5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

Dalekoven

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and hadn't seen this discussed anywhere yet so forgive me if I missed a thread. Anyone have any opinions/experience on a good tuner for the 2019 Ram 1500? I'm looking to get one for my new truck before too long in order to turn off the MDS. I've seen some reviews on the Diablo and it looks nice but was curious of other opinions.

Edge Pulsar tuner. Turns mds off but does not turn speed limiter off. I could not find anything on Diablo turning mds off but will turn speed limiter off

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Ok the only benefit to the piggyback pulsar is that it doesn’t require the Pcm to be unlocked. As far as tunes etc they are junk. On the fly they adjust very minor items and make it seem things are better than they are but in reality just like 90 percent of all piggy back systems your not actually getting something worth a damn.

However since it is a piggy back system there are so many limitation because at the end of the day too many adjustments (which you can’t do really ) and the stock computer will catch onto it. You can only limited the data or manipulate the data being received by the stock computer so much. And the actual “tunes” within that device are junk due to the limitations. It’s amazing how some simple tricks of adjusting throttle response and reducing tq management and folks are tricked into thinking they didn’t just buy a pos.

First off edge, Superchips and Diablo are all the same company. (Powerteq )

That product is an edge product simple because that platform hasn’t really released anything in years worth a damn. So a marketing stunt and now edge has something to show on paper. Diablo used to be the top for dodge now since they can’t seem to keep the support current they are failing miserable. Try to tune a 2019 ram with Diablo and welp good luck. So many items in the templates are broken you can’t even turn off mds. And current oem software release ends with AK Diablo will downgrade your computer back to AE or AI so if you got a flash to fix an issue and want to use Diablo you just reverted back to a calibration. With the issue.

All 2015+ Chrysler pcms require an unlock no matter what tuning company you use. Or a purchase of an already unlocked Pcm. However when done this way you with the help of a tuner have full control. Pulsar can never touch a real tune on a stock Pcm. For all accounts. And with a real tune MDS can be fully disabled so it never comes on. So I’d suggest if you want real gains. Real MpG possibilities. Contact an HPTuners Dodge tuner. Get your Pcm unlocked and really tuned. Even for those folks who want to run 87. Even though the hemi engine was never designed to run on 87. The amount of KR produced is sad. And the amount of power the computer pulls because of it is amazing. 89 should be the min. Btw those running the pulsar with 87. That device simple doesn’t have the engine protection built into it as the stock computer does. 87 octane fuel on a hemi motor causes so much knock it’s crazy so in stock form the engine computer reduces timing which reduced power to protect the motor from detonation. If you think that piggyback device is going to do the same your highly wishful thinking. And just because you can change the octane level on the dash doesn’t mean you should. if you normally run a lower octane. And then Decide today I’m going to fill up with something better like 93 or so. It would take 2-3 tanks of fuel to actually have a true 93 octane level in your vehicle. So you should not make any adjustment to octane level until you’ve gone thru 2-3 tanks. Changing on the fly is basically making the above situation even worse and like I said since that picky back device doesn’t have the same protection you can damage your engine.

Yes due to the new remapping of the p1400 code in the Chrysler dtc library. You can get a code on the Pcm that won’t clear after a Pcm is unlocked. Diablo has yet to fix this. HPT I believe have disabled it on the back end so it never appears even if the Pcm is flashed by a dealer. This code started showing up at the end of 2016. On all dodge computers.

If you really want a tune don’t bother with that or any piggy back system. You’ve all said it your selves. Mds off doesn’t actually work. And thats because it’s not actually disabled. The piggy back is tricking the stock computer so it disengages it. In your reports a few have said it will bump the Rpms up. Or simulate you pressing the gas.

A real tune stops the system completely. Among many other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019Ram64

Reaction score
A real tune will disable the speed limiter and mds. Pulsar will not disable the speed limiter as that is a far stretch of the little abilities it does have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevier2987

Reaction score
My buddy is getting better mpg in economy mode but he thinks it's just a remap of the throttle curve. MDS/ECO is easier to keep on since it takes a lot of pedal movement to request more power. If you drive for max economy, it helps. Otherwise, it's not much fun.
Sorry but was this with the pulsar or pedal commander

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
I just ordered my pulsar from Diablo tuning and should be here Friday. I don’t plan on using the performance modes as I don’t want to fuel up with 91 which is .50 cents higher per gallon here in GA than 87. I really just wanted it to disable MDS and Some performance increase :)

How do you like your Pulsar? How is it performing?

