5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best speedometer recalibration tool

Jeansebplante

Reaction score
I would assume (hopefully) that if the flashcal is listed as working for the 19’s and 20’s but also works on the 21’s than the RC unit should be the same. I’m going to go ahead and order and and give it a go whenever my truck actually shows up.
Would it also work with the diesel?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ended up getting the Hypertech, mainly because I couldn't buy the Rough County online anywhere over the holidays. At any rate it was very simple to use, hardest part was plugging it in.

Knowing your actual measured tire size is key, don't rely on the "tire size". You need to account for tire deflection from the weight of the vehicle, unless you're driving around at 80 psi.

In my case I have 275/70 r18 Michelin Defenders, 33.2" diameter. Michelin states that tire makes 627 revolutions per mile. 1 mile is 5280 feet, or 63,360 inches. Divide 63,360 inches by 627 revolutions and you end up with a circumference of 101.05 inches. Divide by pi (3.14159) for a rolling diameter of 32.17 inches.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
I read the RC instructions. Do I understand correctly, by “remove all cables”, you effectively remove the device, right?
The website states there’s a reset function - prior to servicing The truck. Does that mean it’s one of those things that void vehicle warranty?
I don’t need light shows and what have you and this thing does not seem to mess up other goodies such as navigation, park sensors, park assist (never used, truck is a ‘19) or helicopter view. $140 seems reasonable to me.

ArtieD

Reaction score
I read the RC instructions. Do I understand correctly, by “remove all cables”, you effectively remove the device, right?
The website states there’s a reset function - prior to servicing The truck. Does that mean it’s one of those things that void vehicle warranty?
I don’t need light shows and what have you and this thing does not seem to mess up other goodies such as navigation, park sensors, park assist (never used, truck is a ‘19) or helicopter view. $140 seems reasonable to me.
I think This one by rough country is not compatible if you have park assist, Pretty sure that it is stated on website but it does have reset to stock tires,
not sure if it actually saves the original calibrations , But if you change or lift your truck you pretty much lose your warranty unless you can proof the suspension has nothing to do with the problem you need warranty on, I wonder if someone here ever had warranty work after lifting truck?

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
According to the RC website the incompatibility with park assist is only for 20+ models. Lift is 2” Mopar. Both lift and tires are dealer installed.
Got a 7 yr unlimited mile warranty, I’d rather not void it.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Crap... doesn’t validate my address. I’ll have to call them.
so which free iPhone app do you guyes use to verify speed?

doolin64

Reaction score
Here's the link:

Really easy to do and my speedo is spot on with the GPS on my phone now. Make sure you measure the actual height of your tires, not the stated height on the tire documentation, they compress a bit under the weight of the truck. My tire's stated height vs. measure height was 3/4" different.
Does your park assist function still work? Seems weird that Rough Country's has issues with 21's and park assist but other brands don't. I just don't want too be getting weird errors and messages once I adjust for tire size.

gzgg99

Reaction score
Does your park assist function still work? Seems weird that Rough Country's has issues with 21's and park assist but other brands don't. I just don't want too be getting weird errors and messages once I adjust for tire size.
I haven't tried it to be honest. I just park on my own. My Jeep GC I traded in for the Ram had park assist and I used it 2x, once to back in and once to parallel just to test it and never used it again. Next time I'm out I'll give it a test.

doolin64

Reaction score
I haven't tried it to be honest. I just park on my own. My Jeep GC I traded in for the Ram had park assist and I used it 2x, once to back in and once to parallel just to test it and never used it again. Next time I'm out I'll give it a test.
Same, I don't use it either. I tried once in a parking lot. If it didn't work it wouldn't be the end of the world, I just don't want warning lights. Plus mentally...it's a new truck and I feel like everything should work.

