5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If their are no gains as some believe, then there are no sensing limits exceeded and therefore undetectable. It would be a "pedal booster" and speedo calibrator at that point. :)

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
This is why with this truck as it’s not my fast vehicle I think I will be happy with just a sprint booster to clean the throttle up a tad.

The first 15% of the pedal being dead is my biggest gripe. I got the truck so I wouldn't have to worry about this stuff. Especially power adders. After I move houses this year I'll be looking for another project car though.

If I want power in the truck I'll just get it over with and throw on a small n2o shot. (y)

If their are no gains as some believe, then there are no sensing limits exceeded and therefore undetectable. It would be a "pedal booster" and speedo calibrator at that point. :)

Correct, I stated the same. People just want to see independent dynos of the product. I would be very curious to see the various maps on the dyno. Not just the performance map.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Speaking with a tuner buddy of mine, who tunes my turbo Camaro, he said that he generally sees 25-30 rwhp with a custom tune using HPTuners. He hasn't tuned any Hemi trucks newer than 2016 though. If the Pulsar does really add that much RWHP then I see it being a benefit to the average person.

For me to tune my 2019 with HPTuners (which I own) it would cost me $100 for the credits, $249 to send the PCM in to HPTuners to unlock it, then another $89 for their "Smart Access" cable. I'm looking at $438 + shipping right there to tune the truck with what a program I already own. Then the time it would take for me to log it, make some pulls, email it to my buddy, rinse and repeat as much as needed. Not to mention having to load a new file each time I want to make changes.

Would a custom tune from HPTuners be better? More than likely. Would the average person notice a difference from the Pulsar if it really does what it says it does? Not likely.

I've had custom tunes on all of my previous GM trucks/suv's and really the only thing I noticed was throttle response and MAYBE a slight bump in MPG. I recalibrated the MAF, VE Table, spark, etc., and noticed the most from removing torque management and fine tuning the trans to how I liked it. Never did I put any of my DD's on the dyno but I am sure it would have shown a gain. Hard to notice any power gains in a 5500+ lb vehicle by the butt dyno.

I'm anxious to see some of the Pulsar dyno results from forum members. I have access to a dyno if anyone wants to send me their Pulsar for testing :).

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the Pulsar was able to turn off the MDS?
That's the claim...but it does it just like we do, by adding throttle everytime MDS kicks in. That's not really disabling it. It is turning it off...over and over again.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the claim...but it does it just like we do, by adding throttle everytime MDS kicks in. That's not really disabling it. It is turning it off...over and over again.
I actually put the truck in drive and then switch to the manual gear selector on the steering wheel on my 14 Ram....Im putting on 35's when my new one comes in and will need to adjust the speedometer and saw that the Pulsar does this too...what a bummer I guess Ill just have to keep doing it the way I do now. I dont want to waste $500.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually put the truck in drive and then switch to the manual gear selector on the steering wheel on my 14 Ram....Im putting on 35's when my new one comes in and will need to adjust the speedometer and saw that the Pulsar does this too...what a bummer I guess Ill just have to keep doing it the way I do now. I dont want to waste $500.
I'll be shooked if MDS comes in much with 35's anyways. If it does, it'll be under extremely light throttle or down hill. I'm confused why it matters if MDS kicks on for some people. I know theres a dislike for it but the emplementation is very smooth and seemless on the 19's.

The enhanced drivability on setting 5 or 6 - "Tow" plus adjusting the speedometer (and therefore shift points) for oversized tires is worth the price IMHO.

Last edited:

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be shooked if MDS comes in much with 35's anyways. If it does, it'll be under extremely light throttle or down hill. I'm confused why it matters if MDS kicks on for some people. I know theres a dislike for it but the emplementation is very smooth and seemless on the 19's.

The enhanced drivability on setting 5 or 6 - "Tow" plus adjusting the speedometer (and therefore shift points) for oversized tires is worth the price IMHO.
I get a horrible noise because of my Flowmaster exhaust when it kicks in on my 14....Hopefully its better on my new one!

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get a horrible noise because of my Flowmaster exhaust when it kicks in on my 14....Hopefully its better on my new one!
With the stock exhaust it's not noticeable unless you are trying to hear it and have the radio off. Others have reported that the more aggressive the aftermarket exhaust, the more you notice it. If you plan to run a loud muffler, then you might want to keep disabling it. The Pulsar does kick it out of MDS as soon as it engages but this can cause a slight surge since the Pulsar quickly pulses the throttle to disable MDS after it kicks in.. Some don't notice it while others do.

Disclaimer: I am not running a Pulsar until my warranty is out which should be in around 18 months. I installed one on my buddy's '19 Laramie and have both driven and ridden in it numerous times. I like how it wakes the truck up. It feels strong and responsive. He is well pleased with the purchase. Even the Economy mode is effective at making it easier to hold the truck in MDS. It's good for 2-3 mpg on his rural commute. Performance mode is downright aggressive although the jury is out on real world HP/TQ gains. It sure feels stronger, especially from idle to 2500 RPMs.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the stock exhaust it's not noticeable unless you are trying to hear it and have the radio off. Others have reported that the more aggressive the aftermarket exhaust, the more you notice it. If you plan to run a loud muffler, then you might want to keep disabling it. The Pulsar does kick it out of MDS as soon as it engages but this can cause a slight surge since the Pulsar quickly pulses the throttle to disable MDS after it kicks in.. Some don't notice it while others do.

