5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chirp/Squeak from brand new Laramie Sport

Ribero

Reaction score
Hello, I also had this chirping and checked for the noise in all areas of the vehicle just like in the video. After complaining to my dealer, who was aware of the issue from other customers, the guide plates for the brake pads were given as the reason. You would smear these with anti squeak paste and it would be good. I then picked the vehicle up from the dealer, but the chirping could still be heard.

I took a look at it myself at home and was able to fix it permanently. Nothing is defective, and no parts need to be replaced. The workshop just didn't find or look at the right places. I think some of the posts here feel the same way.

How to fix it, for me the noise was in the front: jack up, wheel down, push back the caliper carefully and slightly. Unscrew the two screws from the brake caliper. Remove the brake caliper and tie it up so that the brake line is not stressed. Carefully remove the brake pads. Carefully clean the guide plates used without bending them. You can also take them out, it's easier that way. If you look closely at the brake pads and the sheet metal, you will notice spots where the material has rubbed against each other. This is where the noise comes from. Unfortunately, the workshop applied anti-squeak paste, but did not find the right spots for the squeaking. Look closely at the pictures, then you can see the small shiny spots on the sheet metal, as well as on the edges of the pads. The silver paste is the work of the dealer, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures afterwards. I cleaned everything well and coated these areas with the well-tried copper paste. I've actually always done this with every brake service for 30 years. I'm surprised that everything is installed dry from the factory, which is why customers have problems with it. But go ahead, put everything back in place and enjoy the smooth ride. A job when the wheel is already dismantled, takes less than 5 minutes, costs a few cents for the copper paste. Maybe a modern brake anti-squeak paste would be better, I didn't have any on hand and the copper paste has always worked for me. By the way, if you can also do something to the spark plug thread when changing it, it can always be easily loosened, but that's another topic.

Greetings from Germany, I hope it helps you to fix the problem yourself or give the tip to the workshop instead of driving there 3x in vain and getting angry.

Attachments

• IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 71

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Does it bother you like it bother me!? Like, am I being unreasonable?
I can assure you that you are not being unreasonable. I didn't have this particular issue but the issue I had was treated the same way, "we acknowledge the issue but we don't have a fix for it". That's why I lemon-lawed it.

Before doing that though, I did take it to another dealer and they too said they couldn't provide a remedy. Maybe give that a try and hopefully you can get resolution.

SalLamanna

Reaction score
Hello, I also had this chirping and checked for the noise in all areas of the vehicle just like in the video. After complaining to my dealer, who was aware of the issue from other customers, the guide plates for the brake pads were given as the reason. You would smear these with anti squeak paste and it would be good. I then picked the vehicle up from the dealer, but the chirping could still be heard.

I took a look at it myself at home and was able to fix it permanently. Nothing is defective, and no parts need to be replaced. The workshop just didn't find or look at the right places. I think some of the posts here feel the same way.

How to fix it, for me the noise was in the front: jack up, wheel down, push back the caliper carefully and slightly. Unscrew the two screws from the brake caliper. Remove the brake caliper and tie it up so that the brake line is not stressed. Carefully remove the brake pads. Carefully clean the guide plates used without bending them. You can also take them out, it's easier that way. If you look closely at the brake pads and the sheet metal, you will notice spots where the material has rubbed against each other. This is where the noise comes from. Unfortunately, the workshop applied anti-squeak paste, but did not find the right spots for the squeaking. Look closely at the pictures, then you can see the small shiny spots on the sheet metal, as well as on the edges of the pads. The silver paste is the work of the dealer, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures afterwards. I cleaned everything well and coated these areas with the well-tried copper paste. I've actually always done this with every brake service for 30 years. I'm surprised that everything is installed dry from the factory, which is why customers have problems with it. But go ahead, put everything back in place and enjoy the smooth ride. A job when the wheel is already dismantled, takes less than 5 minutes, costs a few cents for the copper paste. Maybe a modern brake anti-squeak paste would be better, I didn't have any on hand and the copper paste has always worked for me. By the way, if you can also do something to the spark plug thread when changing it, it can always be easily loosened, but that's another topic.

Greetings from Germany, I hope it helps you to fix the problem yourself or give the tip to the workshop instead of driving there 3x in vain and getting angry.
Wow bro thank you so much

SalLamanna

Reaction score

Hey bro just wanted to say thank you. Brought my truck to my personal mechanic and had him do exactly what you did. Chirp is gone!

MontFla

Reaction score
Glad to see an awesome outcome!!! No not unreasonable to be mad. But they will not lemon law the truck because the dealer said they acknowledge it but cannot fix it! Even though the comment may not have been the best verbiage.

Meadem

Reaction score
Mine did that for the first couple thousand miles, especially when it was cold out, haven’t heard it since

SalLamanna

Reaction score

Update. Drove around town for a while and the chirp is back but luckily not as bad. Super annoying

Ribero

Reaction score
Then maybe you have a job that was not good to see where it rubs overlook. I even made a little copper paste under the sheets before installation. Also inside where the brake pads in the groove are guided something. But the real noise comes from rubbing the sheets on the coverings. Too bad, looks again

Last edited:

jastevenson

Reaction score
I also have an issue with a chirp over bumps. Hard to tell where it is coming from.

Sspearsau

Reaction score
Add me to the list. My 2022 Limited 2WD has the chirp on certain bumps (brick road not bad, but any recessed areas in the road I get the chirp.

Sounds like it is a brake clip issue. Interesting on the wire tie, however, mine is pretty distinct from the front left wheel. I get a clear listen of it from my driver’s seat.

Has anyone had luck with a dealer acknowledging the issue? I plan to have them take a look at first oil change. I’m at a 1,000 miles now.

jastevenson

Reaction score
For those who say it is a brake clip issue, how can you tell…is it louder with the window down? My chirp is louder with the windows closed, so I assume it is not a brake clip?

peroxide

Reaction score
Have you all checked the driver’s side wiper arm? Mine was chirping over sharp bumps, and when I pulled it back and forth, I noticed a little play in the arm and it made the same chirping noise.

I took the lock but off with a 5/8 socket and sprayed a bunch of PB lubricant. Then I ran the wipers so the lubricant spread around. The chirp was gone.

There are a couple of chirps on these trucks, so this one was mine. You may have a different one.

Users who are viewing this thread