I do rely on parking sensors and adaptive cruise. I'd like to make sure no issues there. That would be a deal breaker.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
I found and old Garmin Nuvi in a drawer, which has speed on the display. We have one of those “your speed is” things when driving into town, but it refuses to show anything over 45 (30 zone), probably for people like me who want to see how accurate the speedometer is at 75.
Anyway, before the bigger tires my speedometer matched that thing and now l‘m 1 or 2 over at 30 mph. I’ll use the Garmin for higher speeds and decide on the RC calibrator (Once I’m aware of something being off, it bothers me so I probably will get one). Price went up from 140 to 170.

doolin64

Reaction score
I haven't put larger tires on my Ram yet, but when i added 35's to my Gladiator, the 8spd transmission shifted oddly. I used the AEV programmer for that (not available for our Rams) and it made a world of difference. I was less worried about the actual speed/mileage being shown, than I was with the shift points and performance of the transmission. Granted the hemi makes up for a lot that compared with the pentastar 6.

Texas_Ram

Reaction score
I haven't put larger tires on my Ram yet, but when i added 35's to my Gladiator, the 8spd transmission shifted oddly. I used the AEV programmer for that (not available for our Rams) and it made a world of difference. I was less worried about the actual speed/mileage being shown, than I was with the shift points and performance of the transmission. Granted the hemi makes up for a lot that compared with the pentastar 6.

This is true, when I added bigger tires I was more worried about the transmission and shifts. Truck felt like it was off, lagging and slow. , It was holding or coming out of gear at the wrong speeds! Rough country recalibration speedo got it back running right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
RC ordered through Amazon. Speed doesn’t seem to be excessively off. 55 on the dash is about 58, 65 is about 69.
i went from the std Duelers (275/55r20) to 295/60r20 Wildpeaks. Odometer (trip) showed 5.1 mls vs 5.5 on the Garmin. I haven’t noticed shifting changes (against strong wind or uphill results in downshifting more than before though, not unexpected). Besides, there is an expectation that I go 4-5 miles over the speed limit to “keep up with traffic”. Keeping the peace is worth $170; she wouldn’t accept the explanation.
That said, lift and tires solved my issue for my wife (not for 2 of our 4 dogs):
Now if I could only fly in a catback (Mopar) exhaust under the radar....

Jimmymc

Reaction score
RC ordered through Amazon. Speed doesn’t seem to be excessively off. 55 on the dash is about 58, 65 is about 69.
i went from the std Duelers (275/55r20) to 295/60r20 Wildpeaks. Odometer (trip) showed 5.1 mls vs 5.5 on the Garmin. I haven’t noticed shifting changes (against strong wind or uphill results in downshifting more than before though, not unexpected). Besides, there is an expectation that I go 4-5 miles over the speed limit to “keep up with traffic”. Keeping the peace is worth $170; she wouldn’t accept the explanation.
That said, lift and tires solved my issue for my wife (not for 2 of our 4 dogs):
Now if I could only fly in a catback (Mopar) exhaust under the radar....
What year is your rig? I’m still waiting on my 21 to show up and am curious if the RC will work on it. I don’t ever anticipate having to use the parking assist so as long as it doesn’t change anything else I’d like to try the RC over the super chips flashcal

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Mine is a 2019, it was a bit of an impulse type of deal. Took my Jeep in for service in dec. 2018 and the truck sat there in the showroom all shiny and pretty. I feel kinda bada$$ with the lift and the tires, but the misses misses the Jeep (‘14 GC Overland 5.7).

kittyjo

Reaction score
Just got the rough country recalibrate 90019 for my 35/12.5/20 nitto ridge grapplers set to 33.25 and it is dead on!!! Read it with several different gps devices..

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Did you measure your tires or did you go through trial and error?
My Falken tires are advertised as 34”. I don’t know if there’s a difference measuring a tire up/down or left/right. But, in the end, whatever works to make things accurate.

kittyjo

Reaction score
Did you measure your tires or did you go through trial and error?
My Falken tires are advertised as 34”. I don’t know if there’s a difference measuring a tire up/down or left/right. But, in the end, whatever works to make things accurate.
I just measured from top of tire to the ground, was only off by 1mph when test driving so just knocked it down .25 and good to go lol works for me

Truckguy

Reaction score
Just got the rough country recalibrate 90019 for my 35/12.5/20 nitto ridge grapplers set to 33.25 and it is dead on!!! Read it with several different gps devices..
Can you tell any difference in shift points?

Users who are viewing this thread