5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boogielander Build

Wild animals adapt to their surroundings pretty well. We see bear, moose, deer, and elk in town on a regular basis. Some of them will walk right up to your front door, into your garage, or through the crosswalk in the middle of town. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 189527View attachment 189528View attachment 189529
i am in Radium Hot Springs and they got some big horn sheep here that are so used to people.
They were blocking the road in the morning when I went to Kootenay, and when I came back just now at 530PM they were still there.

These guys don't give a F and I love it LOL

i do have irrational fear of bears. others are ok.
i think that fear came from all the bear videos I've seen (thanks to my friend who kept sending them to me lol... i had to tell him if he sends me one more bear video I'm gonna smack him with my cast iron when I get back)

i do admit that i've been a city boy my entire life and places we go for camping and wheeling we didn't really have to worry about animals. We usually are in groups of 2 or more, and there are always pewpews around. Being inn unfamiliar wildlife territories and not having my guns with me also plays a part in that fear too.
Could purchase some bear spray to carry with you. More useful/effective than hand gun. Don't hit them in just the right spot with a gun, and you just **** them off more.

Just finished watching the last season of Alone where they were in the Arctic circle. First few episodes was a lot of fear about bears in the area, but they had more issues with the smaller animals that the bears.

Could purchase some bear spray to carry with you. More useful/effective than hand gun. Don't hit them in just the right spot with a gun, and you just **** them off more.

Just finished watching the last season of Alone where they were in the Arctic circle. First few episodes was a lot of fear about bears in the area, but they had more issues with the smaller animals that the bears.
oh yeah i got 3 of those with me. (i'm so afraid I got 3 LOL)
jokes aside more like two is one, one is none mentality i got.

i think most guys who aren't used to wild animals have this irrational fear of bears. I've talked to a lot of people before and during the trip, a lot of them are local. Everyone's like "eh, you're gonna be fine as long as you don't F with the mamas and store everything properly and make noise when you're hiking" but when I'm actually in the forest by myself... those wise words grew legs and ran from me lol

Day 35 - Alberta!
So I had planned Banff National Park after Dawson Creek. In my route planning, the drive from Dawson Creek to western Kootenay would be within my daily drive hour limit.
But when I rechecked the route the day before, somehow G Map doubled my drive time. I tried to plot the original route, but somehow it was shown as unavailable. So, I had the choice to go to Prince George (again) or to Edmunton, Alberta to cut driving time to western Kootenay back down to 5 hours or so.
I skipped Banff because Jasper was closed, and my campsite neighbors at Liard recommended western Kootenay over Banff. Another reason I skipped Banff was because Jasper was closed, and if I was gonna come back for Jasper, I might as well save Banff for that trip. Also, staying at Banff would cost me (I wasn't going to camp because I'd spend 2 days at Banff, and setting up camp and taking it down daily to go places would not be a smart choice).
So, I gave myself more reasons to come back.

Ultimately, I decided to go through Alberta. I went through Prince George already, and I wanted to cover grounds that I wasn't familiar with.
IMG_0480.jpg
Hello Alberta!
I am not familiar with Canada at all, but somehow Alberta gas price was less than BC. Probably something to do with all the oilfield signs and drilling rigs I saw.
Anyways, I pulled over on a side street shortly after passing this sign. I had Dempster mud caked on to my wheels and the truck would shake slightly going over 75MPH. It was tolerable the whole time from Dawson City to Dawson Creek, because I hardly go that fast. HOWEVER, at the car wash in Dawson Creek, I focused my efforts on the wheels hoping to wash off the muds. That only made the problem even worse. Now, at 60MPH, the truck would shake like it was falling apart. So, I pulled over and found a stick on the side of the road and started poking at my wheels.
30 minutes later, I gave up. Patches of mud were caked so tight on the wheels that they weren't interested in coming off. I needed another pressure washer to do the job.
I contemplated whether to drive 35 minutes back to Dawson Creek, or drive 50 minutes east to a town on the way. I tossed the looney, and headed east.
IMG_0485.jpg
Alberta was hazy from the fire at Jasper. Camera made things look a lot more clear than it actually was.
IMG_0487.jpg
Passed by one of the farms. Everything looks golden in the sun.
IMG_0510.jpg
Something about sunset when it's hazy outside. I haven't seen a sunset like this since I left SoCal.
IMG_0526.jpg
Perks of forest fire and hazy air, I guess. I wouldn't be able to capture a sunset like this under normal condition because it'd be too bright.
IMG_0530.jpg
Campsite for the night. Found this place on Hipcamp and I could tell the host put a lot of thoughts and creativity into making this campground.
It's called Go Hard Ranch. Look it up! This is how campgrounds should be.
IMG_0541.jpg
3 items for dinner:
Smoked wild salmon, chicken thigh skewer, and beef skewer.
All were bought at Save On Foods in Dawson Creek. I wish we have that chain in the USA.
IMG_0549.jpg
Sun set already, but the sky was beautiful.
IMG_0550.jpg
I wasn't sure how the beef skewer would taste like, so I only bought one.
I should've bought more.

