5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

John

Reaction score
Just installed mine tonight and I assume if I haven't changed tires or gear ratio, I don't have to do anything with those settings?

John

Joker4L

Reaction score
Just installed mine tonight and I assume if I haven't changed tires or gear ratio, I don't have to do anything with those settings?

John
Nope just pick the setting you want and away you go.

I left mine in TOW MDS OFF since I run 87oct. I am to cheap to pay .60cents more a gallon for 93oct :p

Joker4L

Reaction score
So after a few days with the Pulsar tuner I can now see what people are talking about when they say “surging”. I would not use that word as it is more like the engine Reving itself up ever so slightly to make sure the truck stays in 8cyl. Sticker500 was correct when saying that is what the Pulsar tuner did to get rid of MDS. So it’s more like a bandaid fix.

Not happy with how it deals with that as it’s not clearly advertised that way. Besides that, truck does drive way smoother with the tuner and it’s overall more enjoyable to drive.

I will give it another week or so before I decide if I will be keeping it or returning it. Currently I feel like the product is in a beta phase yet current owners are paying full release prices for it....

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't expect the Pulsar to ever be able to turn off MDS. It is located downstream from the ECU and can't change settings in the ECU. Neither can any other tuner. The ECU is locked and must be replaced with an unlocked ECU for tuners to work. I've read that a code is set when the ECU is altered and this code is then stored in other modules on the canbus. Even swapping the original ECU back in won't clear the hidden code. Since the Pulsar doesn't alter the ECU, no codes are set.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Th
So after a few days with the Pulsar tuner I can now see what people are talking about when they say “surging”. I would not use that word as it is more like the engine Reving itself up ever so slightly to make sure the truck stays in 8cyl. Sticker500 was correct when saying that is what the Pulsar tuner did to get rid of MDS. So it’s more like a bandaid fix.

Not happy with how it deals with that as it’s not clearly advertised that way. Besides that, truck does drive way smoother with the tuner and it’s overall more enjoyable to drive.

I will give it another week or so before I decide if I will be keeping it or returning it. Currently I feel like the product is in a beta phase yet current owners are paying full release prices for it....
That was my suspicion. However, you can always turn off MDS with the gear limit selector, even though it is a pain to remember to do it every time. If the Pulsar still offers some other improvement it would still be worth it.

nick_z06

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any performance difference with a pulsar install? I keep seeing post of people saying "It feels alot better" but , are there any real 0-60 or 1/4 mile times improvements?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Th
That was my suspicion. However, you can always turn off MDS with the gear limit selector, even though it is a pain to remember to do it every time. If the Pulsar still offers some other improvement it would still be worth it.

Seems like a vendor could make a device that does this using the gear limiter. So plug into OBD2, then wait for gear limit to reach 8 then disable.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like a vendor could make a device that does this using the gear limiter. So plug into OBD2, then wait for gear limit to reach 8 then disable.
That's what I was thinking. Alternately, it could send 7 "+" signals whenever the truck goes into drive. Either way would truly disable MDS.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Alternately, it could send 7 "+" signals whenever the truck goes into drive. Either way would truly disable MDS.

I have used PAC TR7 modules before to accomplish different things in the past. This seems if someone could find out where to connect we could get something working.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have used PAC TR7 modules before to accomplish different things in the past. This seems if someone could find out where to connect we could get something working.
We would need the OBD2 Canbus transmit string that the "+" button generates when pressed. Someone with a diagnostic tool could discover this.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Trust me coming from a 2016 silverado that stuck a lifter at 20k miles. You learn why deactivating cylinders is a very bad idea.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any driving impressions (other than the MDS disable) from Pulsar owners? I’d like to hear if it provides any noticeable performance improvement. 0-60? MPG?

Joker4L

Reaction score
I haven’t done any real mpg test or 0-60 but the truck most definitely drives better. My buddy came over and he has a 19 Rebel with e-torque and when he drove mine he could immediately tell the difference in the how quick the trucj reacts to throttle input and how strong it pulls compare to his and that’s was in tow mode. I am enjoying mine. My commute is a windy 30 mile hwy stretch where avg 80 to 85mph. My mpg sits around 16mpg

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the pulsar tuner remember the previously selected tune after you shutdown and restart the truck or do you need to select a tune each time? I assume that it would but wanted to make sure.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t done any real mpg test or 0-60 but the truck most definitely drives better. My buddy came over and he has a 19 Rebel with e-torque and when he drove mine he could immediately tell the difference in the how quick the trucj reacts to throttle input and how strong it pulls compare to his and that’s was in tow mode. I am enjoying mine. My commute is a windy 30 mile hwy stretch where avg 80 to 85mph. My mpg sits around 16mpg

I sense the biggest difference people with this tuner is the simple increase in throttle body speed. There’s not a lot of tuning you can do to a non supercharged or turbo engine these days especially when your talking running 87. Placebo effect do to throttle is all your feeling. Pedal commander/ Sprint Booster and others will basically do what your feeling. Unless you need to change tire sizes etc that’s really all your getting different to play with.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sense the biggest difference people with this tuner is the simple increase in throttle body speed. There’s not a lot of tuning you can do to a non supercharged or turbo engine these days especially when your talking running 87. Placebo effect do to throttle is all your feeling. Pedal commander/ Sprint Booster and others will basically do what your feeling. Unless you need to change tire sizes etc that’s really all your getting different to play with.
That's why I will be getting it I want to be able to change my tire size, and was looking at the Pedal Commander. Would be easier to get one thing that can do both.

Users who are viewing this thread