from the harness to make a simple single butt splice as was the case in past models. If someone locates this wire and verifies the physical details and runs a functionality test it could be way better than intercepting two wires at the rear brake light area that it requires to make the other logic module option work. I purchased the logic module since A.R.E. said this is how it's done A.R.E. has been slow to release the model long bed topper I desire so I still have time to identify the easiest wiring method for third break light and aux 12 volt. Thanks for any more info you find out and post for us. John

steindog

Reaction score
T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
Item # 118384
This part looks like a great way to intercept wiring without cutting into factory harness. I'm still a bit unclear on how this would not flash the third break light during turn signal operation (maybe logic module still needed?) I also don't see how this would provide any 12volt for aux interior lighting? Maybe another way to pick up aux power without cutting any wires? Thanks for the part number. John

Charger68

Reaction score
Call a leer dealer they have a specific harness for ur application. It cost 80.00 though

ammdrew

Reaction score
So this is my connector from under the cab. the Brake signal pin is present so now I need to taknapart the other side and see if it has a nice little wire just waiting to be clipped into.

Users who are viewing this thread