Joker4L

Reaction score
Do you notice any HP gain with your Pulsar?

The car drives so much better it's hard to explain. My buddy has a 2019 Rebel with E-Torque and when he jumped into my non E-torque he was dumb founded on how much smoother and responsive my truck was. I then told him about the tuner and as he drove around he played around with all the tuner options from eco to stock to tow and finally sport.

That is the best thing I can say about the pulsar. Yes ONCE AGAIN for all the haters, this tuner DOES NOT disable MDS (we got it!!!!) but do not simply call it an overprice pedal commander because it isn't. Yes it does indeed change the throttle sensitivity like a pedal commander but it smooths out the power band and delivers much more power earlier in range.

For all those interested, stop listening to all the people who are AGAINST the product and try it. If you purchase it from diablo directly, they offer a 30 day money back guarantee! If you don't like it, simply return it and move on with your life :D

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No Piggy Back tuners for other high performance Dodge products so why do you think there’s so much more to this device than speeding up the throttle body? I get it feels better but it’s not changing anything in the TCM. That cost me HP credits etc. To the tune of 500 alone in my Hellcat so this product is not doing any transmission adjustment you can bet on..

If a piggy back system was able to make satisfactory adjustments to the actual tuning, the market on the performance side would have embraced it and not have the handful of reputable tuners running off thier feet busy.

I’m all for fun but don’t like when keyboard heroes get on a forum talking like they know something like tuning and cannot back it up (no names will be mentioned) if you are not a tuner don’t present seat of pants and fantasy power as reality.

Put a truck on a Dyno before and after

Myself I will contact my tuner Mike at OST DYNO and ask him to chime in here. I don’t know if he is willing but if he does then there’s some legitimate knowledge to base decisions on for the un educated. If somebody else say wants to reach out to another legitimate Dodge tuner please do.

This is a nice simple product that can accomplish minor stuff but let’s not hype it up to be the same as actual PCM/TCM tuning. A sprint booster or pedal commander might give 90% of this device at a lower cost.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
I have talked with Tim Barth. It was about 6 months ago, but at that time there was no tuning available.
I went with the pulsar. I know its a canned "tune". From what I have read, it makes adjustments to timing as well as the fly by wire. I dont know what it does exactly, but for now it cool.
I didnt expect it to be as good as an actual tune, but it makes the truck more fun what ever its doing.
And I do have dyno time scheduled for later this month to see what it adds.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have talked with Tim Barth. It was about 6 months ago, but at that time there was no tuning available.
I went with the pulsar. I know its a canned "tune". From what I have read, it makes adjustments to timing as well as the fly by wire. I dont know what it does exactly, but for now it cool.
I didnt expect it to be as good as an actual tune, but it makes the truck more fun what ever its doing.
And I do have dyno time scheduled for later this month to see what it adds.
I would be very curious to see dyno results. Any other mods?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tim Barth a well known/ respected tuner for sure. Maybe he will chime in here.

Joekid

Reaction score
I’d say for sure there is a way... if you plugged in such a device which changed spark timings, throttle response... there is going to be some data logger in the vehicle that logs some sort of metrics that would somehow enable to figure out if something was ever changed...

Those devices aren’t any new and the manufacturers aren’t any stupid so be sure they have a way to find out in case of let’s say a dispute over warranty...

Got this from Pulsar website FAQ's
States there is no trace of it being installed. Screenshot_20190102-115136_Chrome.jpg

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Imo, the price of a pedal commander vs pulsar. I’d rather do pulsar not much more money in the spectrum in hopes I will get more from it then just throttle response. I will say the non trace feature is appealing. Still going to investigate with Witech back door pids that may stick out when not so busy.

I’ll sit back and just wait it out and enjoy the pimp ride I have till I get bored. As I come from a high mileage old pos truck, power and all parts of truck is great for now. Haha

Joekid

Reaction score
Sweet. Curious to see some feedback for it on the 2019s. I will likely be buying one at some point.
That is a great video/pics. Thanks for sharing. Love the exhaust note sound.

Users who are viewing this thread