5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargomaxx HD coils

That was exactly what I have been searching for. I’m thinking I may do the 893XHD’s. Your explanation of it feeling like a 2500/3500 is what I’m looking for when towing. I appreciate the side by side pics too. I’ll keep watching to see how your next trip goes. Interested to see what difference it makes.

I put in the tuftruck 1211’s and the ride stiffened up but the coil was so much smaller that I worry it will fall out when I get an oil changed or tire rotate.

Is your 893’s the HD’s or XHD’s?
The HDs. I think the XHDs will be far too stiff for my liking, but thats just a guess. Just thinking it through if theyre rated to increase payload by %70 vs the %35 of the HDs, id be concerned they do that by sacrificing ride comfort. Especially considering they offer twice the capacity increase. But they MAY do that by adding another loop or two to the top part that compresses under heavy loads. 🤷‍♂️

As far as the springs coming out with it on a lift. At least one member has confirmed that they will come out a little. I’m not sure if that will end up translating to being a problem or not… But it is certainly not something I considered when I started down to this adventure.

This is the thread I have been searching for! Was the 351-893HD the same length as the stock oems?

I did the 1211’s but looking for a slight lift in the rear.

Edit: I have a 2024 Laramie non ORP.
So they are shorter than the stocks but they do give 1" lift for non ORP trucks

The HDs. I think the XHDs will be far too stiff for my liking, but thats just a guess. Just thinking it through if theyre rated to increase payload by %70 vs the %35 of the HDs, id be concerned they do that by sacrificing ride comfort. Especially considering they offer twice the capacity increase. But they MAY do that by adding another loop or two to the top part that compresses under heavy loads. 🤷‍♂️

As far as the springs coming out with it on a lift. At least one member has confirmed that they will come out a little. I’m not sure if that will end up translating to being a problem or not… But it is certainly not something I considered when I started down to this adventure.
Yep that was me, I threw the truck on the lift the other day, they drop less than 1/2 and inch. Absolutely nothing to be worried about. They don't fall out, they just drop out of the isolator a tick but as long as you don't touch the coil, once you lower the truck back down, they go right back to their homes.

Attachments

• 20240914_092725.jpg
    20240914_092725.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 11
I am still a bit undecided on all this. For now I’m going to stick with the 1211’s but going to install a 1” riser. Should be here Friday. Also going to toss on a set of timbrens too.

I’m waiting until next week for the official test as I’m going to go pick up the camper to get it ready for our final trip of the year.

Depending on how it goes I may end up trying out the 893XHD next year. I’m not a fan of sag when towing and I especially don’t like when there’s a dip in the road and the truck bottoms out and gets all bouncy.

For the front I’m going to do the ORP springs with 5100’s. (Clip 3) Should net me around 2” in the front.

For reference I called tuftruck and they stated that oem is 200lbs per inch drop and the 1211’s are 300lbs per inch drop and a gen 4 2500 is 400lbs per inch. This is per rear coil.

This is why I’m still thinking that the XHD’s being 70% more would handle the camper weight better. My math puts this around 350lbs per inch drop per coil. With this math it would mean my camper would only cause 1” - 1 1/4” of sag without the wdh.

My concern with going XHD’s is it would cause 2” of lift and I haven’t done enough research on if that would mean changing out other parts to keep everything in line.

Just so everyone knows I’m in a 2024 Laramie non ORP. Coming from a 4th gen 2500. The 2500 was an amazing truck for towing but for daily driving was not the best experience and the family missed the larger cab of the 5th gen 1500.

Current truck. IMG_1937.jpeg

Last edited:
I am still a bit undecided on all this. For now I’m going to stick with the 1211’s but going to install a 1” riser. Should be here Friday. Also going to toss on a set of timbrens too.

I’m waiting until next week for the official test as I’m going to go pick up the camper to get it ready for our final trip of the year.

Depending on how it goes I may end up trying out the 893XHD next year. I’m not a fan of sag when towing and I especially don’t like when there’s a dip in the road and the truck bottoms out and gets all bouncy.

For the front I’m going to do the ORP springs with 5100’s. (Clip 3) Should net me around 2” in the front.

For reference I called tuftruck and they stated that oem is 200lbs per inch drop and the 1211’s are 300lbs per inch drop and a gen 4 2500 is 400lbs per inch. This is per rear coil.

