5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargomaxx HD coils

I'm just giving an heads up. When on a lift with rear end at full drop the springs are not in contact with the upper isolator. When I lower my truck when I have it in the hoist, as soon as the tires make contact with the ground I make sure they are going to seat correctly. It's just advice I have, it is the only negative I have seen. I used the 351-893HD springs on my truck.
thanks for that! Ill be sure to tell the service folks at my dealership to be cognizant of them if the truck goes on a lift.

Now I am curious if the coils specifically made for the 2019+ are taller to avoid the loss of contact with the isolator?

Ram 1500 Coil Spring Insulators (Pair)

simcoe sells isolators for some model years to go with the springs, but im not sure if this is because you NEED a larger one or the earlier models just dont have one or something.

I sent an email to Simcoe earlier asking about them coming out the isolators like @Cbty2050 has experienced.

Tufftruck also sells isolators for 2019 and up trucks. I got them and installed them in place of the factory ones. I think they are made to fit the coils better

I am very interested in these Cargomaxx coils. I just purchased a 2024 1500 Laramie specifically to tow my new TT that weighs 7500lbs with 800lb tongue weight. Stock, the truck squatted almost to the point of bottoming out when I brought the camper home. I purchased the AirLift 1000 bags and installed them. Pumped them up to 45lbs and even with my WD hitch the truck still squatted a little over 3 inches. So now I looking for a better solution and expect these coils to be it. I am looking at the +70% coils as I feel it would be the best for my situation.

Thoughts!!

Last edited:
I am very interested in these Cargomaxx coils. I just purchased a 2024 1500 Laramie specifically to tow my new TT that weighs 7500lbs with 800lb tongue weight. Stock, the truck squatted almost to the point of bottoming out when I brought the camper home. I purchased the AirLift 1000 bags and installed them. Pumped them up to 45lbs and even with my WD hitch the truck still squatted a little over 3 inches. So now I looking for a better solution and expect these coils to be it. I am looking at the +70% coils as I feel it would be the best for my situation.

Thoughts!!
I would question who adjusted your WDH also. The squat is supposed to be adjust out as much as possible. This is done by measuring the change in tire to top of fender well gap as you adjust the WDH up and down. Once you get the difference to be mostly split, you should have a good balance between the two. This is also dependent on tongue weight, but 7500 should be more optimized than what you are describing.

Keep in mind that the last time I did this, it was with an F150.

Thoughts!!
I think the coils you are thinking about are going to be too much and may ruin your unloaded ride.

You also might try sumo springs, without the spacer, and maybe chamfered a bit for the unloaded ride. They add spring rate as they are loaded.

I will look at tweaking my WDH setup a little more before purchasing the new coils. I have the model with chains and am already using the 5th loop which I hear is as low as you should go. I also might be able to make some adjustments with my ball height. Appreciate your comments.

I will look at tweaking my WDH setup a little more before purchasing the new coils. I have the model with chains and am already using the 5th loop which I hear is as low as you should go. I also might be able to make some adjustments with my ball height. Appreciate your comments.

Adjust with the ball height. You want the gap for the front tires to be half of what it is with no trailer vs trailer without WDH. So basically put the trailer on the hitch directly and measure first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First round of measurements now that the spings have settled back to my normal ride height.

I still get a lot of squat with the full tongue, but the truck sits about 1/2in higher in the rear. And sits 3/8in higher with the wdh on. Not a MASSIVE improvement, but certainly something.

I was rushing since i was loosing the light but ill redo the measurements on Friday.

Where i really noticed the new springs was with the drive. The truck felt just as good as a 2500 in my opinion. I was planted and well in control and it didn’t bounce all over the place… But it wasn’t as rigid as a 3500, or as rigid as the timbrens made it.

If the measurements stay the same ill likely keep these in and not try the 893’s i have. I dont particularly want the lifted rear look and the truck handling the 720-750lbs tongue like it did is impressive IMO.

Ill also try and see what the airlift bags do when I pull this weekend.

No weight
IMG_4364.jpeg

Full tongue
IMG_4365.jpeg

WDH engaged, no airlift bags
IMG_4366.jpeg

So I did an oil change today first time putting the truck on the lift since I put these coils in and yes they did drop down out of the top insulator maybe 1/4" but there's nothing to watch for or be careful of because once you lower it back down, they go right back up in, as long as you don't turn the coil, it should go right back no issues

They're progressive so no difference in ride unloaded
From the website "Fixes the "sagging" caused by most Commercial use towing, hauling and permanent loads like fuel tanks and tool boxes".

They are intended for a loaded ride.

Correct
From the website "Fixes the "sagging" caused by most Commercial use towing, hauling and permanent loads like fuel tanks and tool boxes".

They are intended for a loaded ride.
Interesting, they are the standard rate like the HDs so they should ride the same. They even said they should ride the same when I asked 🤷🏻‍♂️

Correct

Interesting, they are the standard rate like the HDs so they should ride the same. They even said they should ride the same when I asked 🤷🏻‍♂️
Idk, I am absolutely happy with the springs I installed. I find the ride loaded and unloaded better than timbrens and air lift springs.