Disclaimer: I am not running a Pulsar until my warranty is out which should be in around 18 months. I installed one on my buddy's '19 Laramie and have both driven and ridden in it numerous times. I like how it wakes the truck up. It feels strong and responsive. He is well pleased with the purchase. Even the Economy mode is effective at making it easier to hold the truck in MDS. It's good for 2-3 mpg on his rural commute. Performance mode is downright aggressive although the jury is out on real world HP/TQ gains. It sure feels stronger, especially from idle to 2500 RPMs.
Good to know...I have the Diablo tuner on my 2014 Ram and I have to say it made a little bit of difference but not crazy.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that purchased the Pulsar, If your intent is to disable MDS then it won't really do that. What it does is interecept when the truck goes into MDS then turns it off. So that is the surging you are hearing from people.
You're referring to the Diablo Pulsar?

Boostfeen

Reaction score
Never said anything is different to never noticed anything or did not look for evidence... my bet if the want to know they know where to look for the evidence and there will be... might not be an issue if you go in for regular maintenance or a squeaky door hinge warranty work but if your engine blows up and you want a new one they can and will find out if they want to...
Usually they would look at “key cycles” the intune tuner would keep the curret key cycle and so you wouldnt know. Im not sure if pulsar does this , considering its just a piggy back system I imagine your ok to remove it and no evidence would be in there

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turn
I thought all FCA vehicles with the canbus system needed an aftermarket physically hacked ecu to be able to tune? For example they started using these in 2014 on the challengers so I assumed a brand new Ram would be like this. Have you seen information suggesting the tuner manufacturers have found a way around this now? I ask because you can always easily untune before a trip for service (and always should so they don’t brick your tuner) but swapping out an ecu is something different. Also the ecu really jacks up the price. I just checked and the diablosport only works on rams up to 2014 which makes me think they switched them at the same time as the challengers. The crappy mds stuff is probably the main reason I got etorque. In test drives it seemed to make it more tolerable. If I could have turned it off for the cost of another license on my diablosport I would have done that. Definitely post if you find something without an ecu swap cause there are a lot of nice things about a tune. Higher shift points and quicker throttle response are nice.
on tow/haul, and it shuts down the MDS/ECO mode. Changes the shift points, but solves the problem in one way, and saves a few bucks.

SColang22

Reaction score
Anyone having issues with the pulsar? Mine is throwing codes for throttle response and traction control. Diablo is sending me a new one this week.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone having issues with the pulsar? Mine is throwing codes for throttle response and traction control. Diablo is sending me a new one this week.

Installed the Pulsar last night. I also have an Afe CAI and the Magnaflow 14" muffler assembly from B2 Fabrications.

The only issue I had with the Pulsar is when I first started her up, I was getting a blank/blue screen for the backup/surround camera on the 12" screen. But I drove her around for a few minutes in Performance mode and stopped at a gas station, and the backup/surround camera function was working again. Whew! Thought I was going to have to send the Pulsar back. But so far, so good.

Performance mode is kind of extreme. I drove into work this morning in Performance mode, and I had to be careful with the misty rain and slick streets.

Sorry you're having issues, SColang22. Once Pulsar gets them ironed out for you, let us know how you like it.

SColang22

Reaction score
I’ve had it for
Installed the Pulsar last night. I also have an Afe CAI and the Magnaflow 14" muffler assembly from B2 Fabrications.

The only issue I had with the Pulsar is when I first started her up, I was getting a blank/blue screen for the backup/surround camera on the 12" screen. But I drove her around for a few minutes in Performance mode and stopped at a gas station, and the backup/surround camera function was working again. Whew! Thought I was going to have to send the Pulsar back. But so far, so good.

Performance mode is kind of extreme. I drove into work this morning in Performance mode, and I had to be careful with the misty rain and slick streets.

Sorry you're having issues, SColang22. Once Pulsar gets them ironed out for you, let us know how you like it.
I’ve had it for a few months and it’s okay. I’m not sure if I’m getting performance or just throttle response. I have the same intake but a borla exhaust. I’ll see if the new pulsar works. Either way when the T2 comes out for the 5th gens I’m jumping on one.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had it for

I’ve had it for a few months and it’s okay. I’m not sure if I’m getting performance or just throttle response. I have the same intake but a borla exhaust. I’ll see if the new pulsar works. Either way when the T2 comes out for the 5th gens I’m jumping on one.

What is the T2, SColang22? Like I need another potential mod to catch my attention. :)

SColang22

Reaction score
What is the T2, SColang22? Like I need another potential mod to catch my attention. :)
Its an actual tuner that requires a PCM swap. Diablo sells them. It lets you do custom tunes. The only thing that sucks is you will be unlocking your PCM so you will potential void some of your warranty

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its an actual tuner that requires a PCM swap. Diablo sells them. It lets you do custom tunes. The only thing that sucks is you will be unlocking your PCM so you will potential void some of your warranty

Ah. Okay. Thanks.

Mad Mike

Reaction score
I installed the Pulsar last week. If you’re thinking about it, I highly suggest. It’s night and day different. The shift points in performance are great. Timing, everything. Whomever can say whatever they want, but unless you experience the Pulsar yourself, there isn’t much to say.

I highly suggest.

After driving with the pulsar for a few days I added a Vararam. That to is great.

Enjoy. I am.

Users who are viewing this thread