5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL wire tap for topper

Chippewa

Reaction score
The pin is brake. I have confirmed it functions correctly. Next will be to buy a pin kit, female side and then run the wire to the rear of the truck. Cavity is empty on the under harness side.
Just wondering to verify output. Does this wire only supply brake light? Or does it supply running light and brighter brake light. An if needing to run wires back from switches anyhow would it be possible to clip in to source side of pin26? Thanks for sharing so much already.

801Ag

Reaction score

Is your truck Ivory White Tri-Coat? Or bright white? I have a Revo on order but I’m very nervous about the paint match on the tri-coat.

Your truck looks great and chance you could post a few more pics of it with different angles of the cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilian11

Reaction score
thank you for the information and pics posted! So helpful!!!! Doing this now to my tailgate LED bar. Do not want turn signals on it, just brake and was looking for a place to tap into. Much appreciated!!

ammdrew

Reaction score
Just got a 2020, swapped my topper on and went to wire to wire in the same way. checked the pin.. works the same. Was about to put the wire In and low and behold ram now has a wire coming out the other side. after a lengthy scavenger hunt I am going to go download the drawings on the 2020 and see where the pigtail is.

Deet Dirt

Reaction score
I have circled the correct hole
Thanks for the information on installation of the third brake light.
Took mine apart and was unable to remove plug.
Going to try again tomorrow and use a small all to push out plug instead of trying to pick from top side.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
that is a dodge part number.

All done works perfect. I have to say that was one of the hardest connector to push in, My block must of had some flash or something in the hole(pretty hard to see down inside) I had to double verify I had the correct connector.

I ended up using a commercial sewing needle so I could push the connector in to fully seat.

If you want to hunt the bare connector 7-1452668-1

Mopar part number 68199265AA will get you 6 wires with connectors on the end. You push or pull the weather plug out and then push in the new connector.
How do you push in a wire with the connector on it into the hole, using a sewing needle? Just seems you would damage the wire. Perhaps you just pushed in the connector first? Then put the wire into the connector?
Thanks

socalheel

Reaction score
has anyone found the pigtail for the 2020 1500?

in the connector for the brake light, i found the wire color that supplied the brake light using my multimeter (white / green), but i really don't want to tap into the harness if i don't have to.

sandman98

Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well--does this pigtail exist on the 2021 1500???

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Following..... local shop installed my cap yesterday and cut into the factory harness near the bumper, completely messed up my brakes lights, blinkers, and best of all... killed my backup sensors !!! need To confirm, does the curt adapter work ?

Robalo2718

Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well--does this pigtail exist on the 2021 1500???
I was able to find the same pigtail on my 2021 V6. The diagram posted by ammdrew on post #48 shows the exact location. The wire is white with purple stripe and capped with black plastic. The entire thing was covered by tape on my truck; I went to the location on the diagram and just started pulling tape off until I found it. I was confused at first thinking it was in with the wiring in the driver back taillight area - it is not. It is below that taillight area and there is no need to open the taillight area to get to the pigtail.

sandman98

Reaction score
I was able to find the same pigtail on my 2021 V6. The diagram posted by ammdrew on post #48 shows the exact location. The wire is white with purple stripe and capped with black plastic. The entire thing was covered by tape on my truck; I went to the location on the diagram and just started pulling tape off until I found it. I was confused at first thinking it was in with the wiring in the driver back taillight area - it is not. It is below that taillight area and there is no need to open the taillight area to get to the pigtail.
Thanks for the update. I'll look this weekend to see if I can locate it. Big help knowing where to start unwrapping...

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it in the approximate location as the one in this video? Granted, this is a 4th Gen but could give a frame of reference if in the same area you found on yours:

Users who are viewing this thread