I am very interested in these Cargomaxx coils. I just purchased a 2024 1500 Laramie specifically to tow my new TT that weighs 7500lbs with 800lb tongue weight. Stock, the truck squatted almost to the point of bottoming out when I brought the camper home. I purchased the AirLift 1000 bags and installed them. Pumped them up to 45lbs and even with my WD hitch the truck still squatted a little over 3 inches. So now I looking for a better solution and expect these coils to be it. I am looking at the +70% coils as I feel it would be the best for my situatio

So after finding virtually no feedback, posts or anything about the Dayton cargomaxx HD springs, I figured I'd be the ginneau pig and check them out for myself and for you guys.
for the full install and iverview, please check out the video i made!
Here it goes.

So let me clear up why I went with them and not the Tufftrucks or any of the others, the only reason is because they're the only coils that I could find that offer enough lift for what I need. I needed exactly 1" of rear lift which my Eibach springs gave me but the eibachs didn't have the extra load capacity. So I found these cargomaxx springs. The ones I installed, part number 351893HD are actually designed for 4th gens but work on 5th gens. These are the standard 35% load increase which give non ORP/Rebel trucks 1" of lift at 35% load increase. They have an XHD variant which gives 2" lift on the 5th gens and 70% load increase but 2" is too much, said no woman ever. These gave me exactly 1" which is what I needed!

They do offer stock height springs with 35% load increase btw. Now for 5th gen specific springs, they have again, an HD and HXD variant but both of those give 2.5" of lift (subtract 1" for orp or rebels) which is too much. So I went with the 1" 4th gen springs. Incase you're wondering, yep it works! They fit like factory.

Onto the fun stuff, with the eibach springs (stock springs would be the same as far as how much sag there is) without the trailer hooked up, it was 14" from the top of the wheel to the bottom lip of the box side, and with the trailer attached (4,000lbs) the truck sagged 2.5". It went from 14" to 11.5"!

With the Cargomaxx 35% increase springs, I still have that 14" of gap and once I hooked the same trailer up, the truck only lowered 1"! It went from 14" to 13". A massive improvement.

Now for ride, they are variable rate. They ride great, definitely stiffer over bumps but nothing to be concerned with if you are wanting these and unsure of ride. Trust me, between my F ply tires and these, it's totally bearable. They ride like stock until you hit a bump.and then you can feel the stiffness but again, it's not out of this world by any means. I also installed some bilstein 5100 rear shocks as well.

Now for pictures, the first picture, the top pic is unloaded with the cargomaxx springs and the bottom pic is with the 4,000lb trailer hooked up.

Next picture Is with the trailer hooked up with the eibachs, look at that wheel to fender gap!

The 3rd picture is with the Dayton coils, much more gap!
This is the thread I have been searching for! Was the 351-893HD the same length as the stock oems?

I did the 1211’s but looking for a slight lift in the rear.

Edit: I have a 2024 Laramie non ORP.

This is the thread I have been searching for! Was the 351-893HD the same length as the stock oems?

I did the 1211’s but looking for a slight lift in the rear.

Edit: I have a 2024 Laramie non ORP.
Funny timing! I had the 891s in and used them for a trip. Then I installed the 893s today.

891 vs oem
IMG_4329.jpeg

893 vs oem
IMG_4391.jpeg

891 vs 893
IMG_4392.jpeg

So far my rear heights are

Oem - 38in - 38 1/4in

891s - 38 3/4in

893s - 39 1/2in

So over all 1 1/2in up in the rear. IMO its not really noticeable at all in appearance, the difference between the 891 and 893.

They both ride amazing on the highway, honestly its how the truck SHOULD have rode oem.

I was BLOWN AWAY with the feel of towing with the 891s. But i ran into two issues…

First is that my front end went up, which makes me suspect that the wdh needs to be readjusted post spring install since it sits at 37in, which is close to what the front end as at with oem springs and full TT weight.

Second is that the rear sat at 37 1/2 when i first hooked the trailer on. Then after the 78 mile trip the rear measured 37in even, the same as the front. Not sure why this is, perhaps the springs needed to settle? 🤷‍♂️

I have a trip in two weeks and will re do all the measurements then. Which will give these 893s some normal driving time to possibly “settle”. When i say settle im talking about how springs are always a little taller after theyre on a lift or something and can relax without the constant load, and sorta sag back to their intended rode height once their under their normal constant load.

Hope this makes sense and helps someone!

Wdh+891s (sits level 37im front/rear)
IMG_4388.jpeg

Last edited:
That was exactly what I have been searching for. I’m thinking I may do the 893XHD’s. Your explanation of it feeling like a 2500/3500 is what I’m looking for when towing. I appreciate the side by side pics too. I’ll keep watching to see how your next trip goes. Interested to see what difference it makes.

I put in the tuftruck 1211’s and the ride stiffened up but the coil was so much smaller that I worry it will fall out when I get an oil changed or tire rotate.

Is your 893’s the HD’s or XHD’s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back