After dinner, it was time to relax.
IMG_0561-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Milky way was in full display, despite the haze.

Funny story: I had the entire campground to myself, but on the cabin side, there were other guests. They were surprised that I drove all the way and "What ya doing here? How did you find this place? You know it's a hick town eh?" because the ranch's actually in the middle of a small farming town (like rural small farming and ranching town) that doesn't get visitors, let alone someone from the US.

I told them don't get fooled by my appearance and where I came from, but I prefer country over cities and I always try to stay away from big cities and towns.

More great pictures. Amazing change of scenery from the tundra of a few days ago !

Day 36 - Can't see sh*t at Banff
As I drove out of the campground, I passed by a ranch that has... deers?
IMG_0577.jpg
Then, I got to Banff. What a transition from flat grass plains to towering mountains and tall pine trees.
IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg
And then the haze started again.
I guess the decision to save Banff and Jasper for next time was the right one.
IMG_0630-Pano.jpg
It was still quite hazy. Camera doesn't doo justcie.
IMG_0645.jpg
And that blue river water... wow!
IMG_0637.jpg
The sun was setting and lighting was perfect, so I found a pullout to snap some pictures and soak in the view while cars flying by right behind me.
IMG_0664.jpg
With wildfire comes beautiful sunsets.
IMG_0665.jpg
Finally arrived at the campground in Golden, my jump off point to see Yoho Natl. Park the next day.

Hey boogielander, I have been enjoying following your journey! you are getting fairly close to my neck of the woods! I am near Vernon, BC. It looks like you are headed south through the Kootenays! You will not be disappointed. Although I believe they have been struck by fires this year but I believe it is mostly under control. I hope you continue to have an amazing trip and safe travels. Looking forward to more photos. Take care

Looks like elk there, wonder why they cut the antlers off!

Hey boogielander, I have been enjoying following your journey! you are getting fairly close to my neck of the woods! I am near Vernon, BC. It looks like you are headed south through the Kootenays! You will not be disappointed. Although I believe they have been struck by fires this year but I believe it is mostly under control. I hope you continue to have an amazing trip and safe travels. Looking forward to more photos. Take care
i just got out of Kootenay and into Kootenai today!
that region was quite hazy then the rain came and became foggy but still beautiful!

