5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

Hahny

Reaction score
Bought the pulsar mainly for the ability to adjust for tire size, the rest is just a bonus

Joker4L

Reaction score
For those that purchased the Pulsar, If your intent is to disable MDS then it won't really do that. What it does is interecept when the truck goes into MDS then turns it off. So that is the surging you are hearing from people.
I called edge and spoke to their tech people and they reported only a few out of thousands have had the surging issues and they updated the programming for those who reported the issues and they have reported back saying the surging is gone. They are shipping a unit out to me with the latest update and said I have a 30 day money back guarantee.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called edge and spoke to their tech people and they reported only a few out of thousands have had the surging issues and they updated the programming for those who reported the issues and they have reported back saying the surging is gone. They are shipping a unit out to me with the latest update and said I have a 30 day money back guarantee.

When do you think it was updated because I know someone who got one 2 weeks ago and they described to me what I posted. They also said they called Edge today and this is what they confirmed. The MDS system cannot be disabled without a PCM flash. They simply intercept and alter what the PCM is seeing so the PCM kicks the mode back out. Keep us updated.

Bam2880

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the dealership could see if the pulsar was ever on the truck if you had an issue with warranty work?

Joker4L

Reaction score
When do you think it was updated because I know someone who got one 2 weeks ago and they described to me what I posted. They also said they called Edge today and this is what they confirmed. The MDS system cannot be disabled without a PCM flash. They simply intercept and alter what the PCM is seeing so the PCM kicks the mode back out. Keep us updated.

Unfortunately they didn’t give me info on the date of the latest update :/

I am going to give it a try and report my findings, if true that a surge is still there, that will make it worse than simply leaving the MDS on so for sure I would return it. I look forward to testing it out as no one really has posted their review/opinions on it. I hope to help the community know more about this product

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the dealership could see if the pulsar was ever on the truck if you had an issue with warranty work?

I’d say for sure there is a way... if you plugged in such a device which changed spark timings, throttle response... there is going to be some data logger in the vehicle that logs some sort of metrics that would somehow enable to figure out if something was ever changed...

Those devices aren’t any new and the manufacturers aren’t any stupid so be sure they have a way to find out in case of let’s say a dispute over warranty...

Joker4L

Reaction score

I had a diablo sport InTune custom hemi fever tune installed in my 2014 Ram 1500 Sport and the dealer never noticed ( although I did put reflash the stock tune evertime I took her in. )

It’s an honest concern but not one I have really ever cared about :/

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Never said anything is different to never noticed anything or did not look for evidence... my bet if the want to know they know where to look for the evidence and there will be... might not be an issue if you go in for regular maintenance or a squeaky door hinge warranty work but if your engine blows up and you want a new one they can and will find out if they want to...

John

Reaction score
Guess which version of Pulsar we get depends on how long it has been sitting on the dealers shelf!! Mine is being delivered tomorrow along with my cat-back Magnaflow exhaust system! I'll report on both after vacation and install!

John

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just let MDS do its thing. It only kicks on with extremely light loads. As soon as you apply more throttle, MDS kicks out. There really is no downside except altering the exhaust note. As mentioned earlier, the surging is the Pulsar applying throttle to disengage MDS. It doesn't disable it. Pulsar works fine on eTourque trucks. I have a friend running one and the Tow or Performance mode wakes the Hemi up nicely. My truck is used for work and I need my warranty intact.

Joker4L

Reaction score
Just let MDS do its thing. It only kicks on with extremely light loads. As soon as you apply more throttle, MDS kicks out. There really is no downside except altering the exhaust note. As mentioned earlier, the surging is the Pulsar applying throttle to disengage MDS. It doesn't disable it. Pulsar works fine on eTourque trucks. I have a friend running one and the Tow or Performance mode wakes the Hemi up nicely. My truck is used for work and I need my warranty intact.

