5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boogielander Build

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
What a great trip and some amazing pics and memories.

FYI, You drove through my home town of Williams Lake, BC. I moved away in 2001 but I recognize many of the spots where you stopped for pics.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Wow, these have got to be some of the best, most beautiful, most bad *** RAM pictures ive seen, seriously. This is awesome. Glad you could share your journey with us man! Be safe!

boogielander

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Man what an awesome trip!!!! Keep up the uploads I’m loving it!
im running one day behind on all the posts lol
CG hosts love to put me at sites with tall trees blocking my starlink. and im also starting to think starlink has less satellites above 60degree North... because in the lower 48 i had no issues with connectivity even with tall trees.

boogielander

Reaction score
What a great trip and some amazing pics and memories.

FYI, You drove through my home town of Williams Lake, BC. I moved away in 2001 but I recognize many of the spots where you stopped for pics.
wow that's a long time ago!
it's a nice little town. being from a city i like smaller towns.

boogielander

Reaction score
So awesome! And as awesome as these photos are, I can't imagine how much more breathtaking the scenery is there in person. Enjoy it man! Keep us along for the journey!
thanks!
i'm enjoying it but the long driving days are kicking my *** lol
i should've left a month early so i don't have to get through everything before 9/15 when 90% of the places are closed for the year.

boogielander

Reaction score
Very nice trip, I envy you. The glaciers are magnificent. When you stand on one the ice can be a pure blue color and you are looking at water thats been frozen a long, long time.
yes! that's actually the activity for tomorrow.
i hope i get to see glacier pool!

boogielander

Reaction score
Day 9 - Crossed 60 Degree North
We crossed 60 Degree North today, saying goodbye to British Columbia and hello to Yukon.

But before we did that, we visited Boya Lake
IMG_6523.jpg
I'm not sure if this counts as an alpine lake, but the water is so clear and blue.
So beautiful. But a bit too windy.
IMG_6574.jpg
The sun was out, so the fish were hiding in the shadows under the floating pier.
IMG_6575.jpg
People were enjoying their day out. I wish I had a kayak so I can spend a day or two here.
The sites were clean, and free firewood were provided but due to fire ban in the entire BC, no camp fire.

Spent a good hour at the lake, just relaxing and soaking in the views, then I had to go. I got a long day of driving before me.
IMG_6589.jpg
Then, we reached the Yukon/ BC border. This also meant that I was officially crossing over 60 Degree North, and the end of first leg of the trip: Cassiar Highway.
(sorry for the pic quality... I had to resize the pics so the forum server will accept it)
IMG_6593.jpg
We said bye to BC for now. Thank you BC for 5 days of beautiful views, friendly people, and unforgettable memories.

Soon after we hopped on the world famous Alcan.
IMG_6608.jpg
Not sure if it was me or something, but the sunlight over 60D North hits different. Temperature dropped slightly too.
Lots of up hills that I had to fight through, so my mileage suffered slightly.
IMG_6611.jpg
IMG_6636.jpg
And there were more sections of gravel roads and constructions. But maybe because of the time I picked to go through, a lot of construction zones were not active.
IMG_6641.jpg
Picked up more bugs and stuff on the grille... I have at least 6 dead dragon flies and countless bees on my front end.
After that quick stop to see the bridge before crossing it (and use the restroom... sorry, washroom), off we went.
Finally, right before dinner time, we arrived at camp in Whitehorse.
IMG_6657.jpg
I had my second paid meal in Canada at Whitehorse: Ramen at a restaurant owned by Chinese.
I ordered in Chinese and maybe because I spoke the language the people hooked me up. The bowl was filled to the rim!
$25CAD well spent.

One thing I learned was tall trees do block Starlink beyond 60Degree N... My site had some tall trees behind, and that somehow made my Starlink performance suffer. Connection dropped every 7 minutes and then spend another 5 minutes trying to go back online.
These were nonissues before crossing 60Degree N. Hell, I had my Starlink setup in a forest when in lower 48 and it still worked great. That's why nothing was updated that day.

boogielander

Reaction score
Day 10 - BIG DAY
Today was the BIG DAY for both my truck and I. But let's retrace our steps.

I took a late start today, because I spent some time in Whitehorse doing shopping (because day 11 and 12 will be "base camp mode" and there's nowhere to stock up) and exploring the town.

Then, I hopped on the last stretch of Alcan at 11AM, just as the rainstorm started to move in.
IMG_6690.jpg IMG_6694.jpg
Snow capped mountain in the distance after passing Haines Junction. I would totally go to Haines if I had time, but unfortunately there's not really time for me to do that.

Before long, we arrived at Kluane Lake, the biggest lake in Yukon. I hopped out to get some pictures and videos, but the wind was so strong and the temperature was so low that I couldn't handle it to explore more.
IMG_6711.jpg
Then we stopped at the visitor center to learn about the area and the people.
IMG_6719.jpg
IMG_6721.jpg
Apparently, there was "high sheep activities" in that area, per the LED sign, but I didn't see anything. I guess it was too windy and too cold for the sheep to come out and play.
IMG_6732.jpg
Then we stopped to look at Kluane Lake for a second time, before we got on Alcan again.

I knew Alcan was rough, and plenty of people broke their rigs and trailers driving it. BUT, since I have a purpose built truck that can handle higher speed in the desert, it makes me wonder how bad it actually was.
IMG_6748.jpg
Overall, it was okay for likes like Boogielander.
Yes, there are sections with gravel, big potholes, big dips, frost heaves (or as us desert people call it, whoops). But I maintained my speed at speed limit the entire time, even through the "rough sections"
At 40PSI, front suspension at on-road setting, the truck performed really well. The driver though, was overly concentrated on finding the perfect line to avoid overly large potholes that can further damage the road surface.
The whole trip took 6 hours to get to the border, but that section felt like I was driving for 12 hours.
IMG_6781.jpg

boogielander

Reaction score
Day 10 - BIG DAY cont'd
Finally, we arrived at this:
IMG_6806.jpg
The ALASKA sign. We've made it!
Crossing the border took less than 30 seconds. The agent asked me if I had any commercial goods, alcohol, tobacco, or anything I need to declare. I told him no sir, nothing to declare. He then asked me where my truck is plated. After that, he scanned my passport, and said this:
"Welcome home, sir!"
HOLY F*CK! That simple line gave me goosebumps and almost brought tears to my eyes. After 5 days in Canada dealing with KMPH and felt like a foreigner not knowing anything, the "Welcome home" was a god-send.
I was so glad to switch my units back to MPH and miles, and Fahrenheit.

IMG_6808.jpg
After getting into Alaska, the sun came out.
IMG_6821.jpg
Road got a lot better, after the rough boogie section I had.
I made it to Tok right before 7PM, managed to slip in the last order at this Thai place in Tok right before kitchen close.
IMG_6824.jpg
And brought it back to camp to eat.
IMG_6823.jpg

Once again, I was put at a site with tall trees, so... Starlink dropped every 7 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread