5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chirp/Squeak from brand new Laramie Sport

RamLink83

Reaction score
For those that have this chirp sound, have you tried going under the truck and shaking the exhaust system. Perhaps its one of the exhaust hangers or heat shields. I know my truck has a heat shield vibration on idle every now and then. I've been under the truck and tried to fix it. I got it to stop temporarily but now it is back to vibrating again. Next time Im in for service, I'm gonna have them look at it and see what they can do.

SJC5

Reaction score
I ordered a 2021 Laramie too and it would drive me crazy if I heard that under any circumstances. I hate "body integrity" issues as it usually means not good "fit and finish". @fmurphy92 do you have the Off-Road option, airbags or standard suspension? Thanks.

fmurphy92

Reaction score
For those that have this chirp sound, have you tried going under the truck and shaking the exhaust system. Perhaps its one of the exhaust hangers or heat shields. I know my truck has a heat shield vibration on idle every now and then. I've been under the truck and tried to fix it. I got it to stop temporarily but now it is back to vibrating again. Next time Im in for service, I'm gonna have them look at it and see what they can do.
I haven’t been under the truck and I kind of refuse to do it considering it’s only a couple weeks old!

fmurphy92

Reaction score
I ordered a 2021 Laramie too and it would drive me crazy if I heard that under any circumstances. I hate "body integrity" issues as it usually means not good "fit and finish". @fmurphy92 do you have the Off-Road option, airbags or standard suspension? Thanks.
Standard suspension. I don’t think it’s the suspension though, I do believe it has to do with the brakes.

CJR28

Reaction score
My truck also has the chirp although not as bad as that. Its noticeable over bumps and potholes and at first I thought it was suspension related.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the exact same chirp / Exact same frequency.
2020 Limited.
Betting one of us will figure out what it is soon. It sounds like it’s easily fixable once we can determine the source.
Mine is 4x4. Anyone have a 4x2 making this noise?

fmurphy92

Reaction score
I have the exact same chirp / Exact same frequency.
2020 Limited.
Betting one of us will figure out what it is soon. It sounds like it’s easily fixable once we can determine the source.
Mine is 4x4. Anyone have a 4x2 making this noise?
We shouldn’t be figuring anything out!! It’s unacceptable to pay that much for a vehicle with issues!

puba08

Reaction score
Mine squeaks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We shouldn’t be figuring anything out!! It’s unacceptable to pay that much for a vehicle with issues!
I’m guessing you haven’t owned many new vehicles?(not being sarcastic)
I had not one, but two brand new GMC Sierras bought back a few years ago due to 5.3l engine issues. Had many issues with new F150’s too. (not as bad as the GMC’s). This is just a squeak. We’ll figure it out. These are assembly line vehicles not custom shop hand builts.
No car maker is immune to upset customers. This is my 1st Ram and I’m more concerned what the low frequency intermittent rumble/flutter noise is in the back seat area at 37-39mph with all windows closed. It’s not the ANC I unplugged that and it still does it. Does it with MDS disabled too. But I digress.....

CHONRAM

Reaction score
Please keep this thread updated with possible fixes, my 2020 big horn 4x4 has this not quite as bad as OP but still annoying since I barely cracked 1k miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrsteeno

Reaction score
2020 Laramie Sport and I have the same noise. Haven’t taken it to the dealer yet.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let’s first rule out anything having to do with the 4wd system.
Does anyone with a 2wd have this squeak?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 sounded exactly like that and reminded me of an old Chevy with squeaky springs going down the road. NO new vehicle should sound like that. This, the steering issue of not returning to center and other “nuances” were enough to make me move on because Ram, their servicing dealers and even Ramcares here demonstrated that they do not know how to fix or even set the course to fix the issues. They rushed the 5th gen. to production, all the while maintaining some nuances from the 4th gen. like the whistling vent. ;)

The 5th gen. is still what I consider the best looking truck, especially inside but the nuances quickly overshadow the enjoyment. Since moving on....and it has nothing to do with the brand or vehicle I bought, I just drive and enjoy my vehicle without issue because that is what you get when you buy a new vehicle....except Ram of course.

The Critic

Reaction score
Like this?

I traced my noise to the driver rear shock assembly. I tightened the top nut of the shock a bit more and the noise is greatly reduced. I had the dealer look at mine but of course they were unable to reproduce the noise.

Last edited:

fmurphy92

Reaction score
Like this?

I traced my noise to the driver rear shock assembly. I tightened the top of the shock a bit more and the noise is greatly reduced. I had the dealer look at mine but of course they were unable to reproduce the noise.
I’m glad you figured out your issue, but that isn’t what mine sound like. Yours is what I would chalk a squeak and mine is what I would call a chirp

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like this?

I traced my noise to the driver rear shock assembly. I tightened the top of the shock a bit more and the noise is greatly reduced. I had the dealer look at mine but of course they were unable to reproduce the noise.
While that is definitely an irritating noise that needs to be dealt with, this thread concerns a different squeak that only happens when rolling down the road and hitting jarring bumps. Even mildly jarring bumps. Listen to OP’s vid for a perfect example of the sound.

Last edited:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just saw this post on reddit. Someone on there mentions that there may be a STAR case regarding this issue:
That's the OP of this thread. Same video.
I am really feeling like it's part of the exhaust system by the sound. I crawled under my 2020 Limited yesterday and grabbed and shook the exhaust system from motor to tail pipes. Nada, nothing. Perhaps the exhaust needs to be heated up before it makes the noise?
I also haven't ruled out the 4wd components underneath. Nobody has confirmed this squeak with a 2wd truck yet.
It's not the power running boards because some are reporting the noise without them.
Anyone have the ability to put theirs on a lift and really shake stuff underneath?

Users who are viewing this thread