I hate MDS. Hated it on my 14 sport and hate it on my 19. It’s not just the exhaust note, you can actually feel the engine shift from 4cyl to 8cyl and vice versa. It feels like it shifted gears but didn't. If you have aftermarket exhaust the sound difference is extremely more noticeably too.

Soooo if you don’t like MDS put the gear limit in -8 or get the pulsar, if you don’t mind it than yay for you, it’s a no cost mod :)

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have an aftermarket exhuast that's when you really notice the Pulsar NOT disabling MDS

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People don't complain about their truck shifting. The bump from MDS is tiny. I think there are people who are v8 purist and dislike the idea more than the implementation. Nothing wrong with that. Do what makes you happy. I'm happy when my ECO light stays on!

Joker4L

Reaction score
If you have an aftermarket exhuast that's when you really notice the Pulsar NOT disabling MDS

You sure do talk like you have first hand experience with Pulsar when you admitted everything you know about it you heard 3rd party. That’s like saying you don’t like food you never tried before because someone else said it was gross .... makes no sense

I at least will give the product a fair try and report back to this forum with an honest opinion. If the so called Surge exist then by all means I will report it and return it to the manufacturer if it doesn’t then I am a happy camper and the forums will then see that the surge might only be affecting some trucks.

Joker4L

Reaction score

Attachments

• C991EF77-BB88-4E52-ABDB-DEFBE747449B.jpeg
    C991EF77-BB88-4E52-ABDB-DEFBE747449B.jpeg
    621.4 KB · Views: 250
  • A73AA696-15CF-429A-BABD-D6706F91513D.jpeg
    A73AA696-15CF-429A-BABD-D6706F91513D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 243
  • 22B1EDE0-F8F4-4738-BD7F-617C741C136E.jpeg
    22B1EDE0-F8F4-4738-BD7F-617C741C136E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 253
  • FC952763-129C-49CA-8819-4BE45CD180BB.jpeg
    FC952763-129C-49CA-8819-4BE45CD180BB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 266
  • A638F52E-F19F-4937-92CF-86A38CC43713.jpeg
    A638F52E-F19F-4937-92CF-86A38CC43713.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 306
  • B00C5DB0-9986-4845-8542-BCCD67AB0F5D.jpeg
    B00C5DB0-9986-4845-8542-BCCD67AB0F5D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 349
  • B3F7CD3D-DA05-4FB2-BB25-DDB39961D8A5.jpeg
    B3F7CD3D-DA05-4FB2-BB25-DDB39961D8A5.jpeg
    757.1 KB · Views: 335

Joker4L

Reaction score
Sweet. Curious to see some feedback for it on the 2019s. I will likely be buying one at some point.

I am going to test it for at least 7 days before I give a good opinion/review on it.

I will say though the install took me less than 10mins and there were no service engine lights or codes thrown, engine started right up like I never did anything. I won't be running it in performance mode anytime soon since I use 87oct; however, in TOW MDS OFF mode, I noticed the throttle was much more sensitive than stock and that was only after one quick ride to Publix and back. It caught the wife and I off guard because the rear tires spun which has never happened before lol

I look forward to coming back after a week.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You sure do talk like you have first hand experience with Pulsar when you admitted everything you know about it you heard 3rd party. That’s like saying you don’t like food you never tried before because someone else said it was gross .... makes no sense

I at least will give the product a fair try and report back to this forum with an honest opinion. If the so called Surge exist then by all means I will report it and return it to the manufacturer if it doesn’t then I am a happy camper and the forums will then see that the surge might only be affecting some trucks.

I do have first hand experience, because I have been in the passenger seat of someone who has this installed. It doesn't "surge" but the exhaust note changes when MDS kicks on with an aftermarket muffler that he purchased. The ECO light doesn't light because the Pulsar kicks it out of MDS so quick. Now if you choose not to believe me or the other person who chimed in then fine. If yours doesn't do it when you get it then that is wonderful for you.

Users who are viewing this thread