Day 37 - Yoho!
Started the day by stopping at the visitor center to pay for my pass and picked up some official patches.
I've been buying official patches from different national parks to collect. Figured these are better than stickers because these are removable.
IMG_0667.jpg
been in Canada for so long and it still threw me off seeing French and English signs. Also threw me off hearing people speak French. I know French is official language of Canada too but with the alpine environment and such it felt like I was in Europe.
I went to the Spiral Tunnels first and waited for the train to come so I could take that picture of same train showing up at two different tunnels. But the train never came. So I left.
IMG_0708.jpg
Then, I stopped at the Confluence of Two Rivers.
These two rivers flow down Columbia River, the very same Columbia River at the border of WA and OR. I was downstream a month and some change ago, and now I got to the source!
IMG_0741.jpg
Then I drove all the way in to see Takakkaw Fall, a waterfall made with melted glacial water.
I was not dressed properly for this hike... I wasn't expecting to get soaked from the water droplets from the fall, and certainly wasn't expecting gusts of wind as well.
So I kept going toward it.
IMG_0808.jpg
Found this little guy poking around in the rocks. This little guy is golden-mantled ground squirrel, and it was curious what I was doing. Guy hid in the rocks, then came out as I stood there swapping my camera lens, and probably figured I was no threat so it hopped over. Before it got too close someone came up and scared the little guy into hiding again.
But good enough for me to snap a bunch of pictures with my tele-lens.
IMG_0909-Pano.jpg
Then, the next stop was Emerald Lake. It was quite windy when I got there, but the lake was indeed emerald colored.
I poked around the lodge which offered cabins and chalets that sit right on the edge of the lake, and found out it'd cost me arm and leg to stay there for one night. One day, I'll come back and spend a night here in one of the lake view rooms.
IMG_0941.jpg
Imagine going to bed with this view and waking up to this. I could just sit on the balcony the whole day looking at this!
IMG_0951.jpg
On the way out from Emerald Lake, I stopped by Natural Bridge. Melted glacial water poked a hole through this rock wall, making it a "bridge."
IMG_0996.jpg
As I left Yoho behind, I found this spot by the river to take a break and perfect opportunity to snap a few shots of the truck.
I made it a mission to snap some shots of the truck daily on this trip and I wasn't gonna break that streak lol
IMG_1067.jpg
Destination for the day is Radium Hot Springs, and I'll be spending 2 nights there to enjoy the hot spring and make it my jump off point to Kootenay National Park.
On the way, I saw this full rainbow and pulled over immediately to snap a shot. If you look closely, it's actually triple rainbows.
IMG_1078.jpg
Since I part time at an international hotel chain, I got employee discounts for all the hotels under the chain around the world. So, I took advantage of it and booked myself a room with kitchen inside, so I could finish off the raw food I got before crossing the border in a few days.

Today was a good day.

Day 39 - Kootenay
Started the day by seeing some rams on the side of the road.
IMG_1086.jpg
These guys give no F about anything. They go wherever they want, and they park wherever they want, even in the middle of the road.
IMG_1087.jpg
Then, got to Kootenay.
IMG_1089.jpg
First stop: Olive Lake. Beautiful jade colored lake. Not sure why it's called "Olive" though.
IMG_1113.jpg
Then, Kootenay River. I liked this spot so much I returned in the afternoon and sat here for 30 minutes before the rain moved in.
IMG_1138.jpg
There's something about this place... or I've never seen so many blue colored rivers before.
IMG_1171-Pano.jpg
I know shades make glaciers look blue, maybe it's the same thing here?
IMG_1250.jpg
Made it all the way out to Continental Divide and the border of Banff and Kootenay. Also the border of Alberta and BC.
IMG_1267.jpg
Finally found a park sign that I can park next to for a picture. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good shot of the other side that says Banff.
IMG_1361.jpg
So many waterfalls in this region.
IMG_1370.jpg
And finally, got back to Radium to enjoy a soak before heading back to the hotel to relax in the hot tub.

Man no one is ever going to top this trip on this forum. What an epic adventure! Let alone your doing this all in a rebel and not a TRX is the cherry on top.

It would have been much more expensive in a TRX, but the smiles per gallon would have been worth it. :cool:

