5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargomaxx HD coils

I’ll keep you updated for sure. I’m hoping I will notice a change this time around. So far the best change I have notice out of all the ones I have done to all my rams has been the 5100’s. Idk why I never did this to previous trucks.

I also much prefer heavy duty coils over airlift 1000’s too. One less thing to remember to mess with.

The motofab 1” rear spacers were also super easy to install. Disconnected sway bar links and shock bolt and they popped right in. (Would have preferred not having spacers but can’t find HD coils that fit like oem)

I wish the 893’s didn’t lift 2” for 5th gen rams.

I’ll keep you updated for sure. I’m hoping I will notice a change this time around. So far the best change I have notice out of all the ones I have done to all my rams has been the 5100’s. Idk why I never did this to previous trucks.

I also much prefer heavy duty coils over airlift 1000’s too. One less thing to remember to mess with.

The motofab 1” rear spacers were also super easy to install. Disconnected sway bar links and shock bolt and they popped right in. (Would have preferred not having spacers but can’t find HD coils that fit like oem)

I wish the 893’s didn’t lift 2” for 5th gen rams.
How would you describe what the 5100s did for you? I found a complete set on sale and im willing to grab them, i just dont want to open a can of worms like i have a mess of times with jeeps.

How would you describe what the 5100s did for you? I found a complete set on sale and im willing to grab them, i just dont want to open a can of worms like i have a mess of times with jeeps.
For sure less body roll and a bit more firm. The OEM felt floaty and less connected. Don’t get me wrong the OEM are great for daily driving and and comfort but at the cost of bounce. Going over a speed bump it just keeps going up and down. The 5100’s settle out much faster.

First test if the 893s today

Day of install
F- 36 3/8
R- 39 1/2

Full tongue
F- 37 3/8
R- 37 1/2

Wdh
F-36 3/4
R- 38

They felt just as good as the 891s. I may have to move my Hellwig to the strongest setting just because I’m up an inch and some change in the rear, but even in the middle setting, the truck felt great pulling.

Unloaded
IMG_4436.jpeg

With WDH
IMG_4443.jpeg

Are you planning to try out the XHD’s? Also are you getting any bobbing effect while towing with the HDs?

I’m excited to hook to camper for the first time with new truck tonight so I will post up my measurements to compare my differences.

My Hellwig 7793 should be here tomorrow according to tracking.

Last edited:
Are you planning to try out the XHD’s? Also are you getting any bobbing effect while towing with the HDs?

I’m excited to hook to camper for the first time with new truck tonight so I will post up my measurements to compare my differences.

My Hellwig 7793 should be here tomorrow according to tracking.
No bobbing or “porpoiseing” it bounces once like its supposed to and then levels back out. It did the same with the 891s and the 893s.

I have no doubt the XHDs would sag less underload. But I would honestly be afraid the daily driving ride would suffer too much. I haven’t given the XHDs much of a look, but if they increase load carrying capacity only exists because of an extra coil or two at the top, but it’s still rides the same then they would probably be magic. Id also be concerned with the fact that XHDs will probably lift the rear more than Id want.

as it stands the HD springs ride so nice I don’t think I’ll even bother trying out anything else.

My measurements put me at an inch difference between my front and my rear without using the airlift assist bags whatsoever. If I wanted a little more, I could inflate them to 8 or 12 psi. But I was really impressed with how the rake these springs give me while towing made the steering wheel feel almost like it does with daily driving.

Last edited:
Unloaded
F: 36 1/2
R: 40

Full Tongue
F: 37 1/2
R: 38

WDH
F: 37 1/4
R: 38 1/2

I set the bars on the propride wdh at 3” long. I think if I go to 2” long that will get me F: 36 3/4 and R: 39”

The 30 mile drive home from storage the truck felt good. No sway until I hit around 64mph. It was only 2-3mph winds this evening though. But over all pleased with how it handled.

Had tires set to 42 psi but the Tire sidewalls flex a lot which may be contributing to that little bit of sway.

We will see how this trip goes once I get the hellwig installed. It got too dark on me once I got it loaded so was unable to get pics.

5.7l 1500 vs 6.4l 2500 ….. the 1500 likes to downshift often and dropped to 5th a couple times to make it up some long slopes. The 2500 would drop a single gear and would just tug along. Definitely a difference in power but handling wise with the HD coils they felt very similar. Maybe a little more spongy on the 1500. Hoping by tightening up the wdh it will take care of that.

If I can get the front back to normal and the rear to come up a little then a 2” level would be perfect.

IMG_1975.jpeg

Posted in the wrong thread but if y’all are ok I don’t mind leaving it here too.

Unloaded
F: 36 1/2
R: 40

Full Tongue
F: 37 1/2
R: 38

WDH
F: 37 1/4
R: 38 1/2

I set the bars on the propride wdh at 3” long. I think if I go to 2” long that will get me F: 36 3/4 and R: 39”

The 30 mile drive home from storage the truck felt good. No sway until I hit around 64mph. It was only 2-3mph winds this evening though. But over all pleased with how it handled.

Had tires set to 42 psi but the Tire sidewalls flex a lot which may be contributing to that little bit of sway.

We will see how this trip goes once I get the hellwig installed. It got too dark on me once I got it loaded so was unable to get pics.

5.7l 1500 vs 6.4l 2500 ….. the 1500 likes to downshift often and dropped to 5th a couple times to make it up some long slopes. The 2500 would drop a single gear and would just tug along. Definitely a difference in power but handling wise with the HD coils they felt very similar. Maybe a little more spongy on the 1500. Hoping by tightening up the wdh it will take care of that.

If I can get the front back to normal and the rear to come up a little then a 2” level would be perfect.

View attachment 190337
Its interesting that even with different HD rear coils, we both had a similar and result between daily driving measurements and full weight measurements. we both dropped 2 inches in the rear and went up 1 inch on the front with the full tongue.

I’m considering the 350-893xhd. The non variable version.

The variable version will drop 2” before the extra load part of the coil kicks in. That way you retain your stock ride.

I want firmness right from the top.

I’m considering the 350-893xhd. The non variable version.

The variable version will drop 2” before the extra load part of the coil kicks in. That way you retain your stock ride.

I want firmness right from the top.
Now that IS an interesting idea..I wonder if the 891 has a similar none variable rate set. The 891s were basically stock height for me. Id be interested in how the non-variable rate ones would ride all the time, though. Since they are designed for constant load, I would imagine they might be a little harsh.

I ordered the 5100s today and will use one ring up on the front struts to take a little rake out when they arrive.

Now that IS an interesting idea..I wonder if the 891 has a similar none variable rate set. The 891s were basically stock height for me. Id be interested in how the non-variable rate ones would ride all the time, though. Since they are designed for constant load, I would imagine they might be a little harsh.

I ordered the 5100s today and will use one ring up on the front struts to take a little rake out when they arrive.
My 1211’s are non variable and it stiffened up but not as bad as the 2500.
The stock coils were also non-variable on my truck too.

Man I hate quoting myself haha feels pretentious

I looked and they do have the constant rate 891s. But when you look at the question and answer part, I found this response interesting. It lends itself to me thinking that using these as daily springs would be one heck of a harsh ride.

IMG_4449.png

This also lends its self the the 2in of drop with full tongue on the variable rate springs. The added capacity kicks it after 1in of squat.

If you dont end up testing it @Milly I probably will. The prices are great, only thing id need to explore is the return policy.

My 1211’s are non variable and it stiffened up but not as bad as the 2500.
The stock coils were also non-variable on my truck too.
Did your 1211s advertise a spring rate? The constant rate 891HDs say 300lbs per coil with a 2,400lbs capacity. Is that similar to yours? Since yours still dropped 2in it would be a good baseline for understanding what spring rates do under load with these trucks.

Edit

I answered my own question by look to your post on page 3.

Oem- 200lbs
1211s- 300lbs
891s - 300lbs (none progressive)
893s- 405lbs (none progressive)

Both of the 893HD and XHD say they provide 1 inch to one and a half inches of lift. So hypothetically, they wouldn’t change the ride height they would only engage sooner perhaps? Either way I’m slowly selling myself on getting the 893XHDs and trying them 🤦‍♂️

God help my bank account. I’m falling right back into my old JEEP habits.

Last edited:
Did your 1211s advertise a spring rate? The constant rate 891HDs say 300lbs per coil with a 2,400lbs capacity. Is that similar to yours? Since yours still dropped 2in it would be a good baseline for understanding what spring rates do under load with these trucks.

Edit

I answered my own question by look to your post on page 3.

Oem- 200lbs
1211s- 300lbs
891s - 300lbs (none progressive)
893s- 405lbs (none progressive)

Both of the 893HD and XHD say they provide 1 inch to one and a half inches of lift. So hypothetically, they wouldn’t change the ride height they would only engage sooner perhaps? Either way I’m slowly selling myself on getting the 893XHDs and trying them 🤦‍♂️

God help my bank account. I’m falling right back into my old JEEP habits.

Start an eBay account haha!

I’m in the same boat as you though. It’s fun to try new things and see how it all reacts.

What year is your truck? I know on my 2024 the 893xhd’s would raise the rear 2” and the 905xhd’s would raise the rear 2.5”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back