This is why I’m still thinking that the XHD’s being 70% more would handle the camper weight better. My math puts this around 350lbs per inch drop per coil. With this math it would mean my camper would only cause 1” - 1 1/4” of sag without the wdh.

My concern with going XHD’s is it would cause 2” of lift and I haven’t done enough research on if that would mean changing out other parts to keep everything in line.

Just so everyone knows I’m in a 2024 Laramie non ORP. Coming from a 4th gen 2500. The 2500 was an amazing truck for towing but for daily driving was not the best experience and the family missed the larger cab of the 5th gen 1500.

Current truck. View attachment 189992
Im leery of timbrens anymore…after seeing some skuttlebut about them possibly damaging frames, and then having a set in and %100 hating the tooth rattling feel of hitting minor road bumps and feeling them engage..im going all in on the spring+hellwig combo.

If the 1211s are similar to these cargomax ones youll love the ride while towing, and i sincerely hope you do. All these springs add up 🤦‍♂️ im looking at MAYBE 1/2in spacers in the front to level out the 1 1/4in or so im up in the rear. Im sure theyll land at only 1in lift in the rear aftet I tow with them.

I’ve been eyeing up the Hellwig too but in previous rams I was never really sure it changed anything.

I did see hellwig came out with an even beefier sway bar so I might give that a try.

I feel like most people changing suspension are looking for a softer ride and better for off-road. But I’m looking for a firmer more planted feeling. Most off-road I do is an occasional gravel road to get to the camp site in an rv park.

So far I have been very pleased with the coil and shock change. It has definitely reduced body roll in roundabouts but they’re not so firm they jar you around.

I’ve been eyeing up the Hellwig too but in previous rams I was never really sure it changed anything.

I did see hellwig came out with an even beefier sway bar so I might give that a try.

I feel like most people changing suspension are looking for a softer ride and better for off-road. But I’m looking for a firmer more planted feeling. Most off-road I do is an occasional gravel road to get to the camp site in an rv park.

So far I have been very pleased with the coil and shock change. It has definitely reduced body roll in roundabouts but they’re not so firm they jar you around.
The hellwig is a massive improvement in how the truck feels on the road. With how inexpensive it is I did it first and have kept mine in the middle of the three holes, and its night and day better over the oem one. If you’re at all on the fence with it just pull the trigger. You wont be mad.

Id have to look but i dont have the thickest one they make. Some where on the forum it was posted that the regular one is stiffer in all three settings. And the thicker bar at its lowest setting is stiffer than the commonly used bar at its highest setting… I tried this bar at its highest setting and it’s pretty stiff. I couldn’t imagine needing the super thick one.

I caved and ordered the Hellwig 7793… I spent the evening reading through every post and people rave about them. Ordered through Amazon for next day delivery.

I used Timbrens for a few months, awful. Terrible ride when loaded. I don't how anyone can think they are good.
I haven’t installed mine yet but after doing more reading I am seeing others state similar.

Do they just feel like your suspension is bottomed out when towing?

I just realized that it’s rude of me to have continued conversations on this thread when it isn’t related directly to the topic. It just seems we are all in a similar situation so it’s been helpful navigating what we are all trying and doing.

I haven’t installed mine yet but after doing more reading I am seeing others state similar.

Do they just feel like your suspension is bottomed out when towing?

I just realized that it’s rude of me to have continued conversations on this thread when it isn’t related directly to the topic. It just seems we are all in a similar situation so it’s been helpful navigating what we are all trying and doing.
The best way i can describe them is just ROUGH. With normal driving you dont know theyre in there until you hit a small bump in the road and instead of a nice smooth down and up movement with the springs (oem OR cargomax) the new tow bump stops hit and it feels like you either bottomed out the suspension or hit a huge bump. After one drive with them i was willing to believe the claims of frame damage. I towed with them once just to be sure. The TT definitely stayed level and felt okay initially.…but the truck rode like a 3500 and i legitimately couldn’t take a sip of my coffee without spilling it unless the road was perfectly smooth. The bump stops transferred every little imperfection in the road into the truck and made for a truly unpleasant ride, and reinforced the anecdotal belief that they cause frame problems.

I also tried some sumo spring bump stops i had on my gladiator and they were okay, but didnt do the trick at keeping the ride smooth.

Truly the cargomax + hellwig is the best overall combo ive found to date.