Day 39 - BAMBI!!!
Today was a chill day for me. I only had like an hour of drive time from Radium Hot Springs to Fairmont Hot Springs, so I had to fill the time between 11AM and 4PM.
So, I went on some mountain roads to find animals... particularly, the Big Horns.
IMG_1374.jpg
I didn't find big horns, but I found this whitetail. I stopped to swap lens and take pictures, but cars were coming up behind me so I went around, made a u-turn, and found another spot closer to the deer on the other side of the road. This guy saw I went around, and looked at me trying to figure out what I was doing.
IMG_1433.jpg
Then, another one came out from the tree line.
This one gave no F about anything. It was just enjoying its brunch and let me do my thing. As it picked its brunch, it walked casually toward me while feasting on some fresh grass.
It got so comfortable with the blue truck and me that it got within a car's length of me. It didn't even care when I fired up the engine, and only looked up when it heard cars coming from far away (and didn't even move).
I took over 50 photos of these two and spent over 30 minutes admiring them, before I decided to move on to Invermere to have lunch.
IMG_1491.jpg
After lunch, I decided to poke around some dirt road even more, and found this "campsite" tucked 10km away from the main road high up in the forest. This is way deep in bear country and wet. Not my type of campsite.
IMG_1498.jpg
Remember I said I try to take pictures of the truck daily on this trip? Well, I'm keeping that streak going.
Also some good old fashioned dirt road therapy made my day!
I was just thinking that I miss dirt on my truck a few days earlier lol
IMG_1515.jpg
Then, as I was getting back to the main road, something ran across the trail in front of me.
I slammed my brake (since I was boogieing), and found Bambi in the trees. This one's shy, and kept its distance from me.
IMG_1520.jpg
Mama came out to see what Bambi was looking at, and both of them stared at me while I snapped pictures from inside the truck. I didn't want to scare them away with opening and closing my door and getting out.
Finally they probably figured they gave me enough time to take pictures of them, and they ran off in the forest. Now they got stories of a weird blue thing and a weird looking animal in it doing weird things to tell their friends.

In the end, after all that messing around, I got to Fairmont shortly after 4PM. I checked in to the resort, then went for a long soaking session.

What a relaxing day.

More great pictures. Amazing change of scenery from the tundra of a few days ago !
The gas price disparity is influenced by oil availability logistics, but it is also because Alberta does not have provincial taxes.

BC both federal and provincial tax (12%) but AB only has federal (5%).

Day 39 - BAMBI!!!
Today was a chill day for me. I only had like an hour of drive time from Radium Hot Springs to Fairmont Hot Springs, so I had to fill the time between 11AM and 4PM.
So, I went on some mountain roads to find animals... particularly, the Big Horns.
View attachment 189773
I didn't find big horns, but I found this whitetail. I stopped to swap lens and take pictures, but cars were coming up behind me so I went around, made a u-turn, and found another spot closer to the deer on the other side of the road. This guy saw I went around, and looked at me trying to figure out what I was doing.
View attachment 189774
Then, another one came out from the tree line.
This one gave no F about anything. It was just enjoying its brunch and let me do my thing. As it picked its brunch, it walked casually toward me while feasting on some fresh grass.
It got so comfortable with the blue truck and me that it got within a car's length of me. It didn't even care when I fired up the engine, and only looked up when it heard cars coming from far away (and didn't even move).
I took over 50 photos of these two and spent over 30 minutes admiring them, before I decided to move on to Invermere to have lunch.
View attachment 189775
After lunch, I decided to poke around some dirt road even more, and found this "campsite" tucked 10km away from the main road high up in the forest. This is way deep in bear country and wet. Not my type of campsite.
View attachment 189776
Remember I said I try to take pictures of the truck daily on this trip? Well, I'm keeping that streak going.
Also some good old fashioned dirt road therapy made my day!
I was just thinking that I miss dirt on my truck a few days earlier lol
View attachment 189777
Then, as I was getting back to the main road, something ran across the trail in front of me.
I slammed my brake (since I was boogieing), and found Bambi in the trees. This one's shy, and kept its distance from me.
View attachment 189778
Mama came out to see what Bambi was looking at, and both of them stared at me while I snapped pictures from inside the truck. I didn't want to scare them away with opening and closing my door and getting out.
Finally they probably figured they gave me enough time to take pictures of them, and they ran off in the forest. Now they got stories of a weird blue thing and a weird looking animal in it doing weird things to tell their friends.

In the end, after all that messing around, I got to Fairmont shortly after 4PM. I checked in to the resort, then went for a long soaking session.

What a relaxing day.
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES AS ALWAYS THANKS FOR SHARING!

Last edited:
The gas price disparity is influenced by oil availability logistics, but it is also because Alberta does not have provincial taxes.

BC both federal and provincial tax (12%) but AB only has federal (5%).
ah that makes sense.
but BC pricing was still better than YK or NWT LOL
YK and NWT were both above $2/L while BC was about $1.6-1.8/L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back