I still have my airlift assist bags in these cargomax springs. But found the 891 springs road better without them inflated at all. 🤦‍♂️ even with the bags at 12psi they seemed to inhibit the springs. I have no info to back that belief up, just seat and steering feel.

Im really looking forward to grabbing the TT next week to give these 893s a go.

The best way i can describe them is just ROUGH. With normal driving you dont know theyre in there until you hit a small bump in the road and instead of a nice smooth down and up movement with the springs (oem OR cargomax) the new tow bump stops hit and it feels like you either bottomed out the suspension or hit a huge bump. After one drive with them i was willing to believe the claims of frame damage. I towed with them once just to be sure. The TT definitely stayed level and felt okay initially.…but the truck rode like a 3500 and i legitimately couldn’t take a sip of my coffee without spilling it unless the road was perfectly smooth. The bump stops transferred every little imperfection in the road into the truck and made for a truly unpleasant ride, and reinforced the anecdotal belief that they cause frame problems.

I also tried some sumo spring bump stops i had on my gladiator and they were okay, but didnt do the trick at keeping the ride smooth.

I still have my airlift assist bags in these cargomax springs. But found the 891 springs road better without them inflated at all. 🤦‍♂️ even with the bags at 12psi they seemed to inhibit the springs. I have no info to back that belief up, just seat and steering feel.

I saw the cargomaxx springs on eBay are an extra 15% off right now. Really thinking I might pick up a set of XHD’s to test out. Discount makes them $200.

I pick up my camper this weekend so it will interesting to see how well the 1211’s and Hellwig 7793 do. It’s only about a 30 minute drive home from storage but I feel like that will give me a good idea if I want to try out the +70%.

I may start a thread under towing to track my progress and changes.

There is a hellwig that is 1" thick but I was told by moes performance that it is way overkill. He told me to stick with the 7/8" one that's like 280 bucks. It's a massive improvement

There is a hellwig that is 1" thick but I was told by moes performance that it is way overkill. He told me to stick with the 7/8" one that's like 280 bucks. It's a massive improvement

The only way I can see it being useful is a very limited group. Folks who have RTTs or those in bed campers for example.

Funny, I have the lightest sumo springs and feel like the posters above you - slams hard on bumps, can’t drink coffee. Sumo told me to put a big chamfer on them, and I will probably take out the ORP spacer as well. Yes, they will do even less then.

My rear 1” motofab spacers are installed. Now my rear coils are no longer loose when lifting the rear wheels off the ground. It really improved the look too.

Now I need to order the front 5100’s with orp’s to get the front leveled out.

My sway bar is delayed by shipping for some reason now so it isn’t coming until next week. But I ordered the 1” Hellwig. I plan to run it on its softest setting which shouldn’t be much more than the 7709 on its firmest setting.

My last ram 1500 was a 2020 bighorn and the 7709 on the middle hole had no effect that I was able to notice so that’s why I decided to go for the big one this time.

Funny, I have the lightest sumo springs and feel like the posters above you - slams hard on bumps, can’t drink coffee. Sumo told me to put a big chamfer on them, and I will probably take out the ORP spacer as well. Yes, they will do even less then.
You probably have/had the blue or black set that were marketed as for the ram and have that whole obnoxious bracket fiasco. The set that I have came from my jeep gladiator and were direct replacements for the bump stops in the gladiator. The ram and the gladiator share a lot of the same frame features so the gladiators bumps fit right in. So the ones I had were drastically smaller than the ones for the truck.

I also tried the ones for the ram truck and had the tooth jarring experience and removed / returned them as soon as I could.

IMG_3330.jpeg
The black foam gladiator sumos compared to a set of knock off amazon Timbrens i cut down to try and reduce engagement when going over road bumps. The cut helped, but they still engaged wayyy to often.

I MAY still put these sumos in just because i have them…not because i need them though.

My rear 1” motofab spacers are installed. Now my rear coils are no longer loose when lifting the rear wheels off the ground. It really improved the look too.

Now I need to order the front 5100’s with orp’s to get the front leveled out.

My sway bar is delayed by shipping for some reason now so it isn’t coming until next week. But I ordered the 1” Hellwig. I plan to run it on its softest setting which shouldn’t be much more than the 7709 on its firmest setting.

My last ram 1500 was a 2020 bighorn and the 7709 on the middle hole had no effect that I was able to notice so that’s why I decided to go for the big one this time.
Genuinely looking forward to reading your experience with the 1” bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back